Reply and thanks to Trish and Riccardo from Graffeo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Graffeo
Rookie
Rookie

Reply and thanks to Trish and Riccardo from Graffeo

Post by Graffeo »

Can't seem to get my response to post on the original thread where you both helped me to find my Great grandfather's arrival date and departure place.

Trish wrote: "Also, I know for a fact the the surname Graffeo is in the town of Sciacca...."

You are so right. I've looked at a surname distribution map and that is where about 200 Graffeos live today. If I am not mistaken in interpreting the translated article I read about Sciacca many noble families of Sicily had their palaces in Sciacca and the Graffeos had a palace there too.

However, I think my great great grandfather is the one who departed from Genoa! The immigration date and age line up just about right with the information he gave on the 1900 census.

And there ARE a few Graffeos in Genoa today and it seems that Graffeos had a presence there as far back as the 15 century. I found an essay with the name Graffeo in it. It's called Islands, Corsairs and Pirates in the Mediveal Mediterranean. Seems the Graffeos were involved in maritime trade or warfare or something. I can't tell much about it because the translation from Italian to English is horrid. But it seems they are connected with Genoa in that article.

Thank you so much Trish. It looks like the next stop will be Genoa. I am sorry to take so long to respond it has been a very busy day. And thank you too Riccardo. Those addresses and the draft record suggestion are great. I would not know where to start without your help.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Reply and thanks to Trish and Riccardo from Graffeo

Post by ricbru »

You are welcome
good luck for your research
bye Riccardo :lol:
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Reply and thanks to Trish and Riccardo from Graffeo