?? Barone, Vercillo, Anselmo family ??

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
sab002
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 30 Oct 2006, 00:00

?? Barone, Vercillo, Anselmo family ??

Postby sab002 » 30 Oct 2006, 02:34

Hello I am new to this forum. I stumbled upon it while trying to reasearch my family history and am hoping to find some help.

Its a long story but here is who I'm looking for and trying to learn more about.

I'm trying to find out where my Grandpa's real father is. His mother, Maria Barone was married to a man (Guiseppe) "Vercillo" and had one son... he died in WW1 and she later became a helper at a family home, the Anselmo's. She became pregnant with a son by the "man of the house" and this son was born and sent away to be adopted... there are no records of this child I can find, I don't know where hes gone. The second son born to Maria and this man with the last name "Anselmo" was my grandfather, who she kept but was shunned away because she kept him. She gave my Grandfather her maiden name, which is Barone. I know my Grandpa has one half brother - Filippo who is older and still resides in Italy. I am on the look to find this missing son which would be my grandpa's full brother and the family of the man who is the biological father of my grandpa and his full brother.

Here is what I do know:

Maria Barone married Guiseppe Vercillo and had on son named Filippo. Guiseppe died in the war and Maria then got pregnant by (first name) Anselmo, the child was a boy and was sent away to be adopted. A few years later Maria was pregnant again and my Grandfather was born (1926), who she named "Ernesto Barone" he had her maiden name. (My Nonna thinks Maria changed her name back to Barone and died with that name, but I can't find any records). My Nonna and Ernesto married. My Grandfather came to canada in 1951 and my Grandma followed in 1954, by this time they had one son who was almost 4 or 5 years old named Ezio. He is my uncle. Since then they had another son, he is my father. So, I am looking for info on my great grandparents....

I am looking for any information at all on Maria (Vercillo) Barone and the man she was originally married to (Guiseppe Vercillo) and the man she had an affair with (We believe he was married when he got Maria preg. twice) who's last name is Anselmo. These events all took place in Grimaldi, Cosenza, Italy where both my Nonna and Grandpa grew up. I can not find any records of Maria under either last names.

Some other info is I believe my nonna was contacted by this unknown son who was given away, his name was Paul Vercillo from Thunder Bay and another questionable person has the last name Caruso. This info is not definite as its only a possibility. Back when they were contacted (my grandparents) my Grandpa (Ernesto) was ashaimed and wanted nothing to do with the atempt of this family tree.

Sorry such a long story. :oops:

User avatar
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4601
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: ?? Barone, Vercillo, Anselmo family ??

Postby nuccia » 30 Oct 2006, 04:45

Hi sab002

No need to be embarrassed..this was not an unusal occurance. Especially in the sames towns in Cosenza..The same thing happened in my family and I'm sure in many others.

There is a mailing list dedicated to the those from Grimaldi..

http://www.rootsweb.com/~jfuller/gen_ma ... y-ita.html

There is also a mailing list on the same page for infants given up for adoption in the 1800 you could try.

They might be able to help you. Someone might remember the family as they did in mine but...

As for actual documentation, I can almost bet that on your grandfathers birth certificate it will list his father as unknown as it will on his brothers. :cry:

Good luck in your search and keep us posted.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Image
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

User avatar
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2109
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?? Barone, Vercillo, Anselmo family ??

Postby jcsm400 » 30 Oct 2006, 04:53

Quote:These events all took place in Grimaldi, Cosenza, Italy where both my Nonna and Grandpa grew up. I can not find any records of Maria under either last names.

Have you checked the LDS Church films for the town of Gimaldi?

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... o+civile++

Contacted the city hall and or the parish priest for information?

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/078/059/index.html

Written to potential relatives in Grimaldi?...1st line type the surname, 3rd line type the town & click on cerca.

http://www.paginebianche.it/index.html

:) jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

User avatar
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4601
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: ?? Barone, Vercillo, Anselmo family ??

Postby nuccia » 30 Oct 2006, 05:08

jcsm

Sent you a PM.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Image
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

User avatar
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4601
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: ?? Barone, Vercillo, Anselmo family ??

Postby nuccia » 30 Oct 2006, 05:13

The mailing list is but I don't remember how I registered...

grimaldifamilies@yahoogroups.com
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Image
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

User avatar
sab002
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 30 Oct 2006, 00:00

Re: ?? Barone, Vercillo, Anselmo family ??

Postby sab002 » 30 Oct 2006, 05:43

Nuccia, thank you so much for your help and encouragement! I am very excited about my search, my only downfall is not knowing how to speak or read Italian. I will join that group!! Thanks for the address!

jcsm400 - thanks for those links, I'm going to call city hall tomorrow and see if I can get a hold of any information.

Thank you!

If anyone else has info please post and let me know, my call to City Hall might turn up dead, probably only because no one there might speak English to help, lol.

User avatar
Russo52
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 27 Feb 2010, 22:01

Re: ?? Barone, Vercillo, Anselmo family ??

Postby Russo52 » 27 Feb 2010, 22:08

sab002 wrote:Hello I am new to this forum. I stumbled upon it while trying to reasearch my family history and am hoping to find some help.

Its a long story but here is who I'm looking for and trying to learn more about.

I'm trying to find out where my Grandpa's real father is. His mother, Maria Barone was married to a man (Guiseppe) "Vercillo" and had one son... he died in WW1 and she later became a helper at a family home, the Anselmo's. She became pregnant with a son by the "man of the house" and this son was born and sent away to be adopted... there are no records of this child I can find, I don't know where hes gone. The second son born to Maria and this man with the last name "Anselmo" was my grandfather, who she kept but was shunned away because she kept him. She gave my Grandfather her maiden name, which is Barone. I know my Grandpa has one half brother - Filippo who is older and still resides in Italy. I am on the look to find this missing son which would be my grandpa's full brother and the family of the man who is the biological father of my grandpa and his full brother.

Here is what I do know:

Maria Barone married Guiseppe Vercillo and had on son named Filippo. Guiseppe died in the war and Maria then got pregnant by (first name) Anselmo, the child was a boy and was sent away to be adopted. A few years later Maria was pregnant again and my Grandfather was born (1926), who she named "Ernesto Barone" he had her maiden name. (My Nonna thinks Maria changed her name back to Barone and died with that name, but I can't find any records). My Nonna and Ernesto married. My Grandfather came to canada in 1951 and my Grandma followed in 1954, by this time they had one son who was almost 4 or 5 years old named Ezio. He is my uncle. Since then they had another son, he is my father. So, I am looking for info on my great grandparents....

I am looking for any information at all on Maria (Vercillo) Barone and the man she was originally married to (Guiseppe Vercillo) and the man she had an affair with (We believe he was married when he got Maria preg. twice) who's last name is Anselmo. These events all took place in Grimaldi, Cosenza, Italy where both my Nonna and Grandpa grew up. I can not find any records of Maria under either last names.

Some other info is I believe my nonna was contacted by this unknown son who was given away, his name was Paul Vercillo from Thunder Bay and another questionable person has the last name Caruso. This info is not definite as its only a possibility. Back when they were contacted (my grandparents) my Grandpa (Ernesto) was ashaimed and wanted nothing to do with the atempt of this family tree.

Sorry such a long story. :oops:

User avatar
Russo52
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 27 Feb 2010, 22:01

Re: ?? Barone, Vercillo, Anselmo family ??

Postby Russo52 » 27 Feb 2010, 23:32

It sounds like your Grandpa was my Mom's cousin. Your Grandma's name Teresa?

User avatar
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4601
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: ?? Barone, Vercillo, Anselmo family ??

Postby nuccia » 28 Feb 2010, 18:34

I am looking for any information at all on Maria (Vercillo) Barone and the man she was originally married to (Guiseppe Vercillo)..

Here is Giuseppe`s death information from the war listing his fathers name, date of birth and death:
Giuseppe Vercillio di Pasquale
Soldato 9° reggimento fanteria nato il 15 Marzo 1888 a Grimaldi, distretto militare di Cosenza, morto il 14 giugno 1918 nell`ospedaletto da campo n. 042 per malattia.
http://www.cadutigrandeguerra.it/Albo_O ... %5C647.jpg

Also, the war dead for the name of Anselmo to be used only as a reference:

http://www.cadutigrandeguerra.it/Albo_O ... 9%5C23.jpg

There are 57 births with the Anselmo name born in Grimaldi up to 1883. The records are not up any further yet but you may want to keep checking the Cosenza Archive site as they are adding info daily.

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/consulta_ ... lice.faces
Some other info is I believe my nonna was contacted by this unknown son who was given away, his name was Paul Vercillo from Thunder Bay
There is still a Vercilli living in Thunder Bay - she is listed in the white pages but I will not post the info here. Just check on the www.411.ca site for it.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Image
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

User avatar
cecsheets
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 18:44

Re: ?? Barone, Vercillo, Anselmo family ??

Postby cecsheets » 19 Apr 2010, 18:53

Russo52 wrote:It sounds like your Grandpa was my Mom's cousin. Your Grandma's name Teresa?


Wondering if it's the same woman...

My husband's great-grandmother was Theresa Barone of Nicastro, a small town in the province of Catanzaro in the Calabria region of southern Italy. Theresa married Antonio Mercurio and had a son Michele. Antonio emmigrated to America in 1901. Theresa and Michele followed in 1905.

Thanks! Christine


Return to “Italian Genealogy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests