How to read Microfilm 101

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie

How to read Microfilm 101

Postby SimoneTessitore » 11 Nov 2006, 20:04

HELP. I just had my first experience with trying to read a piece of microfilm. We put it on the glass, took it off and flipped it over, slid it into place, found the correst last name, found the correct first name (x200).

Once I started looking at each name I realized I couldn't tell, going left to right, which lines belonged to which name. There are 3 rows of text between each solid _____________. How can you tell what goes with what? Is it two lines of information per person?

Is there a guide out there somewhere for me to learn this somewhat basic skill?

Thanks.

Simone Tessitore
Tulsa, OK

brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: How to read Microfilm 101

Postby brujaojos » 12 Nov 2006, 00:19

Dear Simone,

Did the Volunteers at the Family History Center show you how to put the film on correctly? Always ask for help, that's what we are there for!

The films you are looking at are in Italian, but you will be able to get by with finding your ancestors. A good book to get is "A Genealogist's Guide to Discovering your Italian Ancestors", by Lynn Nelson. It's a very easy to understand.

Now what type of records are you looking at? Are you looking at birth records? Not all films have Indexes. When this happens, you basically have to look at each record in order to find your ancestors.

It sounds like what you are describing are the Indexes. The Indexes are sometimes before the records (usually in the Molise Region films) and at the end of the records (usually in the Calabria Region films).

If these are Birth Indexes, it would list the child's name, and the Birth Act Number. However, depending on the town, some Indexes list the child's name, parents' names, dates of birth, and Birth Act Number.

This is an example from the Italian microfilms from the Family History Center:

On this roll of film it states the following:

Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1810 - FHL INTL Film [ 1468121 Item 5 ]

This means that on this roll of film at Item 5, there are Birth Acts, Marriage Acts with the Noticifaction of Marriage and the Processetti for those Marriage Acts, and Death Acts for the year of 1810.

Here is a break down of the words and what the document would be.

Nati - means birth, so these are the Birth Acts

Pubblicazioni- Is the Publication of Marriage or known as the Banns of Marriage. They were attached the door of the Town Hall 4 times to make sure that no one opposed of the Marriage. They are just like our "Banns of Marriage" when we get married in a Catholic Church.

Also, the Pubblicazaioni were usually from 1865 to the present. Plus you can find information on the parents such as their ages.

Notificazioni - are similar to the Banns. They are just announcements of a couple getting married.

Matrimoni - Marriage Acts. It is when the actual Marriage took place. However, the date for the actual marriage on the records from 1820-1865 are on the right hand side where the Church information is located. So it won't always be the same as the date it was written.

Processetti - Are documents collected in order for a marriage to take place. These records are usually between the years of 1820-1865. In these records you will find copies of the Birth Acts of the bride and groom. If a the spouse was a widow/widower, the death act of that spouse would be there to prove that the person could remarry. If a parent was deceased, then you would find a copy of the Death Act of that parent. And if the father was deceased, you might even find a copy of the grandfather's Death Act for a person was supposed to prove their lineage.

Morti - meand Death, so these are Death Acts.

Cittadinanze - These are the records of the people that went from one town to another and declared their citizenship in that town.

Atti Diversi - does mean other documents - They are a "unorganized" records. They could be a combination of Birth, Marriage, and Death Acts all thrown together. Use these records as a last resort.

If you are looking at birth records, that the information that you are looking for is in the body of the record. Tell me the year that you are looking at and I'm sure I can tell you where to find the important information on your ancestor.

Also, always remember not to be afraid to ask the volunteers for help. We are there to help you. I know this, vor I am a Volunteer, Research Assistant, and Teacher at my local Family History Center for the last 6 years. If you have questions, just ask, and I'll try to explain.

I hope some of this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum

SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SimoneTessitore » 12 Nov 2006, 00:36

Trish; Thanks very much for the insight. I asked the volunteers tons of questions and they really couldn't answer any of them. They were kind of 'filling in' for the regulars and they suggested I come back on Wednesday night when 'the guys' are there that know everything.

I don't know which kind of film I was looking at. I 6x8" square, slide it under the glass and scross until you find Russo, Maria. Then look at what is above and below her to the right. Is it the above or below I'm interested in? I see the columns for B (birth) C (christening) etc, the column for date of the event. I guess I just need one of their experts to walk me throught it once so I can get the hang of it.

I have a SS# application for my grandmother, Philomena Palladino that lists her mother as Maria Sylvia Russo. The ship manifest shows Maria, along with her first two daughters Philomena and Pasqualina coming over on the Moltke in Oct 1911, leaving behind Marias father, Pasquale. What I'm trying to find is birth / marriage / records for Maria, birth for the two daughters (born 1908 and 1912 respectively) And Maria's father Pasquales birthdate, Maria's mother's name / birthdate / marriage. You know the stuff. I just can't see to narrow it down. Maria was born between 1887 and 1890, depending on which Census, manifest, or birth certificate you want to believe.

Oh ya, and they're all from Caserta, Italy.

Thanks
Simone

brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby brujaojos » 12 Nov 2006, 04:26

SimoneTessitore wrote:I don't know which kind of film I was looking at. I 6x8" square, slide it under the glass and scross until you find Russo, Maria. Then look at what is above and below her to the right. Is it the above or below I'm interested in? I see the columns for B (birth) C (christening) etc, the column for date of the event. I guess I just need one of their experts to walk me throught it once so I can get the hang of it.

Thanks

Hi Simone,

After reading this part of your message, I agree with JCSM that you were looking at microfiche and not microfilm. Microfiche is a close cousin microfilm, and has been around for years. They are valuable research sources.They were used prior to microfilm. A microfiche is a 4 by 5 inch (10.2 by 15.2 cm) piece of photographic film, containing printed information in a size too small to be seen by the naked eye.

Were you looking at birth information on the the family from the State such as New York?

Now per the information you gave us, I posted the manifest below for Sylvia and her children.

Per this manifest, Sylvia is listed as Rossi not Russo. Her father is Pasquale Rossi who she left in Italy. They were going to go see her husband, Francesco Palladino.

Per this manifest, the came from the town of Caserta and they were born in the town of Caserta. Here is the link of the manifest if any one is looking.

Page 1

Page 2

Now the Family History Center does have microfilm that you can order and rent for $5.75 a roll depending your location. On the microfilm you can find copies of the birth, marriage, and death records of your ancestors. Here is the link for the film numbers.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... itleno=767

Here is the address for the town in case you want to write instead of ordering the films.

Ufficio Stato Civile
Comune di Caserta
Piazza Vanvitelli, 64
81100 Caserta CE
ITALY

Here is the official web site of the town.
http://www.comune.caserta.it/

Here is a link that will help you translate your letter into Italian.

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

I hope this helps some
Trish

Trish

Genealogy-Forum

SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SimoneTessitore » 12 Nov 2006, 17:47

Thanks Trish. I have the manifests showing when Maria and her first two girls came over in 1911, leaving behind her father Pasquale. And I was looking at the film from Italy, listed by last name, Russo. There has been speculation that it's Rossi, but Maria always used Russo.

So if I use the form letter you linked above, and mail it (registered) to the address above I might, eventually get something in the mail. But if I order the film for $5.75 per roll I can review (and print) it for a month at the History Center? You listed over 160 film numbers. Is each # $5.75? So even if I narrowed it down to 10 I want to see it will be $57.50? Ouch. I guess I can see the benefit of writing directly to Italy.

Thanks again,

Simone
Simone

SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SimoneTessitore » 12 Nov 2006, 18:45

Nati, pubblicazioni, matrimoni, morti, cittadinanze 1905-1909 Nati 1910 - FHL INTL Film [ 1799330 ]

So if I understand... the above film would show me a birth in 1905, a marriage in 1906, a death in 1909, and a birth in 1910. All on that one film. OK, I guess I'll only start with 5 or 6 films.

That's a relief.
Simone

brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby brujaojos » 12 Nov 2006, 19:04

Hi Simone,

Nati, pubblicazioni, matrimoni, morti, cittadinanze 1905-1909 Nati 1910 - FHL INTL Film [ 1799330 ]

The film you listed above is the Birth records from 1905-1910. It's the Marriage records with Publications from 1905-1909. It's the Death records from 1905-1900, and the Citizenship records from 1905-1909.

From the Birth records of the children, you will be able to find the age of the father and most times the age of the mother. You might even find the street they were living on. There could be other clues on the records, however, it's basically up to the individual who was filling out the record and what he decided to put on the records.

Each record is going to give you a clue about your ancestors.

And I always like the microfillms. Even though they are a bit of an expense, least you can get a copy of the actual document from 1809-1910.

If you have other questions, just ask!

I hope this helps,
Trish

Trish

Genealogy-Forum

SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SimoneTessitore » 12 Nov 2006, 19:20

Thanks so much. I film I listed above should have my grandmother's birth in 1908, leading me to her parents births and marriage (I hope). This is alot harder now that's we've 'crossed back' to Italy.

Any hints on how to get birth records from New York and Connecticut between 1912 and 1928?

You guys are really great. I want you all to know how much I appreciate your help. Two months ago the only thing I knew was 'my dad had some sisters'. Now I have a tree with about 250 people and I've made contact with a dozen of them personally.

I couldn't have done it without you.

Simone Tessitore
Tulsa, Oklahoma

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 12 Nov 2006, 19:32

Scroll thru the entire page:
http://www.vitalrec.com/ny.html

The Lds also has extensive microfilm available for New York.

and a link for the archives:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vi ... home.shtml

wldspirit

Return to “Italian Genealogy”