Cassandro/Cassandra and Sulla from Venosa, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jcass1962

Cassandro/Cassandra and Sulla from Venosa, Italy

Postby jcass1962 » 12 Nov 2006, 01:51

Hi all;
Just discovered this great site and hoping to find information or direction for tracking down deeper italian ancestors from Venosa area. I have found more than expected on grandfather but now looking to follow Paternal sides of both grandfather and grandmother if possible and would appreciate any help in getting started tracking much older information. What I have so far paternal side:

Paternal Grandfather: Alfredo Cassandro (alternates with Cassandra at times in documents and finally stayed with Cassandra in 1920's). Brothers of Alfredo are Michele, Francesco, and Vincenzo. All came to USA from Venosa in early 1900's. I have immigration and naturalization docs for Alfredo, etc.

Paternal Great-Grandfather: Rocco Cassandra
Paternal Great-Grandmother: Felicia Picciotti (she was widowed and eventually came to USA in 1923 - died in 1926 - have death certificate)
Her parents are Michaelangelo Picciotti and Rosa Reppa

-------------
Maternal Side:

Grandmother: Maria Rosaria Sulla from Venosa. Has brother Lorenzo Sulla.
Parents: Raffaele Sulla, Anna Duacco from Venosa
Grandmother - Maria La Torraca from Venosa

My grandparents seemed to follow Italian naming tradition:
First son: Rocco (Robert)
First daughter: Felicia (Phyllis)
2nd son: Raffaele (Ralph)
3rd son: Domenico (Dominick - my dad)
2nd daughter: Ann

Does anyone know people who can do research in Venosa for records? Thanks so much and sorry for long post. Will be shorter in future.

Jon

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Cassandro/Cassandra and Sulla from Venosa, Italy

Postby wldspirit » 12 Nov 2006, 02:15

Welcome to ItalianGenealogy!! No need to apologize for the post, excellent summary!!

I am assuming you have all US documents, and are only in need of Italian documents.

You have three options:

Check for microfilmed records at the Lds, your best resource.

Write to the town of origin, which will only take you back so far, as Italy did not formally begin to keep civil records until 1860/1870. Although under Napoleon rule they can start as early as 1804/1809.

Send for parish records, which can be hard to get, depending on the parish priest. Some are more than willing to answer request, others are not.

Let us know how you would like to proceed.
wldspirit

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Cassandro/Cassandra and Sulla from Venosa, Italy

Postby wldspirit » 12 Nov 2006, 02:21

Sending you a pm.
wldspirit

Return to “Italian Genealogy”