What does this name mean,if anything?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

What does this name mean,if anything?

Postby xero » 12 Nov 2006, 21:17

I have been looking for the meaning of my ancestors name,Scarvaci,but can find nothing. I was told that it had no meaning,it was just a name.The
name seems to be from the Messina,Sicily area. Thanks in advance for any help.
Xero
xero

Re: What does this name mean,if anything?

Postby Moneyman2010mn » 13 Nov 2006, 00:17

Sorry but when I type in the last name at ancestry.com a meaning wasn't provided. Maybe someone else will have better luck looking it up.
Moneyman2010mn

Postby Graffeo » 16 Nov 2006, 06:01

xero wrote:I have been looking for the meaning of my ancestors name,Scarvaci,but can find nothing. I was told that it had no meaning,it was just a name.The
name seems to be from the Messina,Sicily area. Thanks in advance for any help.
Xero

At the Ellis Island web site there are about 50 immigrants listed with the surname of Scarvaci and a lot of them came from Naso in Sicily. It might help if you look up the history of that town, centuries ago it may have been under Saracen influence and your name may be a arab word that has been latinized. You might have to trace it back through your ancestors to make sure it is not a corrupted form of another, more usual name.

From an article I found online:

"Since the spelling of surnames was rarely consistent in medieval times, and scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded rather than adhering to any specific spelling rules, it was common to find the same individual referred to with different spellings of his surname in the ancient chronicles."
Hope this helps.
Graffeo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby suanj » 16 Nov 2006, 11:45

the Scarvaci surname, is most probable a mistaken version of SCARPACI/ SCARPACE sicilian surname,..... for the meaning ricbru member can help better.. regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby scarpo » 21 Oct 2012, 10:32

My surname is SCARVACI & my parents came from Naso in Sicily They migrated to Australia in 1950
Carlo Scarvaci
scarpo

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy