de BLASIO . .de BLASIS. . . Latin for Biasi or de Biasi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
trevisan2
Master
Master

de BLASIO . .de BLASIS. . . Latin for Biasi or de Biasi

Post by trevisan2 »

I recently learned a few months ago that my surname before 1722 was
de Blasio. A certain Pietro de Blasio came to Soffratta and registered in the marriage publications was the Latin name. His father was listed as "Valentini" or di Valentino or of Valentino in Italian as I understand it.

What is amazing is the Priest at Soffratta told me about two boxes of documents that he gave away to a local, because the parish was cleaning up. It took me several trips, just to find the man, then I sorted through the documents several times.

These records were dirty, had a stench and a few spider webs on them. Most of the records were of fiancial transactions, Notary records.
A year later, this past September I felt that I needed to take another look at the documents. I then found the marriage publication.

The marriage act was written mostly in Latin, difficult at best to read, because of the bleeding through from the opposite page. A friend of mine called me four times the next day, saying your Biasi's come from another parish!!
The Biasi's or de Blasio's now come from the Felletti or of Felletto in the hills area above Conegliano.

We have now extended the line back three more generations to 1637.

You never know when you will get that much needed lucky break.

Maybe one of you could give me instructions on how to post a photo of the marriage act. . . its amazing!

Regards,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore, Cavalo, Fumane, Verona

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: de BLASIO . . . Latin for Biasi or de Biasi

Post by nuccia »

Wow...sounds like you have been busy. Must be pretty exciting to trace your family that far back.

Perseverance and a lucky break...sounds like you had both! Congrats! :D :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

here you go Dave, hope this helps :)

Post by JamesBianco »

here is a link to the extreemely large highest quality version...
1722 Marriage
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Wow..Can you actually read this? I have no idea what it says...is there a guide to reading Latin?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The Lds provides a Latin word list as well as the Italian word list:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/ ... LLatin.ASP

Most of the older records are written in Latin and some include many abbreviations:

http://lnx.bertotti.it/genealogia/modul ... =21&page=1

wldspirit
trevisan2
Master
Master

Post by trevisan2 »

Thanks wldspirit. ..

that latin web site is amazing. I liked the volgare section. . . I learned a few things from it. Nice to see the same writing style, that I see in the parish books.

thanks for the link.

regards,
trevisan2
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Your very welcome!! :D

Given your experience, it's nice to know that the abbreviations are helpful,
as I have never seen parish books.....given the record above.....they must be very difficult to read!!!!
wldspirit
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Lee thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it too and know it will come in handy. :D :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Nuccia.....if I had to look thru those type of records.....I would have no choice but to go get glasses.........LOL......... 8O
Lee
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

After going through hundreds, no better yet thousands of these records your eyes get quite acclimated to the handwriting, even though it naturally changes priest to priest. I have up on my site the Latin Church marriages for Carini, Provincia di Palermo 1527-1905 here.

A couple of volunteers and I have extracted a great span of years into excel 1568-1809 here and let me tell you what a challenge that was.

It's funny now I have trouble with the civil records because I seldom use them anymore.

Great links wldspirit I have bookmarked them and will surely benefit from the information provided.

Jim :)
trevisan2
Master
Master

Post by trevisan2 »

I recently was able to personally see the parish records at Rua, San Pietro di Feletto, of Treviso, where these records come from.

Three of us spent two hours looking the records over. The surname now looks to be de Blasis. We have extended the line back to a Leonardo de Blasis abt 1612.

It apears that Pietro son of Leonardo de Blasis cam from another parish, because his birth information is not registered at Rua.

Regards,
Trevisan2