Italian Genealogy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mydream

Italian Genealogy

Postby mydream » 18 Nov 2006, 03:43

I am new to researching genealogy and was wondering if there are any sites like Ancertry.com that actually contain Italian genealogy based on info before coming to the US? An aunt of mine told me about a Dutch site that she goes to and can find past info. of her family while living there. For example, I am researching some info for a friend and have everything until his family came to the US; however, now I want to try to find info in Italy. Does Italy have anything like the US census etc that you can search in, birth records, marriage, death, etc? I am assumming not since I have read through this site. However, I figured it would not hurt to ask. :roll:

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Italian Genealogy

Postby wldspirit » 18 Nov 2006, 05:11

There are very few transcribed records for Italy online. Research is done thru microfilm and sending for actual documentation.

There is no equalvilent to Ancestry or even a "state" resource as we have in the US.

Hope this helps....
wldspirit

Graffeo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Graffeo » 18 Nov 2006, 05:24

Well what I am doing to try to find info that can only be recorded in Italy is to FIRST go to http://www.familysearch.org/
This is the Mormon Church who have a huge collection of records of briths, deaths ect from all over the world and back in time. I am sure someone on this forum can explain what they do but to me the next step is to go to the Family Search org to see what they may have. Do not start writing letters to Italy yet. You may find a lot of records from Italy that the Family Search org already has on microfilm that you will have to order and view at one of their volunteer areas in your area.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 18 Nov 2006, 06:18

If you are interested in microfilm, here is an outline for use:

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =2581.html

wldspirit

mydream

Postby mydream » 18 Nov 2006, 18:43

THANK YOU ALL!!! I have pulled up family search and have some more info to research. I have tried this link and cannot get it to pull up. Can you give me the info after "tardi..." italiangenealogy.tardi...=2581.html. I really appreciate this. Trying to get info as a gift for xmas so I have not giving myself much time! :wink:

mydream

Postby mydream » 18 Nov 2006, 18:46

wldspirit, Nevermind. I just realized I just needed to link on the link instead of copying and pasting to http address field.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”