Great Great Grandad Rocco Mazza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ScarletM

Great Great Grandad Rocco Mazza

Postby ScarletM » 20 Nov 2006, 11:02

Hello,

I am trying to trace Rocco Mazza born 1847c in Italy (also recorded as Dominico Rocco Mazza on Marriage Cert).

Rocco and his brother Antonio b1846c arrived in the UK approx 1856 with their Father Dominico b1821c and Mother Maria b1828c. The family is first noted on the 1861 UK census living in a Nottingham boarding house and occupation as travelling musicians. By 1881 Rocco has moved to Leeds with his wife Annie and is now employed as a hawker...believed to be icecream industry.

I have exhausted British searches..census, marriage certificates, military etc I would like to ask if anyone has any advice on how to search for Rocco's birthplace. It is through word of mouth in the family that i understand the family may be from Naples, but i have no real evidence.

I have read other messages on this website and read suggestions about visiting the family research centre.. is it possible to search for Naples Registration records?

thankyou in advance
regards Charlotte

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Great Great Grandad Rocco Mazza

Postby jcsm400 » 20 Nov 2006, 14:53

Hi Charlotte,

Welcome to the forum!

Have you obtained church records for the family? Birth records for Rocco's & Antonio's children?

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

FERRANTI

Postby FERRANTI » 20 Nov 2006, 15:30

ciao
Io me chiamo ADRIAN FERRANTI , mi tatarabuelo RAFFAELLE FERRANTI e mia tatarabuela IRENE CIPRIANI , junto a mio bice abuelo DOMENICO FERRANTI , arriviano a la ARGENTINA , in 29/11/1898 en buque VICTTORIA , de GENOVA , ma no lo se di dove sono .-
¿ Sicilia ?
grazie , scuza per mi italiano

ScarletM

Postby ScarletM » 21 Nov 2006, 05:42

Hello and thankyou for your welcome.

I have a copy of (Dominico)Rocco Mazza's Marriage Certificate, registered Nottingham UK 1873 and I have a copy of his first born son's birth certificate, James Rocco b1875.

On the Marriage Certificate Rocco is 23yrs (born 1850), confectioner and father is Dominic Rocco Mazza. Census details contradict Rocco's birth information..the UK census 1861 shows Rocco as 13yrs (born 1847/1848).

On the birth certificate father's name is registered as Rocco Massey.

Are there other church records which you suggest I could obtain?

Many thanks for your interest in this posting and i look forward to hearing from you soon.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”