'ALBERTO' - ITALIAN WWII POW - HOLSWORTHY/THORNBUR

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Aggie69

'ALBERTO' - ITALIAN WWII POW - HOLSWORTHY/THORNBUR

Postby Aggie69 » 29 Nov 2006, 13:22

The details I have are vague, however, I am trying to trace some information regarding a WWII Italian POW who I believe was at the Exhibition Field Camp, Holsworthy, Devon UK. For approx two years (circa 1943-45) he worked in the nearby village of Thornbury on a farm run by the Priest family.

He was the only POW working in the village and his first name was Alberto (surname is unknown). I have been told that he was known for his red hair and there is a possibility he remained in the area after the war ended.

I would be grateful if anyone has any information/recollections about this gentleman or alternatively could offer any other assistance to aid my search.

Thanks in advance.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: 'ALBERTO' - ITALIAN WWII POW - HOLSWORTHY/THOR

Postby suanj » 29 Nov 2006, 15:11

Prisoner of War Camps – Great Britain (Numerical order):

SS 343 047
Exhibition Field Camp, Holsworthy, IT WAS a German Working Camp, of
STANDARD type.. I believe that you can to contact the RED CROSS in UK, because without the surname it is impossible to know... also i believe that in the parish archive it will be some paper about italian POW, I read abt a Holsworthy church and abt italian Pow in Holsworthy...

Hung either side of the Belfry door are two hand painted glass windows depicting the nativity and the annunciation they were made by extracting dyes from vegetable matter and clothing by Italian prisoners of war around 1942, who were detained in the POW camp No 42 near Holsworthy. The site of Stanhope Close today. The windows were removed from the hut that served as the Roman Catholic Chapel for Italians and later for German POWs by Mr Whapham, a one time Church Warden, and kept in a garage for many years. and because the priest normally have a parish diary perhaps you can find something, regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Aggie69

Postby Aggie69 » 29 Nov 2006, 15:24

suanj wrote:Prisoner of War Camps – Great Britain (Numerical order):

SS 343 047
Exhibition Field Camp, Holsworthy, IT WAS a German Working Camp, of
STANDARD type.. I believe that you can to contact the RED CROSS in UK, because without the surname it is impossible to know... also i believe that in the parish archive it will be some paper about italian POW, I read abt a Holsworthy church and abt italian Pow in Holsworthy...

Hung either side of the Belfry door are two hand painted glass windows depicting the nativity and the annunciation they were made by extracting dyes from vegetable matter and clothing by Italian prisoners of war around 1942, who were detained in the POW camp No 42 near Holsworthy. The site of Stanhope Close today. The windows were removed from the hut that served as the Roman Catholic Chapel for Italians and later for German POWs by Mr Whapham, a one time Church Warden, and kept in a garage for many years. and because the priest normally have a parish diary perhaps you can find something, regards, suanj

Hi Suanj. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post with the above information which is very useful and interesting. I will write to the priest in Holsworthy regarding my query. Just as a matter of interest can you tell me where you found all this please?

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 29 Nov 2006, 20:38

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

serviuni

Postby serviuni » 06 Sep 2009, 18:50

Someone of USA can indicate me since(as,like) it has been the emigration of my family in Peru, Thank you
Miguel Villano
Miguel Villano C

Return to “Italian Genealogy”