WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Aggie69

WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!!

Postby Aggie69 » 30 Nov 2006, 09:44

The details I have are vague, however, I am trying to trace some information regarding a WWII Italian POW who I believe was at the Exhibition Field Camp, Holsworthy, Devon UK. For approx two years (circa 1943-45) he worked in the nearby village of Thornbury on a farm run by the Priest family.

He was the only POW working in the village and his first name was Alberto (surname is unknown). I have been told that he was known for his red hair and there is a possibility he remained in the area after the war ended.

I would be grateful if anyone has any information/recollections about this gentleman or alternatively could offer any other assistance to aid my search.

Thanks in advance.

Further to the above message, I have since been provided with some new information and it seems the soldier was known as Albani or possibly Albano, but not Alberto. His surname was Demanico or Domanico. I have additionally been told that he probably moved back to Italy after the war and that his father was a farmer. The nationality of his mother was German.

Any information based on these new leads would be much appreciated.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!

Postby suanj » 30 Nov 2006, 10:45

it could be viceversa? Domenico ALBANO/I? suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Aggie69

Postby Aggie69 » 30 Nov 2006, 15:47

suanj wrote:it could be viceversa? Domenico ALBANO/I? suanj

I have managed to speak to the farm owners son who knew the POW. He advised that he was known to all as Albani, however, I am having difficulty confirming this as a forename. He said his surname was Demonico but wasn't sure of the spelling. What makes you think it could be viceversa? Maybe Albini was a nickname? Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 30 Nov 2006, 15:48

no Albani is surname and Domenico is first name...suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Aggie69

Postby Aggie69 » 30 Nov 2006, 16:17

suanj wrote:no Albani is surname and Domenico is first name...suanj

I suppose as a POW it would make sense the farm owner and his family calling him by his surname. Have you any ideas how I could try to trace him, addresses to write to Italy or websites etc? Thanks.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 30 Nov 2006, 16:25

currently are in Italy, only 8 Domenico ALBANI living, but Albani is a surname of so large presence in Italy... I believe that he was of north Italy... but only a my idea... suanj
PS: if you can find by RED CROSS almost some infos... they must to have.. currently I making a similar search in UK for a polish soldier andthis are the source also in the defense ministre( hoping right in english spell) you can ask, but for first step you can ask to RED CROSS and mentioning the POW camp.. if you can to descover almost the right name spell and the birthdate sure you can find also the birthplace... also in parish archive you can find something... this is a long search but no impossible; the Uk government have the list of italian POW that came back in Italy..
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Aggie69

Postby Aggie69 » 30 Nov 2006, 16:32

suanj wrote:currently are in Italy, only 8 Domenico ALBANI living, but Albani is a surname of so large presence in Italy... I believe that he was of north Italy... but only a my idea... suanj
PS: if you can find by RED CROSS almost some infos... they must to have.. currently I making a similar search in UK for a polish soldier andthis are the source also in the defense ministre( hoping right in english spell) you can ask, but for first step you can ask to RED CROSS and mentioning the POW camp.. if you can to descover almost the right name spell and the birthdate sure you can find also the birthplace... also in parish archive you can find something... this is a long search but no impossible; the Uk government have the list of italian POW that came back in Italy..
regards, suanj

That's great. I already have the addresses for the Red Cross and also Italian Ministry of Defence so thanks for confirming I am searching in the right direction. Just as a matter of interest how do you know there are only 8 D. Albani alive?

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 30 Nov 2006, 18:26

I believe this may help answer your question...here is a listing from the Italian White Pages for Domenico Albani..

Albani

Hope this helps... :D :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Aggie69

Postby Aggie69 » 30 Nov 2006, 19:39

nuccia wrote:I believe this may help answer your question...here is a listing from the Italian White Pages for Domenico Albani..

Albani

Hope this helps... :D :D

That's fantastic :D :D Thank you and suanj for your help so far!

Now, sorry to sound a complete idiot but just to make sure as an example.....24042 Capriate San Gervasio (BG) - Via Europa, 18/20 would address???;

18/20 Via Europa
Capriate San Gervasio (BG)
Italia

I suppose there's a possibilty that one of these people could be a relation. Aren't first born sons often named after their father?

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 30 Nov 2006, 20:59

so:
........name
18/20 Via Europa
24042 Capriate San Gervasio (BG)
Italia
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 30 Nov 2006, 21:17

however you must write for first thing in Defense Ministry of UK, they have the records of italian pows in the camp interested from your search, regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 30 Nov 2006, 22:31

I suppose there's a possibility that one of these people could be a relation. Aren't first born sons often named after their father?

In Italy, often first born sons are named after their paternal grandfather, rarely their fathers...I would probably do as suanj suggests first. It may simplify things for you.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Aggie69

Postby Aggie69 » 01 Dec 2006, 09:36

Thanks. I have a letter to go to the Ministry so fingers crossed they will be able to help!

devonmeg

Postby devonmeg » 30 Nov 2014, 19:59

I am based in Thornbury in Devon and have an interest in the history of the hamlet. I am particularly interested to know about the wartime POWs who came here as one old man mentioned there being a POW camp in the village itself but I cannot find anything about it. Do you know where your relation was housed? The Priests are still big farmers in the area. I would love to hear from you. Meg

Return to “Italian Genealogy”