TALMA surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Bintal

TALMA surname

Postby Bintal » 10 Dec 2006, 12:37

I am researching the TALMA surname and via the passenger lists on the Ancestry.com website, I have come across several persons with this surname, who came from Italy.

For example:
- Camillo Talma, born around 1885, last residence Potenza in Salandra.
- Angelo di Talma, born around 1874, last residence Molfetta in Southern Italy.
- Francescantonio Talma, born around 1871, last residence Colle Sannita.

I am not familiar with Italian genealogy at all, and I would appreciate it very much if somebody could tell me how I could start finding out more information about these people. Are there any sources online, like birth, marriage or death registrations?

Any information is welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Sylvia Binch (nee Talma)
Netherlands

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: TALMA surname

Postby jcsm400 » 11 Dec 2006, 04:13

Hi Sylvia,

Welcome to the forum!

Did your Talma ancestors come to the States or are you trying to figure out where yours came from in Italy, by tracing the ones that did come here?

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

Bintal

Postby Bintal » 11 Dec 2006, 06:37

jcsm400 wrote:Hi Sylvia,

Welcome to the forum!

Did your Talma ancestors come to the States or are you trying to figure out where yours came from in Italy, by tracing the ones that did come here?

jcsm

Hello jcsm,

I am trying to trace the TALMA's both ways, but would very much like to know how to research them in Italy.

My research is a one-name study, so I am researching everybody with the TALMA surname, worldwide.

I have already found several TALMA's in the American census.

Kind regards,

Sylvia

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 11 Dec 2006, 14:43

Hi Sylvia,

The only way to trace your Talmas' in Italy is to know their town of origin.
You get this information by obtaining all documentation on them from the county they settled in (Netherlands?).

As for your one-name study, since you have access (through Ancestry?) to US census records, I assume you also can get SSDI (social security death index), WWI & WWII information.

There is no central recording of birth, marriage & death, therefore, the vital records online are generally submitted records.

If you haven't already, you may want to check this out.

http://resources.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/metasearch

Good luck in your research.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

Bintal

Postby Bintal » 12 Dec 2006, 06:45

jcsm400 wrote:Hi Sylvia,

The only way to trace your Talmas' in Italy is to know their town of origin.
You get this information by obtaining all documentation on them from the county they settled in (Netherlands?).

As for your one-name study, since you have access (through Ancestry?) to US census records, I assume you also can get SSDI (social security death index), WWI & WWII information.

There is no central recording of birth, marriage & death, therefore, the vital records online are generally submitted records.

If you haven't already, you may want to check this out.

http//resources.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/metasearch

Good luck in your research.

jcsm

Hello jcsm,

Thank you very much for your helpful advice.

I will try and find out as much information in the States, since the Talma's I mentioned were all moving from Italy to the States.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Sylvia

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 12 Dec 2006, 09:50

Sylvia, are a small part of people in Italy with Talma surname (only 85 persons) and I believe that is a recent surname as always in this case, and I believe that the people that you found as Talma or Di Talma, really it could be Palma and Di/De Palma... Talma ( formerly de Talma) is a old french surname and polish/hungarian surname especially..regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Bintal

Postby Bintal » 12 Dec 2006, 10:35

Hello suanj,

Thank you very much for your reply.

You are right: the oldest occurance of the TALMA surname is in France. I have been researching the TALMA surname for about 15 years now, and have found people all over the world.

I have also found, like you, that sometimes the name is (di) Palma instead of Talma. I have found Camillo Talma to be Camillo Palma in the 1920 census for Brooklyn, New York!

Is there a way of finding out more about those 85 Talma's in Italy? Are there 85 people living in Italy now or is this information about an earlier year ?

Kind regards,

Sylvia

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 12 Dec 2006, 10:56

from the source, it seems that the Talma living in Italy are 85 .. but on the directory only 4 ( 2 records are same person: house and store).. however i believe that they could be 85...and without house phone... regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”