Italian Marriage Certificates

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
clara

Italian Marriage Certificates

Postby clara » 12 Dec 2006, 03:32

I'm a bit confused about where to obtain a copy of an Italian Marriage certificate for a wedding performed in a Catholic church. Is the certificate issued by the parish the official one for a religious wedding or is there also another official legal certificate available from the stato civile?

It would be great if anyone could clear this up. Thanks in advance.

micheleantonio

Re: Italian Marriage Certificates

Postby micheleantonio » 13 Dec 2006, 20:23

If they did register with the civil authorties it would be listed at the Stato de Civile, sometimes appended to the birth certificate of the woman if she is is fact from the comune where the marriage took place. I am not sure who issues the actual certificate.
Hope that helps.

michele

aabruno
Rookie
Rookie

Postby aabruno » 19 Dec 2006, 20:54

I have obtained mine from the civil records office: Ufficio dello Stato Civile of the comune.

Anthony

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 19 Dec 2006, 22:10

clara wrote:I'm a bit confused about where to obtain a copy of an Italian Marriage certificate for a wedding performed in a Catholic church. Is the certificate issued by the parish the official one for a religious wedding or is there also another official legal certificate available from the stato civile?

It would be great if anyone could clear this up. Thanks in advance.

Hello,
marriage certificate can be issued by Ufficio di Stato civile, church marriage certificate is issued by the church.
That one issued by Stato civile has a legal value
I hope it helps.
bye Riccardo

Return to “Italian Genealogy”