Mora / Tomassia / Tamassia near Mantova

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cgn22

Mora / Tomassia / Tamassia near Mantova

Postby cgn22 » 09 Jan 2007, 02:33

I am trying to find out any information about my great-great grandparents - their names were Anselmo Mora and Angela Tamassia (Tomassia) Mora, and they lived in San Benedetto Po near Mantova, probably. Has anyone else heard of these names? They were probably living in the late 1800's, early 1900's. Thank you for your time.

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Mora / Tomassia / Tamassia near Mantova

Postby jcsm400 » 09 Jan 2007, 06:19

Hi cgn22,

Welcome to the forum!

What documentation have you obtained for your great grandparents & their family, who I assume immigratd to the US? Census records, ship manifest (s), birth, marriage & death certificates, church records, ss applicatons, etc.?

These records will provide information & clues on your gr. gr. grandparents & will hopefully get you to the correct Italian town.....To trace family in Italy, you need the town information.

Let us know what you have & provide information on your gr. grandparents (be as specific as you can) & we'll see what we can do to help.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

cgn22

Postby cgn22 » 09 Jan 2007, 18:07

Hello,
This family did not actually emigrate to the US - my great-great grandfather Anselmo Mora and his wife, Angela Tommassia (Unclear on exact spelling, possibly Tomassia, Tamassia, Tammassia, etc) lived and died outside of Mantova, Italy. I am trying to learn about their religious affiliation - it is unclear if they were Jewish or not. My family who is still in Italy does not seem to know where they were buried, and I am just trying to see if anyone has any information about these names. Does this make sense?
Thank you for your help. I look forward to hearing from you.

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 09 Jan 2007, 18:20

I understood that.......Requested information on your immigrate ancestor(s), your gr. grandparents (?).

Are your Italian relatives in the town of Mantova?

Do you know when your gr. gr. grandparents died?

:) jcsm

cgn22

Postby cgn22 » 09 Jan 2007, 23:04

Hi, Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Here is the story. My grandmother and great-grandmother both emigrated to the United States in the 40's and 50's. My great-grandmother's name was Ermelinda (Mora) DiCapi. She was born in 1885 in San Benedetto Po (near Mantova), and died in California in 1984. Ermelinda's parents were Anselmo Mora and Angela Tamassia. I am particularly interested in Angela.
I found on the LDS Family Search website a number of Tamassia's in the town of Quingentole, not far from Mantova. Several of them were named Angela, but it is not clear if any of them are my great-great grandmother, esp. because many of them were born in the 1830's, which would put them at about 50 when my great-grandmother was born - a bit old to be having children, esp. back then!
My Italian relatives are in the town of Mantova - they are first cousins of my mother. The problem is that their father (son of Ermelinda DiCapi) died when they were very young, and most of the rest of the family emigrated to the US, so they don't know much about the family history on this side of the family.
Does that help?
Thanks again.

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 09 Jan 2007, 23:39

You can write/email the province archives or the town of San Benedetto Po for Ermelinda's birth act & the marriage act of her parents. These records should provide birth town information for Anselmo Mora and Angela Tamassia.

The archives>

http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... MANTOVA%22

The town>

SERVIZI DEMOGRAFICI
Via E. Ferri, 79
46027 San Benedetto Po (MN)
ITALY

Fax: (+39) 0376-620078
Email: demografici@comune.san-benedetto-po.mn.it

If you go to this webpage, you can actually order online >

http://www.comune.san-benedetto-po.mn.it/

Request should be in Italian or very simple English & if you write include a copy of your photo ID, a self-addressed return envelope, & two intertnational reply coupons. These can be obtained at your post office.

Hope this helps & keep us posted. We maybe able to assist with next step information.

jcsm

Return to “Italian Genealogy”