Looking for Italaian Ancestors

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
hollie

Looking for Italaian Ancestors

Postby hollie » 09 Jan 2007, 14:39

It has been confirmed that there is an Italian link in the family. The name I have is Alphonso Tiffen, he was a Master Mariner, probably a Captain in the Merchant Navy. He was born in Wisbech, Norfolk in England but the name Alphonso and also Bolland Tiffen appear in several generations. I found a Hester Tiffen born in Italy with reference to an Alphonso Tiffen as husband, first as labourer then as a Sea Captain in the 1800's. Is Tiffen an Italian name? I also found Alice Tiffine and Cippriano Tiffine born 1660 in Norfolk. I would love to find more information about possible Tiffen ancestors in Italy

Hollie

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Looking for Italaian Ancestors

Postby jcsm400 » 09 Jan 2007, 16:18

Hi Hollie,

Welcome to the forum!

You can try variations on the spelling here. It's a surname distribution map. (Tiffin in the Toscana region?)>

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/gen ... l?cognome=

To trace family in Italy, you must know the town of origin. What UK documentation have you obtained for him & his family? Census records? His birth record? Marriage record? Death record? Church records? Just to name a few?

We maybe able to help more with more specific information........His birth year? Name & dates of his family? Did he remain in Wisbech? Even the littlest detail can provide clues as to next step information.

Look forward to hearing more.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 09 Jan 2007, 16:23

Hollie,

Is this the correct Alphonso?

England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1983
about Alphonso Howard Tiffin
Name: Alphonso Howard Tiffin
Year of Registration: 1854
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Wisbech
County: Cambridgeshire, Norfolk
Volume: 3b
Page: 912 (click to see others on page)

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

hollie

Postby hollie » 10 Jan 2007, 10:21

Hi jcsm

Yes that is the Alphonso Tiffen. I think the Italian connection may have come from the female line - there are other Italian - sounding names in the family. Two great aunts had a very Italian look and a new found cousin has confirmed there was Italian ancestry. So probably a generation or even two back from this Alphonso. His father was Bolland Tiffen.

hollie

Return to “Italian Genealogy”