First name "Barlaam" (DiClemente)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
clmnts5

First name "Barlaam" (DiClemente)

Postby clmnts5 » 14 Jan 2007, 20:04

I have just across an 18th century record of my g-g-g-g-grandfather, in Serramonacesca, with the name Barlaam DiClemente. Has anyone heard this first name in Italian before? It it is written very clearly. There is a St. Barlaam, but the name appears to be more associated with the Orthodox Church in Greece, Turkey, Russia, etc. Another relative living on the same street in Serrqamonacesca had the first name "Tubbia" (Tobias) which I have never heard in Italian either. Might these unusual (to me, anyway) names indicate that these people might have been non-Italians, e.g. Greek, Albanian, Jewish?

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: First name "Barlaam" (DiClemente)

Postby wldspirit » 14 Jan 2007, 20:10

Great website for the research of names:

http://www.behindthename.com/

wldspirit

clmnts5

Re: First name "Barlaam" (DiClemente)

Postby clmnts5 » 14 Jan 2007, 20:34

Thanks! Deepens my curiosity, since neither is listed as an Italian name. One of the Saint Barlaams did apparently live in Calabria (he was of Greek origin), and so I guess a Catholic Italian child might be named after him. Tobiah is listed as a Hebrew name, and "Tubbia" sounds like it might be an Italianization of that.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”