Staniscia surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
djstan

Staniscia surname

Post by djstan »

I am trying to find information for my husband. His paternal grandfather was Irineo Staniscia. Family stories say he was from the Abruzzo area. His immigration records say he came to America from Acquaviva. Can any one give me any information about this surname? Is it common to any one area, or is it widespread?

Thanks!

djstan
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Staniscia surname

Post by nuccia »

Here is the surname distribution in Italy for your husbands surname.

http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

mandarino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mandarino »

Irineo Staniscia
Male

Event(s):
Birth: 19 FEB 1903 , , Italy
Death: 16 MAR 1976

Parents:
Father: Donato Staniscia (born: 27 SEP 1870 Aquaviva, Italy)
Mother: Antonia Chianfania

Right! This looks to be him...the other thread also refers to Aquaviva! hope this helps. :wink:
Searching for Mandarino from the area of Basilicata, Italy. ♥
djstan

Post by djstan »

Thanks! I've already found this, and while it's not my Irineo Staniscia (mine was born in 1878 and immigrated to the USA in 1901), I feel it may be a relative, perhaps the son of a brother of my Irineo who stayed in Italy and named his son in memory of his brother who left? :wink: I know, it's wishful thinking, but who knows?
Lbmiller

Post by Lbmiller »

Hi,
My grandmother was Charina? Staniscia. She was the daughter of Irinea Staniscia, and the 1 year old who came over on the Brittania.
SHe married Louis Manfredi.
I am looking for more relatives as well. Was there any luck with finding which Aquaviva they were from?
Laura Miller
sorrydude

Post by sorrydude »

Some basic information about the name Staniscia.
First it is not a very common name throughout Italy, in fact it is almost exclusively found in Chieti, Abruzzo.
It is considered to be a variation of the surname Stanisci; Staniscio is another variant.
For meaning, well it is thought that it is derived from the Slavic name "Stanisic" which would mean "son of Stanis" or probably more correctly "son of Stanislav".
Though the name could have derived in any Slavic speaking culture, it is generally thought that the Italian surname Staniscia, came from across the Adriatic most probably from Albania (though Albanian is not actually a Slavic language).
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I believe that the your Staniscia ( right spell) coming from Acquaviva Collecroce in Campobasso province (Molise region; in the past the regions Abruzzo and Molise was just 1 region called Abruzzi, but from 1963 the Abruzzi becoming 2 regions, called Abruzzo and Molise; Acquaviva Collecroce is in Molise region).

Acquaviva Collecroce is a town where many croatians settled around XV° and XVI° centuries;
in this town also currently, the peoples speaking the italian language and a croatian dialect called "štokava-ikava"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acquaviva_Collecroce

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH