Help with ship record- can you make out this name?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tammyweinercuratilo

Help with ship record- can you make out this name?

Postby tammyweinercuratilo » 08 Feb 2007, 03:57

I cannot decipher this name - can anyone help?

On the first record - 2 Jul 1907, it is line 28 (crossed out, so passengers did not sail).

On the second record- 18 Jul 1907, line 3.

It looks like "Crocifisfa Martsraria"? Does anyone else have another interpretation? This is a woman....

Cannot get my images to upload...will keep trying - but here is the weblink to the manifests

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2017041173

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2042090242

drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Help with ship record- can you make out this name?

Postby drovedo » 08 Feb 2007, 05:42

Here is the record for the passenger I found on ellis island.

First Name: Crocifisfa
Last Name: Martsrana
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: S. Cataldo
Date of Arrival: Jul 02, 1907
Age at Arrival: 40y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Sofia Hohenberg
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0028

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 08 Feb 2007, 07:07

It could be:

Martorana Crocifissa ?

Laura :)

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 08 Feb 2007, 13:22

I'm sure it's Martorana, first name Crocifissa. Check the following which lists San Cataldo marriages from 1866-1875, and deaths from 1886-1895 for last names beginning with "M". I cannot verify these are correct but it appears that the author(s) compiled them from official records. You might want to make contact with the owner and members of this site who have an interest in San Caltado geneaology.

Marriage Index 1866-1875

http://myrosi.com/genealogy/marriageM.htm

Death Index 1886-1895

http://myrosi.com/genealogy/deathM.htm

List of San Cataldo Researchers (Louis J. Martorano researching Martorana name)

http://myrosi.com/genealogy/sc-researchers.htm
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

tammyweinercuratilo

Postby tammyweinercuratilo » 08 Feb 2007, 14:35

Thanks for your help - i am emailing the contact on the San Cataldo page for family MARTORANA - I posted another question about the children having a different last name than their mother - I was unaware it was Italian tradition for the mother to go by her maiden name until she got to America and took the husband's last name.

This is a great lead - I have also ordered the San Cataldo church records on microfilm to my local LDS Family History center, so I am hopeful that once they arrive I can trace the family back further (I haven't been able to find any info on the Costas or Curatilos on the San Cataldo webiste with death, birth and marriage listings you referred me to - I think it is an abbreviated listing form the church records).

tammyweinercuratilo

Postby tammyweinercuratilo » 08 Feb 2007, 14:49

Thanks for your help - i am emailing the contact on the San Cataldo page for family MARTORANA - I posted another question about the children having a different last name than their mother - I was unaware it was Italian tradition for the mother to go by her maiden name until she got to America and took the husband's last name.

This is a great lead - I have also ordered the San Cataldo church records on microfilm to my local LDS Family History center, so I am hopeful that once they arrive I can trace the family back further (I haven't been able to find any info on the Costas or Curatilos on the San Cataldo webiste with death, birth and marriage listings you referred me to - I think it is an abbreviated listing form the church records).

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 08 Feb 2007, 14:50

For whatever reason the death index on the San Cataldo link does not have records for surnames beginning in A, B or C.

The marraige index is indexed for groom's surnames. In doing a search under each letter of the marriage index, I found a few Costa's and Curatolo's in the bride's column, but it appears those surnames were not too common in San Cataldo.
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Return to “Italian Genealogy”