Looking for Info on the Barcia Family-Palermo - Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Dbarcia

Looking for Info on the Barcia Family-Palermo - Sicily

Postby Dbarcia » 05 Mar 2007, 19:03

Hello,
I've hit a brick wall! My GGgrandfather was Francisco Barcia. He was married to Josephine (Giuseppa) Burriesci (sp). They were from Mezzuojuso, Palermo, Sicily. I was able to track Josephine coming to the United States in 1904 with her son Anthony. I have lost total track of Frank. I would love to know when they married, and who Frank's parents were. I would also like to know when he died. Family talk says that he died in a prison in Sicily. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would sincerely appreciate it.
I know that Barcia is a common name in Palermo. Do I assume that they are all related?
Thanks for any help!
Debbie :?

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Looking for Info on the Barcia Family-Palermo - Sicily

Postby wldspirit » 05 Mar 2007, 19:57

If this is the correct family, it states she is widowed as of 1910.

1910 United States Federal Census

Name: Giuseppa Barcia
Age in 1910: 58
Estimated birth year: abt 1852
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Mother
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Manhattan Ward 18, New York, New York
Marital Status: Widowed
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1903

Household Members: Name Age
Gaetano Barcia 28
Giuseppina Barcia 23
Giuseppa Barcia 58
Antonio Barcia 20

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

Dbarcia

Postby Dbarcia » 05 Mar 2007, 20:37

Thank you very much. I sincerely appreciate your efforts. Is there a way I can find out more about her parent's?
I don't even know their names! The spelling of her last name seems to vary (Burresci, Burriesci) I would also love to find out more about her husband and their marriage.
Family talk has it that her husband Frank (Francesco) left Sicily and went to Louisiana, then back to Sicily, where he died. I'm assuming that when Josephine left from Naples, Frank was already deceased. It seems that with his death went his life story (which I have a feeling was very interesting!).
If you could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.
I'm not sure how to go about searching records in Italy.
Debbie

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 05 Mar 2007, 20:50

Not much help on your search for Italian records:

Currently there are 105 people in Mezzojuso Palermo
with this spelling: Burriesci
and another 137 with this spelling: Burrieci

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 05 Mar 2007, 20:57

Possible ship manifest for Francesco and Giuseppina

Atlantico arriving New Orleans 3 Nov 1881
Lines 1 and 2

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/2978/zbarciazv7.jpg
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 05 Mar 2007, 21:01

Biff, great manifest!
Valarie

Dbarcia

Postby Dbarcia » 05 Mar 2007, 21:02

Biff83 wrote:Possible ship manifest for Francesco and Giuseppa

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/2978/zbarciazv7.jpg

Thank You!
I found this manifest, and I found it interesting because the other three people listed, Concetta, Gaetano and Gaspare, were three of their children's names. But looking at their ages, it would be impossible...unless, of course, they lied about their ages.
I appreciate you efforts.
I'll get this wall down one way or another !!!
Debbie

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 05 Mar 2007, 21:10

Dbarcia wrote:Hello,
I've hit a brick wall! My GGgrandfather was Francisco Barcia. He was married to Josephine (Giuseppa) Burriesci (sp). They were from Mezzuojuso, Palermo, Sicily. I was able to track Josephine coming to the United States in 1904 with her son Anthony. I have lost total track of Frank. I would love to know when they married, and who Frank's parents were. I would also like to know when he died. Family talk says that he died in a prison in Sicily. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would sincerely appreciate it.
I know that Barcia is a common name in Palermo. Do I assume that they are all related?
Thanks for any help!

Hello,
if family history says he could have died in Prison in Sicily, you can request, writing in italian, to check to
Archivio di Stato di Palermo

http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... PALERMO%22

on the papers related to prison record of Palermo
You can also write a request in Italian to Palermo vital record office to have his death certificate, lookig for it before 1904.
This is the address

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Giulio Cesare 52
90127 Palermo
Italy

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 05 Mar 2007, 21:52

Can you provide a link to the 1904 manifest you believe to be the correct family.......and can you confirm the census I located. Thanks.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

Dbarcia

Postby Dbarcia » 07 Mar 2007, 02:04

This is the manifest I found.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2538013349

I feel this is my GGgrandmother Giuseppa. She left from Naples to go to America, and her son Anthony was with her. Also, the age seems right for both of them.

Thank you for the census info. I have seen that, and have added this information to my records.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's help.
Debbie

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 07 Mar 2007, 10:19

Dbarcia wrote:This is the manifest I found.

I feel this is my GGgrandmother Giuseppa. She left from Naples to go to America, and her son Anthony was with her. Also, the age seems right for both of them.

Thank you for the census info. I have seen that, and have added this information to my records.

hmm really this is abt Filippa Burriesci and no Giuseppa Burriesci... and also the lines are crossed up so no travel...
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 07 Mar 2007, 11:11

Dbarcia wrote:Hello,
Thanks for any help!

Dear debbie, for a better help, it is necessary more details on your family, because in Italy , expecially in the case of great rilevance of a surname, it are many peoples with same name, and sometime also same age, and the only chance for to find more and rightly , it are the paternity almost... so for to better help you can to say us what it was the family member, and where they lived? you said that in first time they came in Louisiana, and it seems that the ship's manifest that biff83 found, it could be right.. in effect, it is very strange that it are a family, where the spouses are the same names of your ancesto'rs family, as also the name children.. this cannot be a coincidence.. i understand that the age is no right, but also could be that in the census the age transcriptions is no right... in any case the records provided by 1910 US census and ship's manifest it could be right both, and the only discrepance it are abt the ages... so for a better help it is necessary to know something of more abt your ancestors..
a resume:
-Francesco Barcia married to Giuseppa Burriesci, both born and married in Mezzojuso( Palermo/Sicily)
-children: Concetta, Gaetano, Gaspare, antonio or Antonino... all born also in Mezzojuso or only the first 3?
- the family emigrated in first time in Louisiana.. unknown the year, unknown the town, but really possible because a large part of sicilian people came in Louisiana....
-after Louisiana the family moved to...? New York? if so the 1910 census could be right, also if the ages incorrect.. but this error is very frequent in the censuses....
-it seems that frank barcia back in Italy, where, probable, died in the jail... and if died in italian jail, this mean that the problem made from Frank was made in Italy... it seems a improbable story, because the travel back in Italy it was no frequent, because the italian emigrated no so much money... so i believe that is better to find by a step to time, starting from last and sure info that you have on your ancestors, 1 generation back, and after the 2 generation back... so you can will sure that the records it will be helpful for the search in Italy.. just a my suggestion, regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Dbarcia

Postby Dbarcia » 07 Mar 2007, 20:20

suanj wrote:
Dbarcia wrote:This is the manifest I found.

hmm really this is abt Filippa Burriesci and no Giuseppa Burriesci... and also the lines are crossed up so no travel...
suanj

Thank you for that information. I wondered what it meant when I saw the names crossed out. I have seen that before.
Does that mean that they were scheduled to sail, but didn't show up?
Debbie

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 07 Mar 2007, 21:54

yes, they didn't show up... suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Dbarcia

Postby Dbarcia » 08 Mar 2007, 18:51

Dear debbie, for a better help, it is necessary more details on your family, because in Italy , expecially in the case of great rilevance of a surname, it are many peoples with same name, and sometime also same age, and the only chance for to find more and rightly , it are the paternity almost... so for to better help you can to say us what it was the family member, and where they lived? you said that in first time they came in Louisiana, and it seems that the ship's manifest that biff83 found, it could be right.. in effect, it is very strange that it are a family, where the spouses are the same names of your ancesto'rs family, as also the name children.. this cannot be a coincidence.. i understand that the age is no right, but also could be that in the census the age transcriptions is no right... in any case the records provided by 1910 US census and ship's manifest it could be right both, and the only discrepance it are abt the ages... so for a better help it is necessary to know something of more abt your ancestors..
a resume:
-Francesco Barcia married to Giuseppa Burriesci, both born and married in Mezzojuso( Palermo/Sicily)
-children: Concetta, Gaetano, Gaspare, antonio or Antonino... all born also in Mezzojuso or only the first 3?
- the family emigrated in first time in Louisiana.. unknown the year, unknown the town, but really possible because a large part of sicilian people came in Louisiana....
-after Louisiana the family moved to...? New York? if so the 1910 census could be right, also if the ages incorrect.. but this error is very frequent in the censuses....
-it seems that frank barcia back in Italy, where, probable, died in the jail... and if died in italian jail, this mean that the problem made from Frank was made in Italy... it seems a improbable story, because the travel back in Italy it was no frequent, because the italian emigrated no so much money... so i believe that is better to find by a step to time, starting from last and sure info that you have on your ancestors, 1 generation back, and after the 2 generation back... so you can will sure that the records it will be helpful for the search in Italy.. just a my suggestion, regards, suanj

Hi Suanj,
I hear what you are saying. Here is what I have been told.
Francesco was a not so nice guy in Sicily. He left Sicily to avoid trouble and went to Louisiana. I'm not sure of the time frame. I have estimated that Giuseppa was born abt. 1854. So maybe he was born around the same time.
When he thought the air cleared in Sicily, he went back to Sicily, where they put him in jail. Now, if he were of the wealthy breed, would this type of travel be possible? As far as I know, they all left Louisiana and went back to Sicily. After he was put in Jail, the family left Sicily and went to New York. They settled in Brooklyn, NY
Francesco and Giuseppa were both born and married in Mezzosjuo. The children, Concetta, Gaspare & Antonio were born in Mezzojuso.
Debbie

Return to “Italian Genealogy”