Cassisi family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cassisi

Cassisi family

Postby cassisi » 15 Mar 2007, 16:12

We are looking for information on Nicolo Cassisi who came to America in 1905. He was born in Gualtieri,Reggio Emilia. We would like to know his parents names because they were not on the ships manifests when he arrived in New York. His wife's name was Maria Bonarrig Mazzu,born ±1900 in Gualtieri(?)
Any information you can give us would be much appriciated.
Thank you for your kind attention.

Frits

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Cassisi family

Postby nuccia » 15 Mar 2007, 18:06

I was able to find the 1910 Census for Nicolo and his brother Rocco as well as another ship manifest for each but still no parents names listed.

In any case, here is the 1910 census in case you wish to view it.

1910 United States Federal Census
about Nicholas Cassier
Name: Nicholas Cassier
Age in 1910: 25
Estimated birth year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Susquehanna, Cambria, Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1905
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Domenic Pagans 38
Annie Pagans 31
Josephine Pagans 11
Margaret Pagans 7
Nicholas Pagans 4
Jennet Pagans 3
Carmel Pagans 2
Frank Pagans 3/12
Nicholas Cassier 25
Rocco Cassier 21
Tony George 28
Tony Putchen 20
Rissane Formica 20
Joseph Giuseppe 26

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Susquehanna, Cambria, Pennsylvania; Roll: T624_1325; Page: 28A; Enumeration District: 156; Image: 384.

1910 Census for Nicolas and Rocco

Did they remain in the US? Did they raise families in the US? Hoping to check out the names of their children, especially their first born children to see if there is a pattern and if they followed traditional naming patterns. Traditionally the first son in each household would take the name of the paternal grandfather and the first born female would take the name of the maternal grandmother. Its not always accurate but its a start. The other thing you could do is order the microfilm for your ancestors birth and see if you can locate the certificate. It would list the parents names on it.

To see if microfilm is available for your town see..

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

I'm sure others will offer more suggestions.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

cassisi

Postby cassisi » 15 Mar 2007, 21:04

Hi Nuccia,
I thinkyou are looking for the wrong family surname. We are looking for
CASSISI family. I appreciate your rapid answer to our request.
I also want to add that we heve the data in the U.S.A but would like to know if there is information of this family in Italy to trace back.
Thanks again and i hope to hear from you agAIN.

FRITS
FLORIDA

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 15 Mar 2007, 21:19

There is limited information available for your town from a LDS family history center.

If this period of time is to early, you will have to write to the town to request a record.

You originally asked for any information on this family and Nuccia provided a census. Its great that you have done all of your US research. I am surprised you have not found the names of Nicolo Cassisi parents on either his death record, obituary, marriage record or a church record.

Often names are misspelled/misunderstood on census records so it is possible it COULD have been your ancestor. The record Nuccia posted was a canidate for you to confirm or rule out.

Good luck with your research.

Debbie

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 15 Mar 2007, 21:31

I thinkyou are looking for the wrong family surname. We are looking for
CASSISI family.

As Debbie pointed out, (and I should have mentioned) that these two people are possibly your relatives. I know the name in Cassisi but it was very common for names to be misspelled by the Census takers or by the persons transcribing the records. If you look at the image I linked, it looks very much like the surname could be Cassisi and the first names, ages and immigration dates match those of Nicolo and his brother. I only posted the record (as I explained earlier) in case you were interested. Sorry it didn't help. :cry:

Now, you said you have done all your US research....was Nicolo's brothers name Rocco? I did find Rocco's WW1 Draft Card Registration Cards and a ship manifest that had him coming through the Boston Port. I won't link them as you probably have already seen them.

Good luck with your research. :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 15 Mar 2007, 22:00

Nuccia great find, yes on the census, from direct reading the surname is CASSISI, mistaken in the transcribing in Cassier, but right Cassisi! YOUR CASSISI came from Gualtieri Sicaminò town in Sicily region, Messina province and no from Gualtieri town in Reggio Emilia , Emilia Romagna region! Rocco Cassisi came in 1906 and joining Nicolò brother; ship's manifest of Rocco:
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 2319020264
For all request you can write in Civil record Office in the Town Hall of Gualtieri Sicaminò town:

info @ comune.gualtieri.me.it <<<<NO SPACES

or by normal post:

Ufficio di stato civile
Piazza Duomo
98040 Gualtieri Sicaminò (ME)
ITALY

in the LDS microfilms it are the Gualtieri Sicaminò censuses from 1714 to 1811, and the civil records from 1820 to 1910

so you can find all genealogic tree of your ancestor..

abt the wife the right surname spelling is Bonarrigo, and also Maria coming from Gualtieri Sicaminò ..
hoping helpful, regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 15 Mar 2007, 22:27

suanj

Thanks for the confirmation and the additional information! :wink:
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare