donofrio in larino ital

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ange48

donofrio in larino ital

Postby ange48 » 17 Mar 2007, 20:46

I have found some old papers that belong to my great grandfather. His name is Dominic antonio D'onofrio born in Larino Italy. He had several children, Angelina, Giovanni, Gracia, Nicola and more. The previous four emmigrated to Canada. Nicola married Josephine Defazio but I don't know where she is from. What is my next step in tracing them.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: donofrio in larino ital

Postby nuccia » 17 Mar 2007, 23:04

Do you know when they arrived in Canada. I assume they went to Ontario. Is that correct? Depending on when they arrived, they could have gone either through ellis island (1924 and earlier), New York or even Haliifax's Pier 21 (popular in the 1960's).

You may want to try www.stevemorse.org or www.ellisisland.org. Free site but you do need to register.

The best thing to do would be to look through all those papers and write down whatever info you can. I would start with yourself an then work backwards filling in the gaps. Use could use charts to do this available at several sites. Here are a few.

http://genealogy.about.com/library/free ... digree.htm

http://www.familysearch.org/

You can also download a free version on a genealogy program from the last link. Get as organized as possible before to proceed because once you start you can be totally overwhelmed. Its much harder to get organized afterwards.

You may want to consider a subscription to ancestry.com but I would hold off on that until you get started. Then you could use a library or the family History Centre at either Don Mills or in Etobicoke to to research the site free of charge. Just make sure if you do take that route, call ahead to book an appointment to reserve a computer..they go fast.

Hope this answers your question. :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 21 Mar 2007, 12:36

The civil records for Larino--birth, death, marriage records, are available on microfilm and can be rented at the Family History Library branch nearest to your home. They are in Italian but can be read with a lot of perseverance if you don't read the language, and a translation dictionary.

In addition, Trafford Cole's book--Italian Genealogical Records-- and Lynn Nelson's book--Discovering Your Italian Ancestors--can help you understand what the records hold and the information you may wish to access. These are available from most book sellers on-line.

The FHL allows you to rent the microfilms for about a month for $5.50 and you can track all members of the family back to about 1809. Go to www.familysearch.org to find the library branch nearest your home.

You will find the name D'onofrio throughout the Molise Region. DeFazio is more likely found in Regions to the south and west, but I have seen a few in the records of towns in Molise I have searched...so if they married in Larino, good chance she came from there as well. The records will answer that question for you if the birth of Domenico Antonio's children are before 1900 or so. Otherwise, you will have to write to the comune. Start with Domenico and see what you find.

Good Luck

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 21 Mar 2007, 14:47

For translations of the acts (should you choose to rent the microfilms)..

http://www.comunesofitaly.org/Links/RuthNerud.htm
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Return to “Italian Genealogy”