Photo Scanner

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mattera
Rookie
Rookie

Photo Scanner

Postby mattera » 19 Mar 2007, 13:41

I've got the bug and I've got it bad. Now that I've started tracing my family genealogical history, I want to begin preserving photographs and borrowing other family members' photographs. What I would like to do is scan them. This way, I can get high quality copies of photos that owners can't bear to part with, and also easily share them with the rest of my family.

This would also be very helpful for original documents.

Does anyone have advice on scanners? I would like to hear from people as to what they own, price, quality, features to look for or avoid, brands, etc., etc.

Any help is appreciated.

Alex

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Photo Scanner

Postby VaDeb » 19 Mar 2007, 14:27

Hi Alex,

I have a Canon LiDE 60 and I love it. Was about $80. Its about 1 1/2 inches thick so its very easy to take with me and scan wherever I go. Its fast and the software was easy to learn. No electric outlet needed - USB. Also has a "copy" button that scans and sends image to the printer just like a copier. I tend to scan and edit photos with Picasa (free on google) but I have other editing software, just depends on what I need to do.

I tried a newer model Canon LiDE 70 and my computer did not like it. Kept getting pop ups from my anti-virus software. It also has a "page manager" that I could not get the hang of.

I have an EPSON CX5000 also. This is not portable. Well, you could carry it and plug it in at someone's home, but you couldn't lug it to the library. It is much slower than my Canon. It is also a printer.

Looking forward to see what others like.

Debbie

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 19 Mar 2007, 20:23

I own five different printers and scanners (and even one fax). I use all of them depending whichever one I'm closest to. (We have a couple of computers.)

I recently bought a HP C3100 Series and it seems to be perfect for what i need. I got it for $130. Canadian and its also an all in one. It scans, photocopies and prints. I can also download pics with a USB and it prints out a page with "mini views" (Like negatives) of the pictures so I can choose which ones I want to print. The printer comes with a photo editing program as well but I prefer to use PSP or my Paint Pro program (thats another story in itself).

When scanning pictures to your computer or to a website, I found that scanning with a low resolution is fine. It takes up less space on your hard drive and is suitable for viewing. If you want to print the pictures, you need to scan them at a higher resolution so the pictures don't print so pixelated. Once I scan and print the pictures I want, I always burn them to a CD so I will always have a copy. If you copy a picture from an email ask the person sending it to you to also scan it a higher resolution so you will be able too print it or you will run into the same problem.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Marianne316
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Marianne316 » 23 Mar 2007, 18:18

I have been scanning for years now - I burned out one HP scanner and am 2 years into my 2nd one - one of the best investments I have made besides my Family Tree Maker software - both have been invaluable. Once you start making contact with "away team" members then you get them to email you the pics they have already scanned - it has luckily been my experience that people I am contacting in Italy and distant cousins in the US are just as involved with the research and appreciate the give & take of digital pics, & electronic research - you can copy and save all of your research and records and then have someone's naturalization papers handy to share with someone else during the course of his or her research - it helps to be able to organize on the computer as well rather that all the paperwork and hard copies that pile up!

mattera
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mattera » 26 Mar 2007, 13:47

Thanks to everyone so far with suggestions. Marianne, what model HP do you use? Any tips or warnings? Features to look for or avoid?

Alex

Return to “Italian Genealogy”