Ducci and Cianfoni from Cori or Rocca Massima

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
aristides
Rookie
Rookie

Ducci and Cianfoni from Cori or Rocca Massima

Post by aristides »

Is anyone familiar with the names Ducci or Cianfoni from Cori or Rocca Massima? The names appear on both sides of my mother's family. It appears that there are multiple family lines that may have started with one progenitor family in the mid-1850s. Any information or ideas would be appreciated.

Tutti grazie, amici!

Paul Montebello
loriq22

Re: Ducci and Cianfoni from Cori or Rocca Massima

Post by loriq22 »

My grandfather - Armand Cianfoni - was born in Rocca Massima and came to US in 1912 at age 2 with his mother and brother. His father was Gianni. The family settled in Manchester, NY. I visited Rocca Massima in 2000 and was told that there are many Cianfoni families in the area.
aristides
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aristides »

I don't have any of the my research with me. But, I know that my gmother's half-brother moved to Manchester and worked for the railroad. His name was Luigi Pasquale. I need to check my records. I believe that my gmother2 was a Cianfone. I will get more info and get back with you. Thanks for your response. You are the first Cianfone I have found other than my own.

Paul Montebello
aristides
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aristides »

I have two Ducci/Cianfoni lines that I am researching. Carlo Ducci, son of Francesco and Rosa Vitelli, married Maria Cianfoni, daughter of Carlo Cianfoni and Ladavica Battisti, circa 1884. Carlo's approximate birthdate is 1865. Maria's approximate birthdate is 1858.

In addition, Maria Ducci, daughter of Giuseppe and Rosa Cianfoni, married Giuseppe Bianchi in 1888. Maria's approximate birthdate is 1863. Here parents would have been born sometime during the period 1820-1840.

I hope we have information in common. Thanks and good luck in your search.

Paul Montebello
ericmusicus

Post by ericmusicus »

I am new to this forum, but I live in Manchester NY, my mother is Mafalda Cianfoni - the name Giuseppe Bianci (Joseph White) that you mentioned is buried in Clifton Springs NY, just up the road from here...there are still LOTS of Cianfoni's and relatives around, they are pretty much all from Rocca Massima as you mentioned...

PAUL, you said your grandfather was Armand Cianfoni, who is appr my 2nd cousin, so we are related - we stay closely in touch with that family, they all still live here - they are Dan, Pauline, Angela, Joyce, and Ron - we (more like my Mom & older relatives) called Armand "Monty" - Armand's mother was named Marietta (Ciardi) Cianfoni, and they lived about 7 houses away from where I grew up (in Boston now); this street (Merrick Ave) and others in Manchester still have MANY of your relatives living here...

If you or anyone else has any questions or info, please reply, very interesting topic - am sitting here with my Mom (Mafalda Cianfoni), and she is filling in some of the blanks for me...Eric
greengrass25

Post by greengrass25 »

Hi Eric,

I'm not sure if the following is a relative but here goes anyway.

My favorite Aunt Filomena (Coletta) Terelli had one daughter, Mary Terelli. Mary married Joe (Lefty) Cianfone (or Chiffoni?). What caught my eye was your mention of "Merrick Ave" in Manchester, NY because I had been told a long time ago that they lived there for 20 years.

I believe Mary Chiffoni has died but not sure. So sorry if she had because I would have loved to talk to her about her mom and maybe get some pictures. Her mom was wonderful. I used to stay with her and my uncle at their farm in central NY. I don't know anything about Mary but I remember meeting Lefty. He was very handsome and very nice.

Do you know of these people? If you do, maybe I can share some pictures with her decendents. I have Mary's grandfather's picture with his siblings and great grandparents picture.

regards,
maria
ericmusicus

Post by ericmusicus »

You got it - Mary (Terelli) Cianfoni was my next door neighbor growing up, Lefty and her have both passed away, as has my Mom (Mafalda Cianfoni) since that last post - MANY of the Cianfoni's have passed away in the last few years here, many because of age, but many including 2 of my Sisters, Michelle Cianfoni (Mary and Lefty's daughter), John Cianfoni (Mary and Lefty's Nephew) due to terminal illnesses; so in total the Cianfoni's/blood that have died in the last 3 years are as follows (all from Merrick Ave BTW, another story ALTOGETHER) Mafalda, Mary, Lefty, Michelle, Sheryl, Cynthia, Augie, Josephine, Edith, and Johnny. Also many of the Ciardi/D'arduini family, who are a little longer down the lineage, but nonetheless related.

I remember vaguely taking a couple trips to Elmira to visit Filomena when I was really little, she had the tiniest little house, with a HUGE map of Italy on the wall, does that ring a bell ? Mary never came with us, Lefty would make trips there to bring her puffballs, mushrooms, mustard greens, dandelion greens, you name it - Mary was less domestic than Lefty, he was an amazing cook (ALL Cianfoni's are, we have all continued the Sunday meal tradition, again right down to the newest more American little ones) and he always worked in restaurants.

We are a musical family, does that hold true on your end also ? We have MANY musicians, music teachers, etc in the family - right down to the newest (old enough to be interested at least) nieces and nephews.

Thanks for the reply, and will look for more postings (have tried alot of times to login, but have had NO LUCK, finally contacted the admins, and they reset everything for me...). Regards, Eric
Ennio Morricone fanatic