Chicago LaMantia family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tinamauro

Re: Chicago LaMantia family

Post by tinamauro »

Johnnylaw wrote:I am new to the site.
My family name is LaMantia. Not sure of the origins other than I believe the family name originates in Sicily, La Termine possibly?

My father was an only child and my grandfather's family has all deceased.
SO I am really trying to learn more about my family name in both Italy and Chicago.

Grandfather: Sam LaMantia born 1915, I believe.
Some of his siblings: Brother John LaMantia
Sister Edith LaMantia
Sister Agnes LaMantia

All Chicago, Bridgeport area originally, then Taylor Street. Not sure when they came to America or anything.

If someone can give me a clue as to where to start or how to do this.
tinamauro

Post by tinamauro »

Your family is probably related to mine. My grandfather was John LaMantia, born in Termini Imerese in Sicily in 1890. His brothers and sisters all lived in western PA, mostly in Indiana and Blairsville, and on the LaMantia Produce website (which is in Blairsville) you will see that some of the family moved to Chicago and was in the produce business there. THere is a great website about Termini Imerese, www.termini-imerese.org, and on it there are stories, databases, message boards, etc. The only LaMantia produce in PA that still exists is in Blairsville, I think. My grandfather had a produce store in Indiana, PA, but he has been gone for 40 years and the store closed before that. Both of my grandparents' families were from Termini IMerese- the LaMantias and the Calderones. OTher family names are Battaglia and Giunta.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

sorry !
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pgrembi

Post by pgrembi »

jwalker500 wrote:Hi JohnnyLaw,

I'm new to the site, too, but I can give you a little information.

Joseph Vincent (JV) LaMantia was my grandfather. He emigrated from Termini in Sicily around 1900 when he was approximately 6 years old. His Father's name was Vincent and his mother's name was Marie Battaglia. He had a two bothers, Philip and Anthony, and one sister, Phyllis. He always lived on the South Side of Chicago--first in South Shore and then in Beverly. He had 6 children--but only one son: Joseph Vincent, Jr. He died in 1970.

JV started LaMantia Bros Arrigo Company, a produce brokerage house on South Water Market, with his older brother Phil and a friend named August Arrigo. Later, he bought out both partners and became the sole owner, but kept the name as it was. LaMantia Bros. Arrigo (LBA) grew to become the largest produce commission company in the United States. (They bought directly from the growers and sold to large grocery chains.)

Isabel Weber mentioned that she used to live across the street from some LaMantias. That was not Joseph's brother, but another Philip LaMantia, who went by the name of "PJ. "(He did live at 9231 Bell; the older brother Phil lived at 9646 Bell)) PJ was Joseph's nephew, and he was also worked at LBA as a Vice President.

There were two other LaMantias who worked at LBA, but were not directly related to JV's family (everyone thought there was a distanct relationship, but not recent): Sam LaMantia worked there. He was married to a woman named Anne and had 2 children: Dorothy Anne and Jack; and Charlie LaMantia, who was married to a woman named Margaret and had 5 children: Charles, James, William, Mary Margaret, and Susan. All of these people lived on the far South Side--further south than Bridgeport.

I know our LaMantia family had more distant relatives in the Johnstown, PA area, who were also in the produce business, but I don't know anything about them.

My mother is Anne LaMantia Arado, the second oldest of JV's children, and she married my Dad, Gus Arado, who was working at LBA when they met. My Dad worked there his entire life.

Hope this is helpful!

Judy Arado Walker

P.S. While in Park City, Utah some time ago, I visited a Mormon Genealogy Center and they got me a lot of census data. Very helpful and at no charge. The old census information (I was looking at the 1930s) had a lot of interesting information in it about the people. In those days, all the data was taken personally and entered by hand--much more than just name and address. If you have any of the old addresses, it would be a great resource.
AZ2FL

Post by AZ2FL »

My father Vincent is the son of Philip LaMantia who was a co-founder of LaMantia Brothers Arrigo. He worked for LBA for several years and then moved to Tucson, AZ .

Our family had 5 LaMantia's: 3 sisters and 2 brothers. Most still live in the Tucson area including my parents Vincent and Lois.

My brother Phil is married and has 2 daughters that are LaMantia's. I married recently and have 2 young sons that are LaMantia's which will carry on the family name! I moved from Tucson to Florida 4 years ago.
pgrembi

Post by pgrembi »

My grandfather was Philip LaMantia of Nanty Glo, PA. "Uncle Phil" and "Uncle Joe" visited often. Would you please let me know if your father knows my grandfather? Also, didn't "Uncle Sam" of the produce's son Jack LaMantia or daughter Dorothy also move to Arizona?
VArrigo

Post by VArrigo »

I was just looking at a La Mantia Bros. - Arrigo Company Inc. what looks like a Ships wheel with all the principals of the company with J.V. La Mantia in the center of the wheel and around him pictures of TA La Mantia, P.J. La Mantia, Phil and Chas La Mantia. Since I am a direct decent from the Arrigo side of the company, it was my great grandfather Frank Arrigo and later my grandfather August Arrigo who were partners of the company. My father August B. and brothers August III and John Arrigo also worked there many years before it was sold to a jewish person.
VArrigo

Post by VArrigo »

Also my father is still with us. He worked at the market all his life until he was forced into retirement by the new owners. I remember as a little girl meeting PJ La Mantia at his home in Beverly and him giving me a $5 bill. I thought I was rich. I think I was 6 at the time.
tjudge

Post by tjudge »

I was trying to locate some names and information to fill out my family tree on my mothers side. I am the great-grand daughter of Charlie and Margaret LaMantia and the grand daughter of James Joseph LaMantia. Unfortunately I lost my grandfather 13 years ago and he was the most amazing person in my life. At that time I was too young to care about my history so this was the piece I needed to fill out that branch.

Thank You!
ptlamantia

Post by ptlamantia »

Good Morning All,
I am Paul LaMantia, son of Thomas LaMantia who along with his brother Robert are the son's of Salvatore LaMantia. Salvatore is from Termini Imerese and was born in 1892. Stella, his wife and "Tony" as he was called lived on Euclid Ave. in Berwyn, IL. My grandfather was a "fruit buyer". He worked down on the South Water Street Produce Market in Chicago. Initially for the House of LaMantia but had a falling out, supposedly over an arraigned marriage and went to Dolce Brothers were he worked 50 years. He had a sister Mary. Who ended up married to a Caruso in Toronto, Canada. A brother Joe who went by "Mustache” His father’s name was Cosmo.

My father, 84, is still alive and would love to help answer questions. I believe he is related to the LaMantia Reality LaMantias'.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

The following Family search website is useful for researching Italian relatives - https://www.familysearch.org/s/collecti ... Id=1927178

Find your town and start searching. you need to know the province and sometimes region first. this website whould help you:

http://www.italyworldclub.com/italian-communes/

Look for Mantia as well as La Mantia. I've seen them drop the prefixes before the names within the indices in the past.
samueljorlando
Rookie
Rookie

Post by samueljorlando »

Any known relation to Anthony LaMantia (1914-1963) who was married to Mary Earullo (1915-2006)???
jimcat

Post by jimcat »

pgrembi wrote: 16 Nov 2010, 00:27
jwalker500 wrote:Hi JohnnyLaw,

I'm new to the site, too, but I can give you a little information.

Joseph Vincent (JV) LaMantia was my grandfather. He emigrated from Termini in Sicily around 1900 when he was approximately 6 years old. His Father's name was Vincent and his mother's name was Marie Battaglia. He had a two bothers, Philip and Anthony, and one sister, Phyllis. He always lived on the South Side of Chicago--first in South Shore and then in Beverly. He had 6 children--but only one son: Joseph Vincent, Jr. He died in 1970.

JV started LaMantia Bros Arrigo Company, a produce brokerage house on South Water Market, with his older brother Phil and a friend named August Arrigo. Later, he bought out both partners and became the sole owner, but kept the name as it was. LaMantia Bros. Arrigo (LBA) grew to become the largest produce commission company in the United States. (They bought directly from the growers and sold to large grocery chains.)

Isabel Weber mentioned that she used to live across the street from some LaMantias. That was not Joseph's brother, but another Philip LaMantia, who went by the name of "PJ. "(He did live at 9231 Bell; the older brother Phil lived at 9646 Bell)) PJ was Joseph's nephew, and he was also worked at LBA as a Vice President.

There were two other LaMantias who worked at LBA, but were not directly related to JV's family (everyone thought there was a distanct relationship, but not recent): Sam LaMantia worked there. He was married to a woman named Anne and had 2 children: Dorothy Anne and Jack; and Charlie LaMantia, who was married to a woman named Margaret and had 5 children: Charles, James, William, Mary Margaret, and Susan. All of these people lived on the far South Side--further south than Bridgeport.

I know our LaMantia family had more distant relatives in the Johnstown, PA area, who were also in the produce business, but I don't know anything about them.

My mother is Anne LaMantia Arado, the second oldest of JV's children, and she married my Dad, Gus Arado, who was working at LBA when they met. My Dad worked there his entire life.

Hope this is helpful!

Judy Arado Walker

P.S. While in Park City, Utah some time ago, I visited a Mormon Genealogy Center and they got me a lot of census data. Very helpful and at no charge. The old census information (I was looking at the 1930s) had a lot of interesting information in it about the people. In those days, all the data was taken personally and entered by hand--much more than just name and address. If you have any of the old addresses, it would be a great resource.
My Dad worked for them during WW2
slama

Post by slama »

My grandfather is Joseph Vincent LaMantia Jr, son of Joseph Vincent Lamantia who started LaMantia Brothers Arrigo.

Joe Jr. has 5 children, my father being the 4th.

Joe Jr moved to TX when he was young to run a part of the farming company which my dad, his brothers and sister also worked for until we sold it.

PJ Lamantia, who some of you mentioned, had a son, Phil LaMantia, who lives in Texas with us as well. No children and never married.

My dad has the LaMantia Brothers Arrigo ships wheel hanging in his office today.
slama

Post by slama »

My Great grandfather was Joseph Vincent LaMantia. He started LaMantia Brothers Arrigo.

My grandfather is Joseph Vincent LaMantia Jr.

Joe Jr. moved to Texas at a young age to run a division of the farming company.

Joe Jr. has 5 children, my father being the 4th. They all worked for the company until we sold it.

PJ LaMantia had a son, Phil LaMantia, who lives with us in Texas.

"Uncle Phil", as we call him, is not married and has no children.

My father has the LaMantia Brother Arrigo ship wheel hanging in his office today.