SURNAME MORELL

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
czeffer
Rookie
Rookie

SURNAME MORELL

Postby czeffer » 01 Apr 2007, 03:37

Looking for information on James Morell. Doubt that his name was James in Italy. Is there a deviation of the name in Italian?

From everything that I know James married Madalena (6 different spellings) Andrea in Italy before coming to the US. I have nothing on James crossing. It appears Madalena crossed in 1914 - even though I can't find her on a manifest. She was pregnant at the time. Appears she may have had 2 children before crossing - no idea what happened to the children as they don't appear to be living with her in 1930 (could have been old enough to be on own). Can't find them in 1920 census. They were alive in 1916 as it is stated on one of her childrens BC that 4 of 4 children living (we thought this child was 2nd - that's why we know 2 children born before coming to US). Not sure if these children ever made it to US.

Was it a common practice for parents to leave children in Italy and then possibly arrange for them to come over later. Seeing how Madalena was having a child every year it is possible these children were born between 1911 and 1914 - very young when she crossed in Sept 1914.

From information found it appears she was born in Licata Italy but I can't find anything on James. Possible he was from the same area.

Thank you in advance for any advise or direction you may be able to provide.

vj
Master
Master

Re: SURNAME MORELL

Postby vj » 01 Apr 2007, 14:01

Hi Cheryl!
You're right Madalena's manifest is a tough one to find!
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =6458.html
Was James her first husband?
Could you help us locate their 1930 census?
Would the location have been the same in 1920?
Do you have her children's names & approx birth dates?
Every detail counts in a search. Lots of clues to be found in US
census & military records :D .
Just noticed this post, same family?
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... html#47164
(James) Is there a deviation of the name in Italian?
Giacomo & Vincenzo are pretty common.
More uncommon: Jacopo, Gacobbe, Labo...
Thanks! Valarie

czeffer
Rookie
Rookie

Postby czeffer » 02 Apr 2007, 01:46

Here's the timeline..

Sept 12, 1914 Maggie arrives (according to Naturalization records of Andrea Moretti).
January 15, 1915 she gave birth to Guy Morell in Marion County (according to his obit). I don't have his BC but I did find a death record online that shows his father to be James Moralle (last name changed).
January 11, 1916 she gave birth to Rosa Morell in Marion County. Her birth record shows her father to be Jim Morell. Also shows she is the 4th of 4 living children. First 2 would have been born before she entered the US. Her name is listed as Mandelana Nerea.
September 15, 1917 she gave birth to Joseph Morell - not sure what county - I'm working on that.
There is a listing for March 19, 1918 for a stillborn baby in Summit County with the last name Morell but I have not ordered the death certificate yet to confirm it was Maggies.

Can't find any record of them in the 1920 census. During this time they could have been in Marion, Summit or Cuyahoga Counties.

In March of 1927 Maggie and Andy Moretti applied for a marriage license in Cleveland Ohio (Cuyahoga).

In the 1930 census Andy Moretti (41) is shown as the head of household for a family on First Street in Barberton Ohio, Summit County. His wife is Madaline Moretti (41). Also in the house is Guy(15), Rose (14) and Joseph (13)Moralle - listed as step-children.

According to the Naturalization papers of Andrea Moretti - In 1937 they - Andy and Maggie - were living at 137 Sylvester St., Barberton Ohio.

Guy lived his entire life in Barberton. Rosa lived there for some time and then moved to Norton Ohio - not far away. Joseph joined the Navy and retired in Nevada. All three have passed away.

I have posted under different surnames.

Thank you for the deviations of the names.
Grazie mille - Cheryl

czeffer
Rookie
Rookie

Postby czeffer » 06 Apr 2007, 00:22

I have an update. I got a letter today from my husbands great aunt. She is the only living person that remotely remembers any of the people I am searching. Found some interesting things out.

She had he husbands Baptism Certifcate. It shows Magdelena Moralle and VINCENT Moralle. Now I'm on a search for VINCENT.

Children are....
Annetta (returned to Italy to live with Grandparents - which according to the marriage certificate is Giuseppe & Angela (Calamita) Andre.

Angeline Who married a Granoto and then remarried but she wasn't sure of his name. She had 2 sons. All decreased.

So that solves the mystery of the other 2 children. They weren't showing on the 1930 census because one had returned to Italy (I assume before 1930) and the other was married.

She gives me repeat information that I knew (which is fine).

She also sent me copies of pictures of Magdelana - by herself and one with her younger children - including my husband's grandmother. So sweet of her. Also a picture of Angeline.

So now I will have to search for VINCENT Morell.

I will also be looking for more info on the 2 sisters.

Where would I find info on the return trip to Italy for Annetta? She would have been returning to Licata. She would have been born probably sometime between 1910 and 1914. The three that I know of were born 1915, 1916, 1917 so she could have been easily born in 1913, followed by her other sister in 1914.
Grazie mille - Cheryl

Return to “Italian Genealogy”