need help with surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

need help with surname

Postby jcavallo » 05 Apr 2007, 19:09

I found the name Nunziatta Mastade-- on my grandfather's death certificate listed as his mother's maiden name. The last two letters are somewhat illegible but it looks like they are ia. I can not find this surname on any websites. Anybody have an idea what this surname might really be? My grandfather, Antonio Errico, was from Laurino in Campania. Thanks.
jcavallo

Re: need help with surname

Postby vj » 05 Apr 2007, 20:15

Two current similar names from Laurino:
Mastandrea
Mastrandrea

Try letter combinations using
this site
vj
Master
Master

Postby jcavallo » 06 Apr 2007, 12:30

Thanks so much for your help and the link vj. I was really puzzled by that name. I think you've put me on the right track. I checked and there are also quite a few of both names in the neighboring towns of Piaggine and Valle Dell'Angelo.
jcavallo

Postby Edmondo » 02 Jul 2007, 10:57

John,

I have a complete copy of all births/dead/Marriages in Valle dell'Angelo from 1875 to 1940. The name Mastrandrea is a common name in Valle dell'Angelo. Mastandrea does also exist in Valle dell'Angelo but is a known misspelling of Mastrandrea. Cavallo is also known in Valle dell'Angelo but is originaly from Piaggine.

Long time ago Valle dell'Angelo was named "Piaggine Sottane" and the now called Piaggine was "Piaggine Soprane". Longer time ago before it was a village, Piaggine (Plagenarum in Latin) was the market place of Laurino. In those days and still in the local dialect Piaggine = Chiaine, which means sand and stone.

Let me know if you want me to lookup something.
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy