Need Help: Patierno, Lotito, Marinaccio, Viggiano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sophiamarx

Need Help: Patierno, Lotito, Marinaccio, Viggiano

Postby sophiamarx » 09 Apr 2007, 22:45

Hi,
I'm looking for help trying to prove links and branch out. My great-grandfather was Nichola Patierno (1877-1960). His parents were Carlo Luigi Patierno, b 1850, and Mariangiola Marinaccio, b 1852. His wife was Giuseppina (Josephine) Lotito, (1886-1973). I don't know her father's first name, but his last name was Lotito. Her Mother's name, at a guess was Katerina Viggiano, from Potenza. This was all formulated from census records, my mom's memory of her parents, the assistance of someone researching Patierno's tree. I know that when Guiseppina came over, she landed in Boston, MA, met her uncle Viggiano, and eventually met her husband and moved to Connecticut.

I would like to know if anyone else is researching the lines, or has some information they have tripped over.

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Need Help: Patierno, Lotito, Marinaccio, Viggiano

Postby VaDeb » 09 Apr 2007, 23:38

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You have started with US research and that is a good place to begin. You mention they were from Potenza. Do you mean the province or the town?

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/076/index.html

Have you found passenger records? They may give a town.
Here is a site I like for Ellis Island records:
http://stevemorse.org/index.html

If you identify the town, LDS may have microfilmed the vital records. They are wonderful and you will find lots of information. Here is a post by forum member Trish on how to use the record:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581

Ancestry.com (a $$ site) but free at many libraries is also a good source.

Lets us know the direction you need to go.

Debbie

sophiamarx

Postby sophiamarx » 10 Apr 2007, 11:16

I belong to Ancestry.com. This is what I come up with for Giuseppina:

Social Security Death Index Record
about Josephine Patierno
Name: Josephine Patierno
SSN: 044-01-4380
Last Residence: 06410 Cheshire, New Haven, Connecticut, United Stat es of America
Born: 18 Jan 1886
Died: Nov 1973
State (Year) SSN issued: Connecticut (Before 1951 )

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
about Guiseppe Lotito
Name:Guiseppe Lotito Arrival Date:27 Mar 1905 Age:20 Years Estimated birth year:abt 1885 Gender:Female Ethnic Background:Italian (South) (Italian) Port of Departure:Naples, Italy Ship Name:Canopic Port of Arrival:Boston, Massachusetts Friend's Name:Guiseppe Viggiano Last Residence:Italy Microfilm Roll Number:81
(Giuseppe is listed as her uncle on the actual list.)

For Giuseppe Viggiano, I have:

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
about Giuseppe Viggiano
Name:Giuseppe Viggiano Arrival Date:18 May 1902 Age:27 Years Estimated birth year:abt 1875 Gender:Male Port of Departure:Naples, Italy Ship Name:Cambroman Port of Arrival:Boston, Massachusetts Friend's Name:Crestina Vigiano Last Residence:Maorieovitere Microfilm Roll Number:51
( I still have to look up Maorieovitere for it's location.)

For Nichola Patierno, I have a census:

1920 United States Federal Census
about Nicola Patierno
Name:Nicola Patierno Home in 1920:Cheshire, New Haven, Connecticut Age:42 years Estimated birth year:abt 1878 Birthplace:Italy Relation to Head of House:Head Spouse's name:Josephine Father's Birth Place:Italy Mother's Birth Place:Italy Marital Status:Married Race:White Sex:Male Home owned:Rent Year of Immigration:1895 Able to read:Yes Able to Write:Yes Image:1084 Neighbors:View others on page Household Members:Name AgeNicola Patierno 42 Josephine Patierno 34 Nicola J Patierno 9 Alice R Patierno 7 Mary E Patierno 5 Elissa Patierno 3 4/12 Adelina Patierno 1 5/12 Salvatore Cappella 32 Salvatore Prangido 23
(Their oldest child was stated to have been born in Massachusetts.)

The height of the tree with Patierno branches was provided to me by Steve Marinaccio who had already researched some of it in relation to his family. This side of the family was based in Savignano di Puglia. I still need to build it out with siblings in all generations.

I also have pictures of the headstones for Nichola and Josephine Patierno from Connecticut.

These are my starting points.

sophiamarx

Postby sophiamarx » 10 Apr 2007, 11:20

My sister has surmised that the lotito family comes from:

Town: Tito
Province: Potenza
Region: Basilicata

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 10 Apr 2007, 12:52

Your research on Ancestry.com will give you a good structure to research from. Have you sent away for any birth, death or marriage records from the appropriate states? These will help you find names of parents.

You can use the links in the first post to look up information on towns. If the town has been microfilmed by LDS great. If not, you have to write to the town for records.

Example here are the civil registration (birth, marriage an death) for Tito:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

You can check other towns here:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Debbie

TomAlciere

Postby TomAlciere » 14 Sep 2015, 18:38

A lot of Lotito and Lo Tito names are in Potenza-the-city, and I am related to some of them because Rocco Vincenzo ARCIERI married Angiola Maria LO TITO on 9 Feb 1831 in Potenza-the-city.

---
For Potenza-the-city research visit http://genealogy.bio

Return to “Italian Genealogy”