How can you trace people in Italy after 1910?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

How can you trace people in Italy after 1910?

Postby Cathynap » 13 Apr 2007, 00:39

As you all know the state cival records end in 1910. My Grandfather left 4 half sisters and a half brother in Montalto Uffugo, Cosenza. Since the eldest of his Mother's children from her second husband was born in 1898, they were too young to have marriage records in the State Cival records. I know his 1/2 brother, Enrico DeSeta (born 1901) went to Argentina. The sisters - Emelia (born 1898), Delfina (born 1899), Antoinetta Genovassa (born 1903) and Carmela (born 1906) stayed in the area but I know Emelia died in the nearby comune of Paola.
Is there any way of finding them? Their children would all have different last names. Did they have a census? Is this a hopeless cause?
Thanks for your help.
Cathy

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: How can you trace people in Italy after 1910?

Postby ricbru » 13 Apr 2007, 07:16

Hello,
the stato civile records on mormon microfilm may end on 1910 (and these second copy records are kept to State Archive), but you still can contact Montalto Uffugo civil record office ( that keeps the first copy records from the beginning to nowadays)

This is the address, write only in italian

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Municipio
CAP 87046
Montalto Uffugo (Cosenza)
Italy

phone: +39 984 931853
person in charge: Giuseppina ABATE

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo

Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Cathynap » 13 Apr 2007, 13:16

Wow - I did not know that - I thought they stopped keeping those records in 1910. Thanks. The problem is now I have no clue when to look for records of my Grandfather's sisters. If I go there (to Montalto Uffugo) will they let me search the records. Judging from the family marriage records I have seen they could have gotten married anytime from the ages of 15 to 25. Too bad those records are not online yet.
Thanks.
Cathy

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 13 Apr 2007, 14:05

What about ordering the "stato di famiglia" certificate? Or the "stato di famiglia originario" certificate?

Hopefully Suanj or Riccardo can comment about this. From reading Tafford Cole's book Italian Genealogica Records, it would seem these records would record the marriages and history of the children.

Are these certificates also covered by Italian privacy laws?

Debbie

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 13 Apr 2007, 14:14

Hello,
you can also go to Montalto Uffugo civil record office and you can have a look up on birth, marriage and death records from 1937 to back.
The privacy law protects informations until 70 years from now.
So you can have and have a look up about civil records older than the year of 1937.
Records after 1937 can not have a look up.
You can request any certificate from any time.
Certificato di stato di famiglia is not covered by privacy law.
I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo

Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Cathynap » 13 Apr 2007, 16:21

Riccardo - thanks so much. I hate to sound like an idiot but what is "Certificato di stato di famiglia"? I have never seen this in my microfilms from Montalto. It sounds like a record kept on individual families? Is that correct? Was this done annually?
Now it sounds like all I have to do is come up with 2 or 3 weeks of vacation time, and a whole lot of money for 3 weeks in beautiful Italy! Ahhh - if only...
Thanks again.
Cathy

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 13 Apr 2007, 16:35

Cathy,

The "Certificato di stato di famiglia" is not available on microfilm. It is a document the used to record all the members of a family in a town. Get the Tafford Cole book I referenced above. It will explain all about the two documents and their differences. If you are going to do serious Italian research I think that book is one of the must reads. It certainly became my "bible" for Italian genealogy. Lynn Nelson also has a book "Discovering Your Italian Ancestors" that is a good source. I can't remeber if it explains the "Certificato di stato di famiglia".

Debbie

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 14 Apr 2007, 06:12

Cathynap wrote:Riccardo - thanks so much. I hate to sound like an idiot but what is "Certificato di stato di famiglia"? I have never seen this in my microfilms from Montalto. It sounds like a record kept on individual families? Is that correct? Was this done annually?
Now it sounds like all I have to do is come up with 2 or 3 weeks of vacation time, and a whole lot of money for 3 weeks in beautiful Italy! Ahhh - if only...
Thanks again.
Cathy

Hello,
you don't sound like an idiot, don't worry.
This is the right place where to learn, and I also learned in this forum many things about Stato Civile.
First of all you should know the difference between Civil record and Civil certificate.
A civil record is the real records, the real form the registrar fill out with all and any informations required by the italian law about birth, marriage or death.
This form is fill out when someone of the family goes to the registrar to declare a birth, a marriage or a death.
A civil certificate is an abstract of civil record.
The registrar brings a blank certificate and writes down the most important informations (always required by the italian law) while reading the original record. He writes down the name, date, place, parents of the person to who occurred birth, marriage or death.
The "Certificato di Stato di Famiglia" is a certificate, an abstract, that states all the names and details of people of that family (parents and their kids)
The registrar looks for the birth record of people having the same parents, so these are siblings, in the certificate there is written name, date of birth, eventually name of spouse and name of death.
I hope I was clear and I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo :lol:

wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Postby wishyou » 14 Apr 2007, 22:44

Riccardo, your definition of "Certificato di Stato Famiglia" is not exact.
It doesn't concern with Stato Civile but it do Concern with Anagrafe, which is (in theroycal way) another office than Stato Civile (stato Civile depends directly from Justice Department, Anagrafe Inside Department).
The "Certificato di Stato Famiglia" is a certificate which lists the person who lives in the same house (truly the definition is more complicated and it has a lot of exceptions) as they are recorded in the Anagrafe registers in the moment the certificate has been printed. In few words is a list of a family "as it is" now.

What are you talking about is the "Stato di famiglia originario", which is very different from "Certificato di Stato famiglia" and it is the list of father, mother and all the sons they had, also even they didn't lived together (because, for example, one son leaved the family before the born of another son). And it is always duty of Anagrafe, not of Stato Civile.
And it is very expansive: every name found cost 5 €uros

"Certificato di stato di famiglia is not covered by privacy law"
Is not exact: a Anagrafe officer can refuse a Stato di Famiglia (or any other certificate) to a person which is not known or which doesn't concern with that family.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”