gioia del colle, bari

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bela0911

gioia del colle, bari

Postby bela0911 » 16 Apr 2007, 01:32

Help please. I am very new to this. My grandfather came from Bari. His name was Cosimo Soranno. I have an address from a letter his cousin wrote to him sometime in the early 1900's. The return address on the letter was Gioia Del Colle, Goutauelle, Bari from M. Giordano Rosanna. His father's name was Francis, mother Natalie, sister Marguerite, brothers - John, Pete, and Tom. Charles, as he was called in the US came here when he was about 18 or 19. Settled in Athens, NY. Another family from the same area in italy settled in Athens also - last name Rizzi.

Any help anywhere to get me started on this search will be appreciated. I did try ellis island and can't find anything. Also have searched some sites but come up empty on surname suranno. Thanks.

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: gioia del colle, bari

Postby VaDeb » 16 Apr 2007, 01:57

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Do any of these look possible?

http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1

possibly the 3rd on the list.

I prefer this site to search Ellis Island:
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html

If you don't see your grandfather on the list above, give us his year of birth and we will try and find him on a census.

Debbie

bela0911

Postby bela0911 » 16 Apr 2007, 17:25

Debbie,

Thank you so much. I can't tell you how many times I've searched the ellis island site. I think the third one down IS him. When I looked at the passenger list, I could see where they might have translated the names and the town wrong. I sent ellis island what i think the corrections should be and as soon as they can verify it and make the changes, I'm going to buy the manifest page and a picture of the ship for my dad for father's day. I am sooooo excited. This is a great start for me. I know when my grandfather came here he left his entire family in Italy and never saw them again.

If you have any ideas how I can go about finding relatives in Italy, please let me know. I'll keep searching. Thank you again!!!!!!!!!

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 17 Apr 2007, 21:03

If you have any ideas how I can go about finding
relatives in Italy, please let me know.

This may help you locate family currently
living in Italy. (5 in Bari)
vj

Italian White Pages
Cognome o nome Azienda = Surname
Dove = Location (optional)

Click on red button Cerca

LDS Family Search Letter Writing Guide

Form Letter to a Possible Relative

bela0911

Postby bela0911 » 18 Apr 2007, 00:38

Thank you VJ. I looked at these sites and they look like they will be helpful. I did try the white pages before but had no idea how to contact any of these people, since I can't speak, read or write Italian. The site with the forms looks like it will be really helpful because it gives the english translation. Thanks again.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”