felicella(felicia) and mary conte

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jolynn
Elite
Elite

felicella(felicia) and mary conte

Postby jolynn » 16 Apr 2007, 14:37

hello all, i wondered if anyone could help me with tracing my italian roots, my grandmother and her sister came from italy to grimsby england sometime between 1901 and 1908. they where not on the 1901 census but where both married to grimsby fishermen in 1908 at grimsby register office, on my grandmothers marriage certificate it states married 7 may 1908 name felicella conte aged 18 spinster of 266 burgess street grimsby, father mask aquilla conte(deceased) former bricklayer, married to frank baxter aged 21 fisherman of 14 garner street grimsby, fathers name also frank baxter fisherman. my grandmothers sister was called mary conte and on her marriage certificate it states, married 7 august 1908 aged 17, spinster (organ grinder) also of 266 burgess street grimsby, father also mask aquilla conte (deceased) bricklayer. mary married frank ernest robbins aged 21 fisherman of 14 garner street grimsby fathers name arthur alfred robbins (turnipman) . my gandmother then lived at 36 guildford street grimsby where my father john baxter was born, then 118 orwell street grimsby until around 1926 when they moved to holton-le-clay lincolnshire. they set up a market garden business at "montrane" back lane holton-le-clay, my grandfather died during the war while the skipper of the hmt montano and is buried in holton-le-clay cemetary in sept. 1943, my grandmother felicella baxter died march 8 1946 and was buried in the same cemetary. both felicella and mary had further children, what i would like to know is can anyone advise or help me in my main quest and that is to find out where in italy they came from, would there be records of entry into the country, passport or visa information, alien records lists shipping lists etc. also where would they be kept and can i get access to them. another query is what does the mask part of felicias father name mean or was it spelt wrong as she could not read or write english at the time and could only verbally give her information, i did not meet my grandparents as they died before i was born, thankyou for reading this, kind regards john baxter

sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

Re: felicella(felicia) and mary conte

Postby sheronb » 17 Apr 2007, 11:18

Hello Jolynn again!!

I am not sure whether the girls would have been considered aliens in the first world war, as they were married to English men, i know, my great grandmother, who was married to an Italian, was considered an Alien!! I obtained mine,(Alien documents) from the West Midland police museum, i suggest you try to find out if Grimsby, has a museum and contact them, the only other place i know, where these would be held is at Kew, if there is any for them!!
Tuzi/Lombardozzi/Polsinelli/Tersigni/La Rocca/Gismondi from Sora,Frosinone.

jolynn
Elite
Elite

Re: felicella(felicia) and mary conte

Postby jolynn » 17 Apr 2007, 14:12

hello, how are you, thanks for the reply, i will try our local museum first, thanks again, kind regards, john

Return to “Italian Genealogy”