Passengers Held for Special Inquiry

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mattera
Rookie
Rookie

Passengers Held for Special Inquiry

Postby mattera » 26 Apr 2007, 16:32

In browsing through ship manifests, I was interested in the lists of passengers held for special inquiry. Short of reviewing the entire manifest to see if a passenger appears on such a list, is there some notation at the actual manifest entry directing a searcher to the SI list?

Thanks,

Alex

Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Passengers Held for Special Inquiry

Postby Biff83 » 26 Apr 2007, 16:53

Alex,

Usually there would be a letter or the stamped words ADMITTED or DEPORTED in the left column of the manifest. Please refer to the following for a detailed explanation.

http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/left/

Best,
Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Passengers Held for Special Inquiry

Postby misbris » 26 Apr 2007, 20:50

In my research, I found that some of my family was detained because the husband was not there to meet the wife and children. As soon as the sponsor(?) arrived the family was released. The Ellis Island registry does not show this, but Ancestry.com shows multiple records for the same name. One of these can be a detention record. I hope this helps.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”