Italian Dual Citzenship: About Father's Birth Record

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gjcva06

Italian Dual Citzenship: About Father's Birth Record

Postby gjcva06 » 07 May 2007, 15:41

Hi, I'm new to this. I've started the process for obtaining dual citizenship through my father & grandfather. Both grandparents were born in Italy, they came to the U.S. and my father was born here in Philadelphia. I sent the official request to Philadelphia for my Dad's birth certificate but they sent me an official letter saying they could find no record of it. He was born in 1914. Anyway, I talked with someone in that office this morning and they said there is nothing that can be done. I have a similar problem with my Mom's birth record (she was also born in 1914) but in TN. However, the TN agency is willing to accept her marriage liciense, death certificate (both my parents died 5 years ago) and her Social Security information to establish the necessary record. Does anyone have any information or ideas on what to do about my Dad's birth record. I tried calling the Italian consultate to see what they would accept but got no answers. I would be grateful for anyone's suggestions or ideas. Thanks so much.

AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Italian Dual Citzenship: About Father's Birth Recor

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » 07 May 2007, 17:58

You would be amazed at the way some Italian names were butchered in official records. My mother's birth certificate, for example, has the last name so badly misspelled that it would never turn up using a "normal" search.

You may want to check with your local LDS Family History Center to see if the records are available on microfilm. If so, you could scan through the films for people born on the date in question and see if anything jumps out at you. Start here: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Return to “Italian Genealogy”