Have you used the New York Public Library, Main Branch?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Have you used the New York Public Library, Main Branch?

Postby Poipuo4 » 11 May 2007, 17:32

I am thinking of visiting the NY Public Library's Main Branch on 5th Ave. to do some research. I would like to look through old NYC Directories and maybe search some newspapers for old obits. If anyone has visited the library, can you offer some advice? I have looked at their web page and research guides. I am not clear on how I would find obits in historicial NY papers if I am not using the NY Times. Would I just start searching all the Bronx newspapers, for example, around the date of my relative's death? I think I would be using local Bronx newspapers and maybe Brooklyn. BTW, I have used the Brooklyn Eagle online, which is great, but I need stuff from the 1910s and 1920's, which is not covered.

Any other advice about visiting the NY library would be appreciated. It seems huge and overwhelming for a first visit.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Have you used the New York Public Library, Main Branch?

Postby wldspirit » 11 May 2007, 20:25

Can't help you on the library.....never even been to New York.... :lol:
but once I had located the death dates of my ancestors, I usually found the obit listed within five days from the date of death. Not sure of New York, but here, an announcement proceeds the full obituary by a day or two.
Happy Hunting!!!
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Postby MikeSavoca91 » 12 May 2007, 04:23

I have been there, they have a lot to offer. I would have spent 6 hours but my grandma would only let me stay 4 :lol: . You would have to look through the microfilms they have (TONS AND TONS) they have a lot of stuff. Go and try it, it's a good day out.

Mike

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Postby Poipuo4 » 13 May 2007, 18:50

Thanks, Mike! Are the city directories in open stacks (if you recall)? Is it fairly user friendly?
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia

MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Postby MikeSavoca91 » 14 May 2007, 03:52

They had everything put in order by date and everything. Whatever I was looking for, was easy to find. There were city maps from the 1800's, books on stillbirths in the city, microfilms of death info EVERYTHING!! Very easy, you will like it (I was 13 when I first went, and it was very simple so I think you can get it). I need to go myself and I want to go to the Municipal Archives (I think that's what it's called *YAWN*). When do you plan on going again?

Mike

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Postby Poipuo4 » 14 May 2007, 13:03

Hey, Mike,
I am not sure when I want to go, because I have to take the day off from work to do it, but I am thinking of doing it sometime this month or next month. Thanks for the info. I will try to be less intimidated then!
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia

MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Postby MikeSavoca91 » 15 May 2007, 00:47

Yeah, don't worry, it's a great day out. I hope you have fun with it.

Mike

Return to “Italian Genealogy”