Question about obits.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Question about obits.

Postby Poipuo4 » 25 May 2007, 14:00

I am going to the NY public library to search for obituaries of some ancestors that died in the 1920s. Does anyone know if 'average' people had their obits. in the newspaper in the 1920s like they do in this day and age? In other words, they were not prominent members of society, just regular people making a living.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Question about obits.

Postby wldspirit » 26 May 2007, 05:57

I have had great success locating obits on my husbands family line, and all predating 1920.......they were not prominent citizens...just your everyday average joe.........the info has varied.......some are like a complete outline of their entire life, and some are short and to the point.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby JamesBianco » 26 May 2007, 11:32

I understand Poipuo4's concern, since it is New York City. Unfortunately the larger the city, the less detailed the obituaries on people who were not "of note". I have a great-grandfather who died in 1921 in NYC and was a businessman who owned a Fruit Distribution Company in Manhatten. His obituary is not listed in any NYC newspaper I could find.

However, another great-grandfather Foca "Frank" Farina, who lived in Haverhill, Massachusetts had a full paragraph in The New York Times when he died the same year (1921). The only difference between the two men is that Foca was killed by his wife with a hatchet. Evidently that was important enough news to make the NY Times.

:(

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 26 May 2007, 13:57

You do have a point James,.......Peoria is not a big city, and it's only claim to fame is rather shady...... :oops:

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Postby Poipuo4 » 28 May 2007, 00:47

Thanks, Guys! Wish me luck! I am searching for obits. in the Bronx and Brooklyn. I will let you know next week how it turns out.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia

Return to “Italian Genealogy”