please help newbie looking for family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
relishcg

please help newbie looking for family

Postby relishcg » 08 Jun 2007, 15:34

A few years ago I did some brief family research on my father's side... now I am starting again and trying to go back a little further and I am stuck.

I am researching the surname Gherna.

My great-grandfather was Charles Gherna (also seen it as Carlo and Charlie)
From my research I found he was born October 3, 1879 in Courgne, Canavese. I have a record that he came through Ellis Isalnd in 1912, and I know he eventually settled in Morenci/ Bisbee Arizona. Through looking at Mexico border crossing records, census records, and WW1 draft cards I have pieced together that he had two brothers. Ralph Gherna born approx. 1883 ( no birth place that I could find) and Savino Gherna born July 7th 1893 Salto, C_____, Torino (can't read the word that starts with C on the draft card ) There was also possibly a sister named Cerolina.
On the ship manifest through Ellis Island for Carlo it lists another Gherna, Antonio and it says they are cousins.
The records I have found list Carlo's father as Antonio and Ralph's death record lists mother's maiden name as ____ Diero. Antonio was still living in Salto, Torino when his sons came through Ellis Island.

Now that I have rambled on my questions are these:
1.) Where exactly are these towns? I guess I am confused about what each of the town names means...

2.) Where do I go from here? I would like to find out more about Charles and his father Antonio ( and everyone else on back) but I can find no more links to any of the other Ghernas that I can find in ancestry databases, even though all of the other Ghernas I have found seem to be from around the same area in Italy. I would think there has to be a common link somewhere as Gherna is not a very common name.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I feel like I am now going in circles. Sorry for the long post.

vj
Master
Master

Re: please help newbie looking for family

Postby vj » 08 Jun 2007, 15:52

A start?
May be Cuorgne'
Cuorgne', comune of Cuorgne'
- province: Torino
- region: Piemonte
a Cuorgne' website
note: currently 7 people in Cuorgne' named Gherna
edit: added
interactive map

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 08 Jun 2007, 16:04

You've also seen these Arizona records for surname
Gherna?
AZ Birth Death Records

relishcg

Postby relishcg » 08 Jun 2007, 20:31

Thanks for the info. I have looked at the Arizona birth/death records. I did find my grandfather's birth record there, (thank you my dad will love to see that) but other than that there are only a handful of other records and I can place all of them within my grandfathers generation, but one. They don't seem to provide any info on going back a generation to my great-great grandfather Antonio.

Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Maurizio » 24 Sep 2007, 17:24

relishcg wrote:A few years ago I did some brief family research on my father's side... now I am starting again and trying to go back a little further and I am stuck.

I am researching the surname Gherna.

My great-grandfather was Charles Gherna (also seen it as Carlo and Charlie)
From my research I found he was born October 3, 1879 in Courgne, Canavese. I have a record that he came through Ellis Isalnd in 1912, and I know he eventually settled in Morenci/ Bisbee Arizona. Through looking at Mexico border crossing records, census records, and WW1 draft cards I have pieced together that he had two brothers. Ralph Gherna born approx. 1883 ( no birth place that I could find) and Savino Gherna born July 7th 1893 Salto, C_____, Torino (can't read the word that starts with C on the draft card ) There was also possibly a sister named Cerolina.
On the ship manifest through Ellis Island for Carlo it lists another Gherna, Antonio and it says they are cousins.
The records I have found list Carlo's father as Antonio and Ralph's death record lists mother's maiden name as ____ Diero. Antonio was still living in Salto, Torino when his sons came through Ellis Island.

Now that I have rambled on my questions are these:
1.) Where exactly are these towns? I guess I am confused about what each of the town names means...

2.) Where do I go from here? I would like to find out more about Charles and his father Antonio ( and everyone else on back) but I can find no more links to any of the other Ghernas that I can find in ancestry databases, even though all of the other Ghernas I have found seem to be from around the same area in Italy. I would think there has to be a common link somewhere as Gherna is not a very common name.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I feel like I am now going in circles. Sorry for the long post.

Hi, relishgc.

1) Cuorgnè is a town of about 10.000, about 25 miles north of Turin.
Salto is an hamlet a couple of miles norther of the same town. Hamlet ("Frazione" in Italian, means that this village administratively belongs to the town of Cuorgnè.
Here's the link to the town's website (unfortunately, only in Italian):
http://www.comune.cuorgne.to.it

2) Where do you go now... it all depends on where do you want to arrive!
If you want to get further back in generations, rebuilding your family tree I guess you won't find much more on the Internet. Since you have his precide birth date, you could start by writing to the Vital Register Office in Cuorgnè and ask for the birth act and the "Stato di Famiglia" (family census) of Carlo Gherna: these two papers will give you the names of Carlo's parents and siblings. Then, I guess looking in Parish records would be your only option to go further back in time.

Hope this helps.
Ciao,
Maurizio

Return to “Italian Genealogy”