Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Postby daveferro » 17 Jun 2007, 05:16

Greeting,
In researching the family, we have some documents and my mother used to write to one cousin in Termoli, but we would like to reach other relatives in Italy. So...Does anyone know kin of the following people?

Maternal Grandfather: Giovanni Bissi, from Siculiania Sicily. I note that there is a Prof. Stefano Bissi listed (same name as his brother) and a Francesca, like my aunt. Parents were Salvatore and Francesca Iacono Bissi. Luckily, my cousin found our grandfather's Italian Army discharge papers in a toolbox in the basement, which is how we know greatgrandma's maiden name and other info.

Maternal Grandmother: Rosa Testa Bissi from Sant'Elia a Pianisi, Molise. We have her passport. Also another cousin in Montreal visits there often. Her parents were Salvatore and Chiara Colucci Testa.

Paternal Grandparents: Emilio and Dolorata Ferro (may have been Ferri, as some documents show), both from Civitella del Tronto, Abruzzo. This is the most difficult, as there are few documents. An alien registration card lists the home town as Ponzano Eterno, and there are two Ponzanos in the area around Civitella. Someone else told me my grandparents were from Civitella; none of my uncles knew (only 2 of 7 boys left).

Also, the Nervino family, changed to Nervina here. My foster mother was my biological mother's cousin, through the Testas. We have many documents about this family: baptismal certificates from NYC 1893, passports from a visit to Italy 1896 stamped Ellis Island. They were from Ripabottoni, Molise.

What I have seen so far of Italy makes me wonder why they left so beautiful a place. I know about the poverty and so on when they immigrated.

Anyone in Italy who needs help finding info here in the U.S. can feel free to contact me for help. We have many sites for geneaology (GenWeb esp) and interment, etc.

Thanks,
Dave

Lost_in_the_Genealogy

Re: Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Postby Lost_in_the_Genealogy » 17 Jun 2007, 11:33

daveferro wrote:Greeting,
Paternal Grandparents: Emilio and Dolorata Ferro (may have been Ferri, as some documents show), both from Civitella del Tronto, Abruzzo. This is the most difficult, as there are few documents. An alien registration card lists the home town as Ponzano Eterno, and there are two Ponzanos in the area around Civitella. Someone else told me my grandparents were from Civitella; none of my uncles knew (only 2 of 7 boys left).

I can't find any Ponzano Eterno in Italy. There is only a town called Ponzano di Fermo in the Italian region of Marche, far about 87 km (54 ml) from Civitella del Tronto
Greetings from Termoli
Giovanni

daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby daveferro » 07 Jul 2007, 07:44

Giovanni,
Thanks for the information. The Eterno was on the registration card but from the X at the signature, it shows that my grandfather could not write. He told the registrar the town name and could have been misunderstood. The registrar happened to be the son of my other grandfather friend, and my lawyer years later, Antony Contigula.
Mapquest shows two Ponzanos around Civitella del Tronto within a few miles. In the US, only one location name is allowed for each state.

Also noticed a town called Ferri, which is how our family name is spelled in some documents and some of our relatives in Rochester still spell it that way.

There are probably many papers at the old Ferro house, where my Uncle Mike still lives. Someday we have to get to see them.

Still looking for Basso Petti. It turns out that there were iron mines in Wayne County, but were abandoned before your great grandfather was there. I took a small book out of the library and it had one chapter about the pits and furnaces; these could not compete with the ore from the Mesabi range in Minnesota. The Wayne County historian also contacted me and said you had already sent messages to him.

I will continue to check with local historians. I did seach a database of Central New York newspapers, but could not find any mining accidents, yet.

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 07 Jul 2007, 09:47

hi, for to know exactly your branche family, you can say us the name of cousin in Termoli? from the letter you have sure.... they could be Colucci, Ferro, and Testa the both presents also in Termoli....
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby daveferro » 08 Jul 2007, 08:04

suanj,
Our cousin Chiara Testa, of Sant' Elia a Pianisi, married Frank Cinelli and my mother used to write to her there; unfortunately, she passed away a few years ago. She sent a picture of one of her sons marriage overlooking Termoli beach. Very beautiful; makes me think of Calif. We do not have any direct contact with cousins there, but her brother Salvatore (Sully) called from Montreal to say they were going there to visit, so we will be updated. We third generation relatives would like to be closer.

As far as my Ferro relatives, I am still trying to find when my grandparents arrived: there are a number of Emilio Ferros at the Ellis site, and they show a single man, while I know one uncle was born there and recently that there was an eighth son, who died in Italy. Friends who were from Civitella del Tronto told me they were from the same town, but the Alien Registratin Card shows Ponzano Eterno, though as I said, this may have been misheard.

Some regard these cards as draft notices, since they are from the same department then, but really a means to locate non-citizens during war. During WWII, our relatives had booklets that said "Enemy Aliens" as they never naturalized - could not read or write, but sent sons to war.

My great grandmother, Chiara Testa, was a Colucci.

Perhaps we have relatives for all these surnames, just as Chiara moved to Termoli.

Would it be helpful to others if I posted jpegs of our old documents, especially the 1896 passports? These show how they were printed, filled out with handwriting and identified the user.

Thank you for your help. I am impressed by everyone's ability to find things.

Dave Ferro
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally

daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby daveferro » 28 Jul 2007, 07:00

While talking to one cousin, she told me of another cousin who had info on our Ferro relatives, namely copies of our grandmother's passport and her son Frank Ferro (Ferri) who came with her from Italy.

The reason I could not find anything in Ellis Island is that they landed at Boston.

Info from Carol Ferro Weaver about Granma Ferro and Uncle Frank (her father)

Left Naples June 19, 1915
Arrived Boston June 29, 1915
Certificate # 0126
Third Class
SS Cretic

Granma Ferro passport:
Name: Ferri, Addolorata
Age 30
Born 1885
Maiden name:
Crasiriolli or Carrstioli
Corrsfori?
Mother: Feliciocia
Father:Vieraeuos?

Uncle Frank passport:
Born: Nov. 1913

Granpa Emilio came first

So I thought it would be easy to find the manifest. Can't find a thing. The SS Cretic in some websites are listed in 1914 and then 1916, skipping the year I want. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave, very tired

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 28 Jul 2007, 14:10

Dave,
This may be the manifest sailing from
Naples on 29 Giu (giugno) 1915
Lines 9 & 10
(ancestry.com search using first name only,
Boston 1915)
Valarie

1915 Ferri Manifest
page 2

maiden name appears to be Capriotti
Currently 20 folks in Civitella del Tronto
with that surname
surname search

note: may have been born in Corropoli, Teramo,
Abruzzo, according to pg 2 of manifest

daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby daveferro » 28 Jul 2007, 19:24

vj,

Thank you so much, I was getting frustrated...some of the sites felt like I was going in circles. Of course, I could pay to subscribe to ancestry.com

My cousin Carol (daughter of Frank on the manifest) said she could barely make out the writing on the passports and doesn't understand Italian. I told her about this site and people here would help. The hometown sounds like what you found.

She has make copies of the documents and I will scan and post. We're having a family get together in August, so I will be able to make copies for everyone.

Can't wait to show to my cousin Monica; she told me Carol had the passports.

Thanks again,

Dave

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 28 Jul 2007, 19:48

Dave,
I'm so glad we could help!
Looking forward to having your cousin
Carol post too :D
Question, did you find Emilio Ferro's manifest?
Is it possible he also came thru Boston?
Valarie

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 28 Jul 2007, 20:54

Dave,
A couple of manifest possibilities
for Emilio Ferro.
Valarie

According to 1920 census that suanj :D
found on your other post,
Emilio may have immigrated in 1914
(after son Frank was born).

Is this the Ellis manifest you & suanj found,
that indicated an Emilio that was single?
July 1914 Ferri Manifest
page 2
2 Jul 1914 SS Verona Naples to NY
Line 17
Emilio Ferri, 23 (abt 1891)
- single
- in hospital
- possible naturalization notation 7-125093 7/31/39
- last residence, Fara Filiorum (Fara Filiorum Petri, Chieti, Abruzzo)
- father Antonio in Fara Filiorum
- destination Binghamton, NY
- joining brother Giovanni
- born in Foro?

and another one from 1914, married...
may have spelling error on first name
April 1914 Ferri Manifest
page 2
14 April 1914, SS Celtic
Line 30
Emidio? Ferri 23 (abt 1891)
- married
- last residence Civitella (Civitella del Tronto, Teramo, Abruzzo)
- destination Rochester, NY
- joining brother Camillo
- born in Civitella

daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby daveferro » 08 Aug 2007, 23:39

Hi Valarie,

Just checked in and found the info and will check it. Sunday we had the Ferro get-together and Carol had copies of granma's papers stapled together for all of us (well, maybe 15, and there are about a ton of cousins). I couldn't get a good copy to print but transferred all my pics and docs to her grandson's computer...her son borrowed hers.

I noticed that the top of the manifest has a "York" then Boston stamped in which is crossed off and New York typed in to the right. I looked up some dates and found that the Luisitania was sunk in May and Italy joined the Allied Powers on May 22. This could have caused some changes in sea travel.

Also, there are some notations for 1939 and 1942 on the manifest. I didn't know that they updated these documents.

My cousins told me that granpa came first to Rochester. You may have found the missing link. The first name on the manifest looks more like Emidio and Giovanni (Lost_in_Genealogy) told me this is a legit spelling in Italy. [Still trying to find Giovanni's great-grandfather! Not giving up...Newark, NY is about 35 miles from here, so...]

He was born in 1891 and lived in Civitella, we have relatives in Rochester who still use the Ferri name, but not sure about a brother Camilo. I'll ask Carol and Jeanette. His sister's name was Celia.

I think the Auburn City Directory has a first mention of Emilio Ferri in 1913; better go check that. It might be 1914.

When Carol showed me a photo album, there was one of her mother's grandparents (her maiden name was Pisano) and under some was written the name "Tardio." I said "That's the name on the ItalianGenealogy site!"
She's checking on the names and hometowns so I can report back.

We have a number of documents for various families that I would like to post so everyone can examine them, like a passport from 1896 and my granpa Bissi's Italian Army Discharge papers from 1902 (that's how I know great granma's maiden name). Does the site have examples of handwriting so people can decipher these manifests? Only by knowing my grandmother's name was I able to figure out that the scribbles that look like lower case Greek deltas were lower case "d's" which now that I think of it is where they come from. Those Italians certainly are close to the Greeks. I've started a website, but haven't had time to upload many pics.

Thanks a Fermillion, Valarie! I'll tell the cousins; I've given a bunch the web address. Most are like my older sisters, and I'm sure everyone would like them.

Dave

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 09 Aug 2007, 00:21

Hi Dave!
Glad we could help add perhaps another
pc to the puzzle.
And, thanks for the update :D !
We're looking forward to meeting your cousins.
Valarie

From Communes of Italy Website
Italian Handrwiting

From Lou Alfano
Manifest Notations

daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby daveferro » 09 Aug 2007, 05:59

Valarie,

You found Grandpa Ferro, or Ferri at the time. I think my father and uncles changed the name. Imagine seven boys in an American school and responding to Ferri. I have uploaded more photos to Family Albums at the website so anyone can view them. In the Ferro Family Album, there is a photo of Granma and Granpa with the boys. I wonder how Granma handled that bunch.

Ferro Family

Not much there except photos, but I'm working on it.

There seems to be several people going to Rochester. Also number 23 looks like my grandmother's maiden name, Capriotti, although it might be Caprioffi in her manifest...that handwriting again. Thanks for the links on handwriting.

I am uploading to the website and to my cousin Jeanette (Carol's sister) at the same time I am writing this, dial-up: very slow.

Thank you again from the family. I hope I can help others with their searches.

Dave

Asphix

Postby Asphix » 17 Aug 2007, 22:11

Hi,

I have a friend with surname Ferro and his family came from Montecchio Precalcino - Vicenza Province.

Regards!

daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby daveferro » 18 Aug 2007, 05:12

Hello Asphix,

Not sure about any of our relatives in Vicenza. The name was Ferri in Civititella del Tronto, Abruzzo but changed here in Auburn, yet our relatives in Rochester, NY kept the original name.

I really should put the abbreviations for the provinces after the names, as there has been another inquiry of a Basile, but from a different province.

We should check if there is any connection. You never know how many shirt-tail cousins you might have.

Thanks for your reply,

Dave

Return to “Italian Genealogy”