opinions, please

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
luvmynonnie
Rookie
Rookie

opinions, please

Postby luvmynonnie » 22 Jun 2007, 03:11

:D
First of all..this is an awesome website! I have been reading here for a few weeks and just joined today.

I am a newbie at researching my Italian heritage but it is so exciting to trace my roots.

My grandparents (maternal side) were both born in Italy. Pretty certain they were born in the province of Casacontitella. Not sure if I spelled that correctly. They both came to the states. I have found (and what a thrill it was) the ship's manifest for my grandmother but not for my grandfather.
They came separately...first my grandfather (don't know the year) and then my grandmother came in 1920 with their daughter.
Grandmother: Giovina Rapposelli (maiden name) born 1883
Grandfather: Antonio D'Angelo born 1887

My mother told me that my grandfather came to the US twice and she thinks he went to Canada and became a citizen? Not really sure of that because her memory isn't the best. The reason my grandmother came later is because of the war (WW1) and apparently she couldn't leave Italy...the story in the family is that gramma and grampa were separated for nine years before she joined him here in the states.

I also found the ship's manifest for when my uncle (my grandmother's brother) came to the states. This is the part where I need your expert *eyes* to see if anyone can read the line where it says: who they are going to stay with. I can read that my uncle is going to stay with his brother-in-law Antonio D'Angelo (my grandfather) but there is also written *cousin* Donato ??????????????? I cannot read the last name of Donato and I am not sure that info belongs with my uncles. Can't tell if the Donato info is for the next passenger.
Would someone please take a look at the manifest and give me their opinions on what Donato's last name was and most importantly if you think Donato is my uncle's relative.

Eugenio Rapposelli (my grandmother's brother)
Ship: Berlin
Date: 6/10/1913
He's number 7 in line
Rapino is listed as last place he lived

If Donato is related to us then his last name will be another clue!
Sorry this is soooo long. Stuff I have found so far:
1930 census for CA
Grandfather's draft registration
Grandmother's ship manifest
Uncle's ship manifest

Thank you for reading and hopefully someday I will actually find out the name of my Great Grandmother :D
I did learn from reading here that if I send for my grandmother's application for a social security number/card that her maiden name very well may be on the form. I am praying that is so. I am determined to find out
My dad was Italian as well and haven't started on that side yet. LOL

Lib

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: opinions, please

Postby wldspirit » 22 Jun 2007, 06:51

Welcome to the forum..... :D
Excellent summary!!!!!

Do you know if either of them naturalized? Usually noted on census, and sometimes on manifest....by obtaining this record, you can discover much more info.

Variations of the name are DiAngelo and DeAngelo, might want to check for this spelling.

Can you provide the name of the children born to them.....this can be used to track further info.

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 22 Jun 2007, 07:04

For those interested in the search, Antonio's death record:

California Death Index, 1940-1997

Name: Antonio Dangelo
Social Security #: xxxxxx
Sex: MALE
Birth Date: 20 May 1887
Birthplace: Italy
Death Date: 29 Dec 1969
Death Place: Alameda
Mother's Maiden Name: Zz

WW2 draft registration, list same name, date of birth, birthplace of Naples. nearest relative Julia D'Angelo.......date of the Alien registration: 6-11-1943.

wldspirit

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 22 Jun 2007, 07:29

If this is the correct 1930 census, then note that the children Agnes, Josie and John, were born in Michigan. Antonio's immigration is listed as 1912.
Perhaps you can locate the manifest using this date, also check out the link to Michigan.

1930 United States Federal Census

Name: Antone Dangelo
Home in 1930: Oakland, Alameda, California
Estimated birth year: abt 1888
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Julia
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
Antone Dangelo 42
Julia Dangelo 46
Agnes Dangelo 8
Josie Dangelo 7
John Dangelo 5

wldspirit

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 22 Jun 2007, 08:06

well the birthplace sure is CASACANDITELLA in Chieti province as also RAPINO....
the Donato surname is ZACCAGNINI... hoping helpful, regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 22 Jun 2007, 08:22

this could be the 1920 census Ironwood, Michigan
Antonio Angles( D'Angelo) age 32 imm 1912 head
Josephine( Giovina) age 34 age 36 imm 1919..( no in the jan 1920)
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/2903 ... 920xy5.jpg
your suggestions?
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 22 Jun 2007, 08:27

WWI draft registration card
Antonio D'Angelo born in Casacanditella-Chieti-Italy the 20 May 1887, living in Ironwood, MI

wife and 2 children,
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7572 ... aftow0.jpg

who and where was the children?
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 22 Jun 2007, 08:34

Antonio D'Angelo 1912, May 3 ship's manifest , wife Giovina in Casacanditella, joining the brother in law Vincenzo DELLA ROVERE/A

page 1

page 2
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 22 Jun 2007, 12:40

Lee and Raffaela,
Great finds

On the 1912 manifest Raffaela found, Antonio's destination looks like S(ault) S(ainte) Marie, Ontario.

Here's a possible Canadian border crossing record from 1915, line 25, for an Antonio D'Angelo, last residence S S Marie, approximate yob 1887.
1915 Canadian Border Crossing

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

luvmynonnie
Rookie
Rookie

Postby luvmynonnie » 22 Jun 2007, 14:20

Oh my gosh! I am absolutely speechless...you all are wonderful!
I have to leave for a while but will be back.
Can't believe you found all you did. I have searched for weeks.
Tears of happiness..
So, it does look like Donato's info on my uncle's ship manifest goes with him? Wow!
Lib

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 22 Jun 2007, 14:48

Lib,
I do not believe that the Donato on Eugenio's manifest is another relative. I believe it is for the person on line 8. Would appreciate others' input. For reference, see lines 7 and 8.

Page 1 Eugenio 1913 Manifest

Page 2 1913 Eugenio Manifest
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 22 Jun 2007, 14:58

Biff,
I agree with you. It looks like the contact name for each entry is on the dotted line. Antonio's name is on one dotted line and Donato's is on the next one.

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 22 Jun 2007, 15:07

I wasn't able to find any D'Angelo records on the site below but the following has lots of information/photos on the ore mines and the Gogebic Range.

http://mattsonworks.com/

luvmynonnie
Rookie
Rookie

Postby luvmynonnie » 22 Jun 2007, 21:08

You all are just the best! Thank you so very much for taking the time to give me your opinions on if Donato's info went with my uncle's.

The 1930 census for my grandparents is correct and it lists all the kids. So neat to see my mom there :D

The 1920 one from Ironwood Michigan...not sure because in 1920 they did have one child, my aunt Mary and she's not listed.
My grandmother's name was Giovina but we only knew her as Julia but I think Giovina can also be for the name Josephine? Maybe that is why she is listed on the 1920 census as Josephine. Also, I know my grandparents barely spoke english so perhaps the census taker misunderstood what she said?
My mom and her other sister and brother were not born yet so it makes sense they aren't listed.
My grandfather did work in the iron mines and all of their kids were born in michigan. My mom says everyone was delivered at home.

Thank you for giving me the various spellings of D'Angelo...that may help in the long run.

The ship manifest for Antonio does look right...and as I said my mom says he went to Canada first. Really interesting find that he was going to visit his brother-in-law Vincenzo Della Rovere/a? The name doesn't ring any bells with my ma but she did say that she remembers a cousin about her age in Michigan and she thinks it was my grandfather's sisters child. Perhaps the Della Rovere/a surname was my mother's aunts married name? Gosh, so many mysteries.

Again, this is a long post.....guess I am just so excited about this entire process that I can't stop talking about it.

I will keep digging and keep you posted on my progress.
Also will keep reading here to see if there is anything that I can do to help someone else. I am not great with the computer but I can try!
Lib

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 22 Jun 2007, 22:22

Lib,
After checking the dates that the 1920 census was taken in Ironwood, I agree with you that the posted 1920 census is likely not for your Antonio and Giovina. Giovina and daughter did not arrive until 29 January 1920 at Ellis Island and I believe the census had already been completed before they left for Michigan to join Antonio. Would like to hear what others think on this one.

Biff

Return to “Italian Genealogy”