Sending for info from Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rg1905
Rookie
Rookie

Sending for info from Italy

Postby rg1905 » 27 Jun 2007, 20:19

I was interested in sending for information from Avellino and Naples, Italy. How does one go about requesting those records from a foreign country. Do you need to send money? I think I can get a family member to translate a letter to Italian for me. Has anyone had any success sending for birth records or military records etc. from Italy? :roll:

denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Sending for info from Italy

Postby denman922 » 27 Jun 2007, 20:40

RG visit the websites of these two towns and locate an e-mail address and postal address and write to both. I have never been charged anything. Try to write in english and italian. I have noticed many of the people I have had contact with, do understand english to varying extents. I use "google translate" by cutting and pasting and send both the italian and english versions of your request, that way if the translation is not correct, they can try to read your english. Send your e-mail address and physical address and don't be surprised if you do not get an e-mail response. I didn't, and my docs still showed up in the mailbox 2 weeks later. this happened twice.

I have found this to be the simplest, inexpensive way with little investment of time.

Good luck,
Dennis
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Re: Sending for info from Italy

Postby Poipuo4 » 27 Jun 2007, 21:08

use this website and look under resources for the letter generator. http://www.circolocalabrese.org/calabri ... labria.asp

They have an automatic generator for these kinds of letters. Also it is helpful to include a self-addressed envelope. Some towns use these, some don't. Some people also suggest to include a voucher for postage (there are lots of opinions on this on this board.) I also photocopy my license and send it to them, because I understand that under Italian law, they require an identification to release these kinds of records.

Good luck! I have always gotten a response within a few weeks or so.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”