Trying to find place of birth

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Babalusci

Trying to find place of birth

Postby Babalusci » 27 Jun 2007, 22:42

:?: Greetings to all. I"m trying to find my grandparents place of birth so I can request their birth certificates. Everything I have found leads me to Naples. Giustino Sallusto born March 14 1874. Antonia Staiano born December 31 1888. Passenger list shows them as being from Naples. I requested birth + marriage certificates from naples. I received a written reply stating that no marriage record was found in their archives, with no mention of the birth certificates. sent an email for follow up, no response yet. I"m waiting for uscis to send immigration info. Leaving tommorow for a month in italy so if I need to go somewhere in person now is the time to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated Ken

Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Trying to find place of birth

Postby Essgee » 28 Jun 2007, 04:41

They probably were not married in Italy. On the passenger manifest, it stated that he was married, age 32. She was traveling with him, age 18 and single and called his niece. They were going to meet his cousin, Pasquale Antonucci, who was listed as her uncle. I imagine since Pasquale and Guistino were cousins, she was considered the niece of Guistino as well.

He listed a another wife, left in Naples...looks like Ava Marina...or something like that. So, when they arrived, they were not married. His wife must have died and then he remarried her in the US. Look to find those records in the city and state where he lived.

Bear in mind, Nola is a town in the Province of Naples where there were a lot of immigrants with the name of Sallusto that came to the US. So if no birth record from the town of Naples, check out this town in the Province of Naples. But you are correct, the city of Naples was listed as place of birth on the manifest.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 28 Jun 2007, 05:25

in the ship' s manifest antonina Staiano is listed as niece of Giustino Sallusto; the him wife is Marina D'UVA in Capodimonte-Naples, and the Antonia's father is Salvatore in Naples; the birthplace is Naples for both ..... in the WWI draft registration card the wife is Antonia... so he married with the niece.... in Manhattan the Jun 12 1912 certificate number 14539 : Staiano Antonietta( diminutive of Antonia) and Sallusto Giustino ......
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Babalusci

Postby Babalusci » 28 Jun 2007, 09:55

I cannot say how much I appreciate your help. Thankyou so much. I will order the marriage certificate from the NYC archives, and I think I will go to the anagrafe in Naples in person. Again thankyou regards Ken

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 28 Jun 2007, 12:54

In addition to suanj's great find, here is a copy of the 1910 census...

They are already living together as husband and wife with two children born in the US.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x99/ ... Census.jpg

Makes life interesting, doesn't it?

Good Luck

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 28 Jun 2007, 15:06

Babalusci wrote:I cannot say how much I appreciate your help. Thankyou so much. I will order the marriage certificate from the NYC archives, and I think I will go to the anagrafe in Naples in person. Again thankyou regards Ken

for the birth records and marriage record of Giustino, you must write here:
Servizio Stato Civile del Comune di Napoli
2° traversa dell'Epomeo, Parco Quadrifoglio
80126 Napoli (NA)
ITALY

serv-statocivile @ comune.napoli.it (NO SPACES)

regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Jaclyndagostino

Postby Jaclyndagostino » 28 Jan 2016, 22:04

Hello! I too am seeking information on Giustino Sallusto as well! My records are similiar to yours. my research indicates that his parents were John Sallusto and rose Vitelli (Vitielli?) from San Gerraro or Torre Del Greco. My great, great grandmother was Amalia Grillo, nee
Sallusto which I thought was his sister.

Are you aware if Giustino had a sister Amalia that married into the Grillo family? Amalia' spouse, Giuseppe Grillo was an accomplished artist and coral engraver. He made cameos both in Torre Del Greco and in Manhattan.

Thank you!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”