Military records question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Military records question

Postby denman922 » 29 Jun 2007, 13:08

How does one research the when and where of an ancestors military service? I meant to ask you, Biff, about this on Sunday, How you were able to find so much info on your Dad. I guess you knew which battalion he was in. In my case I have several relatives that I don't even know which branch they served in. I know alot of records were lost in a fire in St.Louis back in the 70's. Is that it? Is that info gone like the 1890 census?
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ

Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Military records question

Postby Biff83 » 29 Jun 2007, 14:12

Hi Dennis,

You're correct that a large number of records were destroyed by a fire in St Louis. However, there are two things you can do which will help. First, every service man and woman received discharge papers which contain a wealth of information. Serial number, rank, unit, MOS (military occupation specialty), decorations and awards, campaigns, etc. Because of the GI Bill benefits, the vast majority kept these. Also, most units published histories after the war which were given to members. Since my Dad served in the 83d Infantry Division, he received a copy of the division history, and since his Field Artillery Battalion also published a history, he received that also. The histories served as the core to the narrative of my father's WWII experiences; I added details from other books and websites.

The following link has a lot of information on where to look for records.
Dad's War

And here's a link to the National Archives where you can search for WWII Army Enlistment Records. Navy, Marine and Coast Guard are not currently available. The same information is on Ancestry but Ancestry's data does not include the Army Serial Number.
National Archives WWII Search

Best,
Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Postby denman922 » 30 Jun 2007, 13:43

Thanks Biff. That is a cool site, but the people I know served in the military, still do not show up. Is there a site where the names of the men who served in a particular division are listed. Such as:

I know my Uncle served in North Africa and then Sicily, then mainland Italy, is it possible to find out which division did that?
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 01 Jul 2007, 19:15

Hi Dennis,

Here are the divisions which served in all three theaters--North Africa, Sicily and Italy.
2nd Armored Division
1st Infantry Division
3rd Infantry Division
9th Infantry Division
There also were numerous other independent battalions and regiments of engineers, anti-aircraft artillery, tanks, tank destroyer, field artillery, chemical, mortar, military police, and others which were at times assigned to various divisions.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby daveferro » 07 Oct 2007, 08:08

Biff,

Thanks for those websites. I had been looking for places to save the stories of my fathers, mothers, uncles and aunts during the war.

About ten years ago, my cousin found my father, Mario Ferro's diary in his mother's attic. It was from 1944-45 in the Philippines while with a tank battalion, though he was in a service company preparing food for the "boys" that is the 18 year-olds. He turned 26 there. I never knew him, so this was special. Transcribed and copied the original with pictures and gave copies to relatives and to museums and history centers here. Another cousin had records he made before and after the war, mostly of him singing. One was on Dec 6, 1941 with friends singing Christmas songs and another labeled "Talking of the war by The Gang" probably the next day. They discuss what is going to happen.

My foster dad, Nick Basile, was 30 when drafted and got into an ambulance company, traveling from Le Havre to Germany to the Philippines then to Hiroshima. He luckily labeled his photos and told some stories.

My uncle Sam Bissi was in the 327th Glider Regiment 101st Div and has told me many stories. He has me checking on where on earth they were during the war, as the officers would never tell them. He said he found a typewriter with Goering's name on it in a train, but got tired of carrying it and tossed it.

Another uncle, Joe Wawro, was in Italy with the Fifth Army and his son Stan loaned me his photos (about 15) of the area from Anzio to Rome.

We have three photos of 2 great uncles from the Italy Army and Stan also found our grandfather Giovanni Bissi's discharge papers from the Italian Army in 1902.

Don Burgett's books about serving with the 101st paratroopers brings a good insight to what the conditions were like. Also David Winters who was also in the 506th.

This one from Uncle Joe Wawro is labeled Cestrina, but I'm wondering if he didn't mean Cisterna.

Where do you think these should be posted?

Dave

PS: while at another cousin's house, she showed some photos of her mother's family (Pisano) and one was of a family with "Tardio" written on it. I knew that the name was on this website and then in your profiles. I'll have to get a copy of that photo.
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 07 Oct 2007, 14:08

I was just reding an article in some news magazine. (Sorry I don't remember which one- I was in the dentist's office) but it talked about the fact that oral histories of veterans of WW II were being collected in order to preserve the eyewitness accounts. This sounds like a fascinating project. They were even sending volunteers and/or researchers to people's homes to collect the stories.
Sorry I don't have more info but if you are interested, I sure someone else saw it. It was recent because it also discussed Ken Burns' PBS project on WW II.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”