Vincenzo Aluise - Maybe Mendicino, Consenza ??

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Vincenzo Aluise - Maybe Mendicino, Consenza ??

Post by Staci4 »

Cathynap - Did you ever get a chance to look at your Microfilms??

Thank you!
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Stasi - so sorry - I forgot all about you! I am also looking for birth acts of other people's grandparents. Sorry :oops: I will go again on Tuesday night. Can you please post who I am looking for and a birthyear please? I forgot :oops: I will try to redeem myself Tuesday night.
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Staci4 »

LMAO!! Not a problem I was trying not to be pushy :) hehe

I had to re-install Vista to my Laptop. It came with it but it got corrupted (Yeah for me) so everything was deleted. i just need to re-read this post and will get it in one short and sweet post for you :)

Thank you!!
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Vincenzo Aluise - Castrovillari

Post by Staci4 »

Cathynap wrote:
Staci4 wrote:I looked up his sister (Marie Aluise Santelli) and HER father is Pasquale and her birth/last place of residence is Cerisano, Italy. She married Guiseppe Santelli and moved to the US and then later her brother came and moved in with them, got married, had children and then moved his family to a new home (1920 & 1930 census for them :) ).

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... pl&indiv=1

So I think I need to write to the Cerisano town to get info for Vincenzo? Does this sound right?

NEVERMIND!! This is where Santelli is from and that is why she said she was from there. It is just a hop, skip and a jump from Mendicino which is where I (we, you all) said he could be from. According to his WWI Registration it looked like Ma(e)n(r)ticino (the letters in () are possibly what else it could be).

Anyways thank you!!
Mendicino? In Cosenza Province? I think some of my microfilms from Montalto Uffugo have Mendicino on them. My FHC is closed for vacation right now but if you tell me what years you are looking for I can have a peek at your surnames if I have the correct time frame and the microfilms I have on loan have those years. If all you want is Vincenzo's birth act it would be easier to write the comune. If you want more - Vincenzo's brothers and sisters, aunt and uncles, etc. try to get the microfilm. But if he was born in Mendicino and I have the correct year for Mendicino on my microfilm I can look for him for you when they reopen if you would like that. Post his birth year here and I'll look it up on the LDS site to see if I have the microfilm.
The address Riccardo gave you for your grandmother's comune will get you her birth act. If you write them as he suggests they will send you her birth act. If you need the address to request Vincenzo's birth act post it here and Riccardo can post Mendicino's address too.
And then the pertanent info :) Vincenzo Aluise - born: March 8, 1890 Thank you!! His Father was Pasquale and his sister was Marie. She married Guiseppe Santelli and they lived in Cerisano. He had a brother named Domenico (older)
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

OK - 1890 - that would be LDS Film # 1608136. I don't have that film yet but I have just ordered it. Maybe that's why I forgot - I haven't got the film in yet. You have my email, so if I don't contact you in 2 weeks (it should take about 2 weeks to receive) either email me, pm me or post here in case I have another "senior moment". I have had a lot of requests lately for records (from my website) so it's getting difficult to remember everyone. I really hope I can find his birth act for you - if he was born in Mendicino I should be able to find it since you gave me the year or birth. Thanks for your patience and understanding!
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Staci4 »

OK So first of all: THANK YOU!!! Please I have waited 32 years.... I can wait longer. And YOU are doing all the work right now so seriously THANK YOU!!!

I will touch base in a couple of weeks :D hehe If I knew how to say "Ce la vie" or "Que sera sera" in Italian I would :) hehe

Oh, any Aluise (Perrone, Intieri - hehe) would be nice (They also spelled it Al-O-ise).

Happy hunting!!
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Staci,
The film just came in last week and I went tonight to review it, but I was unable to find a Vincenzo Aluise. He either was not born on the date you stated or he was not born in Mendicino. I did find a birth act for a baby named Giuseppina Rosina Concetta Aloise. She was born in February, 1890 and was the daughter of Giuseppe (who was the son of Vincenzo) and Tomassina (cannot make out the last name could be Logreti?) The Mendicino records are in horrible condition and show up very dark. The indexes I looked at were so dark they were not readable. Unfortunately my FHC does not have a dark room like some do so dark records are impossible to read there. I did save a copy of this other Aloise. It is possible that is his sister since the grandfather's name is the same as your grandfather. He could have been named after his grandfather if he was the eldest boy. Unfortunately, Mendicino did not take precautions to store their records properly. I have seen some of their records in much worse shape. Here is a link to the Aloise birth act I did find: http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t300 ... loise1.jpg

The microfilm number is 1608136. If you do order it make sure that the FHC you order it from has a dark area to view the film so you have a better chance seeing it.
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Staci4 »

Thank you for this!! I will pass it on to my father and see what info he has on any other possible names of relatives!!
Jimmy2Cups

Post by Jimmy2Cups »

Hi, I would like to stress the point that "James" is a translation of the Italian name "Vincenzo", particularly in the first half of the 20th century in the US northeast. Here is a personal story: My father was born in 1926 in an Italian neighborhood in New York. He was given the name Vincenzo and no middle name, as is the custom of Italians. The Italian American doctor delivering my father told his family to call him "Jimmy" because that name is more modern. I understand the word "modern" to mean "Americanized". My best guess is that "Jimmy", a name that Italian Americans often go by, sounds similar to "Vinny" when you pronounce the "i" the Italian way (i.e., as the English "e") and when the leading consonant is pronounced softly (as Italians do and English speakers don't do).

My father later made his name James and took Vincent to be his middle name. I am his junior, as James Vincent. My son is named Peter James, but I introduce him to relatives in Italy as Pietro Vincenzo. I have a relative who lived through the same process and he ended up giving his son the name of "Vincent".

I hope this helps clarify why your father is named James (or Jimmy as a nickname). This story is not unique. You can find many people, like my father and yours whose names started as Vincenzo and turned into Jimmy or James.
mrsjudylynch

Post by mrsjudylynch »

Hello,
I am looking for birth records for Antonio Santelli born in Cosenza, Italy in 1880 who had a brother Luciano Santelli born Cosenza on Dec. 11, 1877. Luciano emigrated to the United States on the Prince Oscar from Naples in 1904 and his brother Antonio was already in New York.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Judy Lynch