Naming conventions

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Naming conventions

Postby dalbino83 » 04 Jul 2007, 14:04

I've just started to look at the microfilms at the local Family History Center, and I have several questions about naming conventions.

The answer on this first one is probably obvious, but I just want to verify I'm understanding ... in the index of the birth records for a particular year, a typical listing for a relative is "D'Albino Mariagiovanna di Vincenzo" ... which appears to mean that this is a listing for Mariagiovanna D'Albino's birth, and her father's first name was Vincenzo.

In the earliest births I researched (1885 and 1887), the father's name was listed as Vincenzo D'Albino and mother as Angelamaria Carlone. But starting in 1889, the father was listed as Vincenzo D'Albino di Nicola and the mother as Angelamaria Carlone di Giacomo. Does that mean that Vincenzo's father's first name was Nicola, and Angelamaria's father's first name was Giacomo?

The other question I have is about conventions for Americanizing names. I have been able to find nine children of Vincenzo and Angelamaria so far, and one of them is named Guiseppe. I had been thinking the American version of that name is Joseph ... but could it be James? I have found mention of a James Albino in that generation in the United States after immigration, but not a Joseph just yet.

Thanks,
Donna

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Naming conventions

Postby nuccia » 04 Jul 2007, 21:09

The answer on this first one is probably obvious, but I just want to verify I'm understanding ... in the index of the birth records for a particular year, a typical listing for a relative is "D'Albino Mariagiovanna di Vincenzo" ... which appears to mean that this is a listing for Mariagiovanna D'Albino's birth, and her father's first name was Vincenzo.

Yes, and Vincenzo was still alive at the time of her birth, thus the 'di'. If Vincenzo was deceased at the time of her birth it would read 'fu'/

In the earliest births I researched (1885 and 1887), the father's name was listed as Vincenzo D'Albino and mother as Angelamaria Carlone. But starting in 1889, the father was listed as Vincenzo D'Albino di Nicola and the mother as Angelamaria Carlone di Giacomo. Does that mean that Vincenzo's father's first name was Nicola, and Angelamaria's father's first name was Giacomo?

This means that Vincenzo's father was Nicola (living at the time the record was written) and the mother was Angelamaria Carlone whose father was Giacomo, living as well at the time the record was written.

Hope this helps. :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 05 Jul 2007, 00:03

The other question I have is about conventions for Americanizing names. I have been able to find nine children of Vincenzo and Angelamaria so far, and one of them is named Guiseppe. I had been thinking the American version of that name is Joseph ... but could it be James? I have found mention of a James Albino in that generation in the United States after immigration, but not a Joseph just yet.

Hi Donna - The name Vincenzo was often anglicized to James. This apparently has something to do with the fact that a diminutive form of Vincenzo ("cenz") sounds like the name James.
John Armellino

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 05 Jul 2007, 00:25

Both the name Giacomo and Vincenzo can translate to James. Giuseppe is almost always translated to Joseph.

Of course Giuseppe could have had another name...a nickname...and that was translated to James.

But look for a child named Giacomo as that is the name of the grandfather...possibly the second son born to the couple. Vincenzo unlikely to name his own son Vincenzo...there is no "junior" in the old records.

The only time I have seen a son carry the same name as the father is if the father died before the son is born or if it is a variation of the name. Like Francesco Saverio having a son name Francescantonio. If the mother's father was named Francescantonio, then the child could still be named after the grandfather. So I don't think there was a son named Vincenzo...but exceptions prove the rule.

I believe I read somewhere that a father and son could not have the same legal name and live in the same household. Hence the practice of naming the sons first after the grandfather's then after grandfather's or brothers. Same with the women. Had to do with "legal" aspects. If I am wrong, there are a lot here that will "correct" me!!!!

Good Luck

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 05 Jul 2007, 00:35

Essgee wrote:Both the name Giacomo and Vincenzo can translate to James. Giuseppe is almost always translated to Joseph.

Of course Giuseppe could have had another name...a nickname...and that was translated to James.

But look for a child named Giacomo as that is the name of the grandfather...possibly the second son born to the couple. Vincenzo unlikely to name his own son Vincenzo...there is no "junior" in the old records.

The only time I have seen a son carry the same name as the father is if the father died before the son is born or if it is a variation of the name. Like Francesco Saverio having a son name Francescantonio. If the mother's father was named Francescantonio, then the child could still be named after the grandfather. So I don't think there was a son named Vincenzo...but exceptions prove the rule.

I believe I read somewhere that a father and son could not have the same legal name and live in the same household. Hence the practice of naming the sons first after the grandfather's then after grandfather's or brothers. Same with the women. Had to do with "legal" aspects. If I am wrong, there are a lot here that will "correct" me!!!!

Good Luck

Essgee,

You are not wrong. I was just posting a similar post when I noticed yours so I deleted mine. Giacomo can be Jack or James and Vincenzo was often shortened to James.

Also, its true that sons could not take their fathers names unless they were deceased.

You never have to worry about someone correcting you. You're info is almost always 100% correct! :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare

dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Postby dalbino83 » 05 Jul 2007, 02:43

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this thread. I'm thrilled to know the difference between a "di" and a "fu" in the name, and to have a few more names to search for in the records when I go back to the Family History Center. I appreciate all of you so very much for taking the time to respond to this thread.

Donna

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 05 Jul 2007, 06:36

Donna,

Glad we could help. Let us know if we can help you in any other way.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare

kennycarlone

Postby kennycarlone » 13 Dec 2011, 09:42

I'm sorry I am just curious if I am related to these people? Kenneth R Carlone Jr.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 13 Dec 2011, 16:29

Kenneth you might want to contact the author of this post by private message and see if you can connect your families.

As a side note: I have found recently that father's did name their sons after themselves sometimes in the older records (unlike what I previously thought). Although it was rare it did happen. The law about father and son not having the same name is fairly recent (to my understanding).
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare

Return to “Italian Genealogy”