Surname Iarocci

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
aiclark

Surname Iarocci

Postby aiclark » 04 Jul 2007, 16:39

I'm not sure if my previous attempt at a post went through, so I'm going to try again...

I am looking for information about Mateo (Matthew) Iarocci. I do not believe he ever lived in the United States. He was from Bonefro, Campobasso. He apparently had two families (two wives - consecutively, not concurrently! -- at least I hope).

I think my grandfather, Donato Iarocci, was the oldest of the children by the second wife. I'm trying to find out what her name was. My grandfather came to the United States (New York) in 1905 at age 11.

He came to live with his (half?) brother, Francesco (Frank) Iarocci in New Rochelle, New York. Apparently, there was a real rift between my grandfather and the older group of siblings since he never spoke about any one of them except Pardo Iarocci, who ended up living in Connecticut. In the 1910 Census he is listed as a boarder with another family.

I'm trying to find information on my great-grandmother, whom I think my grandfather brought to the U.S. I'd also like to know about the older half-siblings.

Any information I have from my grandfather lists his father, but not his mother (was that a common practice?). Also, almost everyone who would know who the older sibings were is now dead.

Thanks for any help or direction!

Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Surname Iarocci

Postby Biff83 » 04 Jul 2007, 17:51

Since you know the year of his birth, you could write to the comune of Bonefro and ask for a copy of your grandfather's birth act which should give the names of both his parents.

Address is:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Bonefro
Piazza Municipio
86041 Bonefro (CB)
Italy

A link to an interactive form letter which you can use.
Interactive Letter

The names of his parents might also be on his Social Security application and/or his naturalization papers.

Hope this helps.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 04 Jul 2007, 20:57

You may also consider ordering microfilm from your FHC and looking through it for your ancestors records.

A guide to help you understand civil records..

Research Guide

Heres the link to the records available for your town:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

I hope this helps! :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Postby littleapple » 14 Aug 2007, 14:23

AIclark, if you can give me some dates with the names I can try and look up the records, I have some Bonefro films in town right now as i am researching that town too.
Let me know,
Melina
Chi sa dove, chi sa quando ma con tempo trovera.

DMM

Postby DMM » 22 Sep 2007, 00:53

aiclark wrote:...I think my grandfather, Donato Iarocci, was the oldest of the children by the second wife. I'm trying to find out what her name was. My grandfather came to the United States (New York) in 1905 at age 11.

I'm trying to find information on my great-grandmother, whom I think my grandfather brought to the U.S. I'd also like to know about the older half-siblings...

I've done a bit of research on Bonefro families, so I checked my research notes. I have a Donato Iarocci born in 1893 of father Matteo Iarocci (born about 1850) and mother Anna Maria D'Onofrio (see LDS microfilm 1808120 for 1893 births). I also have a note on Donato Iarocci arriving Ellis Island on the Italia, 23 June 1905. Unfortunately, I have no more information on Matteo or Anna Mara. You'll have to confirm, of course, that this Donato was your grandfather, but I hope this helps you some!

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 22 Sep 2007, 07:18

Ciao,
Think DMM says right!!
It's only a note but Donato Iarocci in 1910 Census was living like a boarder just in family named D'Onofrio....

1910 United States Federal Census
about Donato Daroci
Name: Donato Daroci
[Donato Iarocci]
Age in 1910: 16
Estimated birth year: abt 1894
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: New Rochelle Ward 2, Westchester, New York
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1906
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Antonio Donofrio 42
Cearmela Donofrio 36
Florence D Donofrio 13
Leonardo Donofrio 9
Louisa Donofrio 4
Ligi Donofrio 1 0/12
Guiseppe Perrotti 29
Donato Daroci 16 (but the right surname on the manifest is Iarocci)

Take a look at 1930 Census.... Donato Iarocci (married with Angelina) was living in New Rochelle, 15 Allard Av. the same address of a D'Onofrio....
Iarocci Donato line 92...

Laura

aiclark

Postby aiclark » 16 Oct 2014, 20:26

Thanks all! I apologize for getting back to you so late; I got distracted.

That is the correct Donato Iarocci. It confirms information I have on him. I think the D'Onofrios were relatives (cousins?). Donato was sponsored by Francesco Iarocci, I think a half brother, but apparently didn't live with him long. Donato's mother's name was on his WWI service papers, but I couldn't read it. I believe that his sister married a Columbo. I'll have to ask my father again.

My grandfather married Santa (aka Angelina) Spada and had three sons: Matthew, Daniel, and John.

Grandpa died in May 1979.

NAS

Postby NAS » 02 Jan 2015, 13:48

Happy New Year!

Not sure if this relates to the specific family referenced earlier, but my great-grandfather was Nicola Iarocci (born 12/25/1894 in Bonefro, died 06/07/1975 in Conneaut, Ohio); his parents were Domenico & Carolina (Di Marzo) Iarocci, info for whom I do not have. Nick came to Conneaut in 1920 aboard the S.S. Caroline, registering at Ellis Island on December 20. As far as I know, my great-grandfather had at least 2 brothers in Bonefro: Luigi Iarocci (born 1909) and Pasquale Iarocci, and a sister, Santa (Iarocci) Massarelli, who emigrated to Montreal, Quebec, Canada and died there within the last 10 years.

-Nick Sanford
Conneaut, OH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”