Bonefro Campobasso, family name Maucieri, US, Canada and Ita

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Bonefro Campobasso, family name Maucieri, US, Canada and Ita

Postby littleapple » 08 Jul 2007, 21:11

Hello, I have been working on my geneology for some time now and have been fortunate to have known my grandparents as they moved to Canada and I grew up with them. I am now trying to go back in time to my great grandparents and their families.
I know my origins are from Bonefro and have returned there a few times to visit. I am trying to track my great grandfather Gennaro and his family. I know both he and his sister Anna Maria went to New York, Anna Maria stayed and married a Tavone and had family in Rhode Island and New Rochelle, I have information on their families but I don't know if Anna Maria and Gennaro had other brothers or sisters. I know Gennaro took his stepson Julius Lalli to the US and he remained and has his family which we are in touch with. Gennaro has two other children my grandfather and his sister. We believe Gennaro and Anna Maria are the children of Matteo Maucieri and Rosa Martinelli however I am stuck trying to find out if Matteo ever went to New York and if he had brothers and sisters?
Another relative to the family some how is Gianbattista Maucieri who in the US was known as James Maucieri, he lived in Harrison and ran a office where he would help italians obtain passage back to italy. Ican't find any records of him in the US however I did receive an article from another person also tracking info for Bonefro that states he was in Harrison New York.
If anyone has suggestions or ideas of where I could go to next please let me know.
There are a lot of maucieris in the New York, Ohio region andI would love to connect with them and see if there are connections in the family but I am not sure how to go about it. any ideas?
Melina
Chi sa dove, chi sa quando ma con tempo trovera.

Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Bonefro Campobasso, family name Maucieri, US, Canada and

Postby Essgee » 08 Jul 2007, 23:55

Melina......

The civil records from Bonefro should be available at the Family History Library. Go to www.familysearch.org A lot of the people from Molise went to Montreal. In the US, Rhode Island had many of them.

The names you mention are familiar to me. My gggggrandmother was a Tavone from Ripabottoni. But her father was Boneventuro Tavone from Bonefro and died in Ripabottoni in 1815 or so. You can probably connect with others doing research in that town, but to do your own is very fulfilling.

Search for place in the library records and you will get a list of films that are available to rent.

Will check to see if we can find more.

Good Luck..........

littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Postby littleapple » 09 Jul 2007, 13:39

Thank you I had planned to do that, I had a friend email me before about the LDS films. I have the summer off so I thought I would call and see if I can get any into our center and start viewing. Interesting that you know the Tavone name.
I will have to ask my father if he knows where Rippabottoni is, wehave been to bonefro many times and I am hoping to return in the next couple years. Dad went back after the earthquake so it was a bad time to try and get records there, they were under a lot of stress trying to rebuild and save stuff.
We do have many relatives in Montreal however I know most of the ones on my mother's side not my father's.

Thank you for your suggestion, I will check the films. And who knows maybe we will cross each other's geneology lines.
Ciao,
Melina

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 09 Jul 2007, 16:19

Bonefro looks to be about 8 miles as the crow flies, north, northeast of Ripabottoni.

Ripabottoni was really devastated in the Earthquake as well. Lots of destruction but no loss of life, thank goodness.

Now, other things:

In the WWI Records, there is a Michael Maucieri born 14 Jan 1890 in Bonefro, who is a gardner and single. Living at 1327 Bancroft St., Philadelphia, Pa.
Living at the same address and also registered is John Maurcieri, age 29, born 14 Dec, 1888 in St. Elia, Compobass.States he has a child and is married.

In 1920, Michael is living with his father and mother, it apprears in Philadelphia. Here is the census image:
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8571/d ... cenzb7.jpg

Here is the arrival of Giambattista:
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9828 ... arrje4.gif

Go to: http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html This is the Steve Morse site for searching Ellis Island arrivals.
In the search engine, click STARTS WITH and place the letters MA in the box. Then go to Town Name and place Bonefro in that box. Don't fill in anything else. Search and you will get about 99 answers. The first 25 results is what you are interested in. There are a bucneh of "Mancieri" listed...the "u" often looks like an "n" in the scripted records. You will see an arrival for a Matteo among others.

Look at each and see what you find!

Good Luck...

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 09 Jul 2007, 19:51

Giovambattista MAUCIERI age 19( mistaken as Giamballisti Maiccieri ) coming from Bonefro came in USA the Feb 09, 1900-The Furst Bismarck - with wife Giuseppina PORRAZZO age 23, joining nobody,

in travel with her sister Maria Luigia PORRAZZO married FANTETTI and the children Luisa FANTETTI and Pardo Antonio FANTETTI joining Giuseppe FANTETTI in NY ;

Giovambattista previously in USA in the 1899....

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 3871050108

regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 09 Jul 2007, 20:06

1930 United States Federal Census
about James Manciene ( James MAUCIERI ??)
Name: James Manciene
Home in 1930: Harrison, Westchester, New York
Estimated birth year: abt 1880
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Josephine
Race: White

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
James Manciene 50
Josephine Manciene 49
Michil Manciene 27
Clmanton Mancien 25
Concetto Mancien 22
Aulton Mancien 20 (Anthony )
Deacom Johnson 25
Mary Johnson 18

it could be?
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Postby littleapple » 09 Jul 2007, 20:08

Thank you Suanj, I had that information from Ellis Island, I have to go and verify the dates and the ages with the LDS microfilm, as I don't have actual birthdates. But I appreciate your help.
Melina

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 09 Jul 2007, 20:11

littleapple wrote:Thank you Suanj, I had that information from Ellis Island, I have to go and verify the dates and the ages with the LDS microfilm, as I don't have actual birthdates. But I appreciate your help.
Melina

well I don't knew that you already had this info..
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Postby littleapple » 09 Jul 2007, 20:29

I am not fast enough in typing, I was referring to the previous message, I did not have any of the info on James Maucieri, I apprecaite your help, I wasn't trying to say that it was not useful. I am very grateful for all the help in this forum, It is sometimes hard to keep track of all the material and the misspellings.

I thank you very much for your info on James, I will continue to search and record the information you have given me, it very much appears to be similar to him. My father said he thought his wife's name was Bianca, but couldn't remember if that was a last name, first name or even a relatives name, I will show him this info.

Thank you again, I have visted the site on your posting for you and the others, a very interesting site, do you live in Italy? I have been to Bonefro often and I was unaware of Ribbotoni, I have been to Sante Croce, Larino, Termoli, Rotello, Oratino, Campobasso and other places but not there. I have even been to MonteLuogo and Colletorte.
Melina

littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Postby littleapple » 10 Jul 2007, 15:35

I have noticed that many people have been able to provide info for forum seekers with US census data, how do you go about getting that information? Can anyone search for information or do you need to belong to places like ancestry.com?

Melina :?:

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 10 Jul 2007, 16:01

Ancestry is one option, there are also other subscription sites that offer Census data.........
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 10 Jul 2007, 16:14

Here are some sites which offer free census info, however, content will vary...many people transcribe records of interest to them in their own research and then "donate" the transcribed records to free sites so that others may pursue their genealogy records for free.......I try to do this whenever possible, even if it's just an old obituary. :wink:

http://www.censusdiggins.com/census_records.html

http://www.census-online.com/

http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/censuslinks.html

hope this helps some,
wldspirit

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 10 Jul 2007, 17:00

Melina,

Many library systems have a subscription to Ancestry which patrons can access at a branch location with a valid library card. Likewise, some library systems subscribe to Heritage Quest which can be remotely accessed via the library's website using a library card. Best bet is to give your local library a call and see what's available.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Postby littleapple » 10 Jul 2007, 19:26

Thank you Wldspirit and Biff, I appreciate your help, I will check out the links and the library. I had a membership at Ancestry for awhile but I was working full time, consulting and had my family to keep me busy so it wasn't worth the money at that time. I will have to check this out and see what I can do.
Melina
You guys are all great here! I can't believe how much help I am getting.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 10 Jul 2007, 23:03

Just my opinion....... :lol: But I prefer HeritageQuest to Ancestry, at least for the census info.......They have better search options than Ancestry....
wldspirit

Return to “Italian Genealogy”