Dini Family, Cune

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
17 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Dini Family, Cune

Postby imoen » 08 Jul 2007, 21:27

8O Searching for info on Dini family of Cune, Borgo a Mozzano. Alberto Dini left Cune in about 1870 and settled in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Alberto Dini's father was Clemente Dini and his mother was Maria Barsanti. Alberto was married to Maria Christina Fortuna Fazzi and had at least two sons from this marriage, who stayed and were raised in Cune/ Borgo a Mozzano. He left Italy and went to Montreal, where he had a mistress named Malvina Croiseau dit la Rose, with whom he had many more children. I am a decendant of this union. Alberto Dini travelled back and forth between Italy and Montreal, and his sons visited him in Montreal. He was a great benefactor of the village of Cune, sending back money and providing various things for family/ the village. Anyone related to any Dini family members from Borgo a Mozzano or Cune? :?:
imoen

Re: Dini Family, Cune

Postby Fazzi » 24 Aug 2007, 22:18

imoen wrote:8O Searching for info on Dini family of Cune, Borgo a Mozzano. Alberto Dini left Cune in about 1870 and settled in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Alberto Dini's father was Clemente Dini and his mother was Maria Barsanti. Alberto was married to Maria Christina Fortuna Fazzi and had at least two sons from this marriage, who stayed and were raised in Cune/ Borgo a Mozzano. He left Italy and went to Montreal, where he had a mistress named Malvina Croiseau dit la Rose, with whom he had many more children. I am a decendant of this union. Alberto Dini travelled back and forth between Italy and Montreal, and his sons visited him in Montreal. He was a great benefactor of the village of Cune, sending back money and providing various things for family/ the village. Anyone related to any Dini family members from Borgo a Mozzano or Cune? ?

Hi Imoen,

I did extensive research on Cune and the Cunesi since my great-grandfather came from Cune to The Netherlands in 1870. But I am also very interested in the story of Alberto Dini from Cune. I hope we can help each other complete the story.
Greetings from a Dutch Fazzi.
Fazzi

Postby nuccia » 25 Aug 2007, 06:13

Thought I would post this although you might already have seen it..

Canadian Immigrant Records, Part One
about Alberto DINI
Name: Alberto DINI
Year of Record: 1901
Source/Event: 1901 Census of Canada: Province of Quebec (Extraction of those who where born outside of Canada and have given a year of immigration to Canada)
Comments: immigrated to Canada in 1870
Reference: National Archives of Canada: Microfilm Reel No. T-6536, District 177 - Montreal City, Sub-District B17 - St. Louis Ward, page 9

1901 Census of Canada
about Alberto Dini
Name: Alberto Dini
Marital Status: Married
Birth Date: 21 Apr 1850
Birthplace: Italie
Relation to Head of House: Chef (Head)
Spouse's name: Malvina
Immigration Year: 1870
Racial or Tribal Origin: Italienne
Nationality: Canadienne (Canadian)
Religion: Roman Catholic
Province: Quebec
DISTRICT: Montréal (City/Cité)
District Number: 177
Sub-District: Montréal (City/Cité) Saint-Louis (Ward/Quartier)
Sub-District Number: B-17
Family Number: 92
Page: 9
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Alberto Dini 50
Malvina Dini 41
Petronella Dini 20
Hambert Dini 18
Victor Dini 15
Eveline Dini 11
Amedè Dini 9
Albert Dini 7
Alphonse Dini 5
Johny Dini 4
Marie Jeamie Dini 2
Pierre Dini 38
Virgil Dini 18

1901 Canadian Census
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 25 Aug 2007, 06:19

You're right about making a few trips..her are some manifests for him..

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Mr Alberto Dini
Name: Mr Alberto Dini
Arrival Date: 17 Nov 1892
Estimated birth year: abt 1850
Port of Departure: Genoa, Italy
Ship Name: Fulda
Search Ship Database: View the Fulda in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 9
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_599

about Mr Alberto Dini
Arrival Date: 29 Apr 1903
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Konig Albert
Search Ship Database: View the Konig Albert in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Line: 30
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_348
Page Number: 57

about Mr Alberto Dini
Arrival Date: 29 Apr 1903
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Konig Albert
Search Ship Database: View the Konig Albert in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Line: 30
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_348
Page Number: 57

I provided these as reference only. I do realize you may have already seen them and they are available on http://www.stevemorse.org webite if you need to view the actual manifests.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby Fazzi » 26 Aug 2007, 17:37

Hi Nuccia,

Thank you very much for the interesting info that I did not see before.
I searched for Alberto Dini (born in 1850) in the Ellis Island ship manifests but did not find him. And I am not able to see the actual manifests on the New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 because I am not a member of Ancestry.com. Or is there another way to get to see them?
Thanks also for the Census record that I can remember seeing somewhere.
Alberto Dini is an interesting person who was an important padrone responsible for employing hundreds of Italian labourers for the Canadian Pacific railway. His strongest competitor in the business was the infamous Antonio Cordasco who was immensely rich and powerful.

Ciao,
Fazzi
Fazzi

Postby Edmondo » 26 Aug 2007, 17:47

Hi Fazzi, long time no see!
Tandem fit surculus arbor
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 27 Aug 2007, 00:20

Hi Fazzi,

I'm glad you found these manifests useful. I will be happy to link them for you. I have had my PC out for repairs so I just need to take care of a few things first and then I can do it.

Be back soon... :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 27 Aug 2007, 00:34

Before I link the manifests, I found this and thought I would post it in case you hadn't seen it..

You have saved this record to My Ancestry (Shoebox).
You have saved this record to My Ancestry (People I'm Looking For).
This record has been added to your shoebox.
Canadian Soldiers of World War I, 1914-1918
about Albert Dini
Name: Albert Dini
Residence: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Birth Date: 19 Jan 1894
Birth Location: Montreal, Canada
Relative: Mrs Malvina Dini
Relationship: Mother
Regiment Number: 3170083

Canadian Soldiers of WW1
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 27 Aug 2007, 01:12

Here are the links in order as I posted the manifests..

1892 Manifest

I'll post the rest in a bit. Am using Internet Explorer since I haven't downloaded Mozilla Firefox yet and I can't stand it. Its so slow!

I'll post the rest once I've downloaded my other browser.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 27 Aug 2007, 07:34

Sorry Fazzi..I gave up last night but I promise to finish linking later toaday when I get home form work. Most of the images need to be re sized for you to view them best and I just couldn't seem to get them to do what I wanted last night. :(
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby Fazzi » 28 Aug 2007, 17:46

Hi Nuccia,

Thanks for your efforts.
The WW1 info I already did receive years ago. But thanks anyway.
I am sorry to say that the 1892 manifest is very hard to read. Is there a bigger version available? But don’t bother sending them if there is no more info on it than what you already gave me.
But remember the name Alberto Dini for the future I would like to know more about him.

Greetings,
Fazzi
Fazzi

Postby Natfilippini » 20 Aug 2013, 13:59

Alberto may be my great grandmothers' brother. Her name was Chiusa Dini born about 1850 married to Gigli Fancelli. Her daughter, Zaira Filippini emigrated to the USA in 1920 with her husband and three children.
Natfilippini

Postby imoen » 21 Aug 2013, 00:49

Natfilippini wrote:Alberto may be my great grandmothers' brother. Her name was Chiusa Dini born about 1850 married to Gigli Fancelli. Her daughter, Zaira Filippini emigrated to the USA in 1920 with her husband and three children.

Hello,

Alberto Dini was born April 1850 to Clemente Dini(born in Cune) and Maria Barsanti(born in Gioviano). Do you know if your ancestor, Chiusa Dini, was born in Cune also? If so, it's a very tiny village and they would no doubt be related. The siblings I have for Alberto Dini are Francesco, Massimo, Raffaele, Petronilla, Pietro, & Settimo.

Regards,
Erin
imoen

Postby Natfilippini » 21 Aug 2013, 02:17

Yes, Chiusa was born in Cune. I have no knowledge of her siblings. I have been to Cune several times. On one occasion while visiting, I was taken to my grandfather Filippini's ancestral home midway between Borgo a Mozzano and Cune. It was a small farm. The owner was a professor. He had done extensive renovations to the home. He showed me a roof tile that was removed from the roof of the home that was signed by Nicola Dini dated from the sixteenth century. As you know Cune is small and records are difficult to come by. If ever I return, I do intend to further research my lineage.
Natfilippini

Postby imoen » 21 Aug 2013, 12:07

Hello,

Wow it must have been really interesting to see that tile. From what we've found, the Dini family have been in Cune and the general surrounding area for a very long time.
We were in Cune last year and were fortunate enough to have met the priest from the little church there. He took us to the archives and spent about an hour or so going through records and translating for us. His help was invaluable, and it was only thanks to him that we were able to obtain more records going back into the 1700s. There are many more records even older, which maybe we will be able to access next time we're there.
I have a tree on ancestry.com which shows a lot of the info I have. If you send me an email address I can invite you to view it.
imoen

Next

17 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Return to Italian Genealogy