Any info?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
hkusait

Any info?

Postby hkusait » 09 Jul 2007, 15:06

Hello,

This is my first time posting anything on this website. I am new to the whole genealogy thing, and this is actually the first time I've been interested in learning about my Italian heritage. My Grandmother was born in New York, and her Mother died when she was about 2. Her Father was born in Italy, and he lived until 1971. My Grandmother is getting older now, (she's 75), and she is planning to go to Italy next summer for the first time. I am also planning to make the trip, and I'm hoping to find out any information about her Father, and whether we have any distant relatives still over there. Anyone who could give me pointers or hints on how to go about getting any information about my Great Grandfather would be greatly appreciated. Here is the information about him that I do know...

Name: Vincenzo Cherubino
Birthday: July 5, 1886
Died: November 1, 1971 (in Pleasantville, NY)
Originally from Reggio Calabria (I don't know the town/comune)
Married Jenny Zaffino/Zuffino? (Born in Bridgeport, CT I think: She died on Feb 13, 1934/35?)

I don't know when my Great Grandfather came over, but it was before 1930. Again, any help is greatly appreciated. I want my Grandmother to have a trip that she will remeber for the rest of her life, and going to her Father's hometown would just be spectacular. Thanks in advance.

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Any info?

Postby ricbru » 09 Jul 2007, 15:20

Hello,
this could be him

Vincenzo Cherubino from Anoia (province of Reggio Calabria)

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2519090690

Since you have his date of birth, you can request his birth record to

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Cananzi
CAP 89020
Anoia (RC)
Italy

you can also find his military record and military draft card to

Archivio di Stato di Reggio Calabria

http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... ALABRIA%22

I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo

hkusait

Postby hkusait » 10 Jul 2007, 06:08

Thank you so much. I am now on my way.

hkusait

Which sources are best?

Postby hkusait » 11 Jul 2007, 00:33

Can anyone tell me what online sources are the best for researching your genealogy? There are a lot of sites, and I obviously want to get my money's worth. Ancestry.com seems to have a lot of information. Is there anything better? Also, the ellis island records cost I believe US$45 to gain access. Can anyone advise if this is worth the money? Thanks a lot.

Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Staci4 » 11 Jul 2007, 01:08

You can do quite a bit of free stuff on Ellis Island before paying. Try it out and then see if you want more info (to pay for it).

I am a beginner on the web search for genealogy. Ancestry.com has helped A LOT with my US family but any farther and this place right here (For my Italian peeps ) have been a true Godsend!

My mothers side has done their own research (Yes I have german in me, and english, hehe) but for my fathers side it is just my father and now me. So I am struggling through this crazy maze of genealogy :D

Good luck!! I have found if you just randomly search through sites then sometimes you come up with neat info.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”