CORRADO

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
angeleyes2103

CORRADO

Post by angeleyes2103 »

does anybody know ANYTHING about the surname Corrado?
mjones
Veteran
Veteran

Re: CORRADO

Post by mjones »

CORRADO more information please!!

WHO?
WHAT?
WHEN?
WHERE?

merjones
FERRI - PROVENZANO - GUADAGNI - MARINESI - LARUSSA
angeleyes2103

Post by angeleyes2103 »

i dont know... just like the orgin of where in italy my family is from... and if it means anything... i dont really know much about my history
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Hi Angel.......welcome to ItalianGenealogy!!
If you are interested in having your family traced back to Italy, then we would need the name of the immigrant ancestor, in which US state did they live? What was the name of his/her spouse? Children? And any birthdates or even deathdates you may have...thru a variety of search methods we can discover the ship manifest which may reveal the exact town of origin in Italy.

But for starters.......the following site will show you the surname distribution in Italy:

http://www.gens.labo.net/

cognome = surname
click on the red arrow......now you see the map of Italy and how popular or not so popular your surname is.

wldspirit :wink:

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
angeleyes2103

Post by angeleyes2103 »

i dont think my family came to the US thou.. it might have been straight to Canada.. but i can find out
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

What would you like to know? hehehe

actaully there is a lot of them it must be like smith or brown and it seems to me, though I am no expert that it is a first name more often than not....
good luck
Barb1951

Re: CORRADO & NAPOLI

Post by Barb1951 »

Hello. I just joined this site today and cannot believe I have found a connection already. My name is Barbara Milligan. My great grandfather was Paulo Napoli from Calabria, Allessandria del Carretto, born 1878, arrived USA 1900, single. I have the manifest document from the ship he came on and the US census' thereafter, but know NOTHING about him before 1900. He lists his last residence as Alessandro, but there are now 3 that I find. I am assuming, since he always said he was Calabriase, that it is Allessandria del Carretto. I do not know his parents names, but he did name his first born son Joseph in the US. So if he stuck with Italian tradition, his father would have been Joseph or Guiseppe Napoli. His first daughter was Isabella, so his mother would have been Isabella Napoli. But there could have been babies that died and then these would not have been firstborns.

Paulo, Paul, married Rose Corrado, probably when she was 15, in about 1906. They had their first child in 1907, Joseph. I traced Rose to the boat she came on, if I have the correct Rosa. The age is correct. She lived in Calabrria, Oriolo, and left Italy from Genova, which is far from her home town, so I do not know why she didn't embark from Naples like my grandfather did. Assuming I have this correct, according to records, she sailed with her brother, Guiseppe, then 15, and sister Filomena, age 12. The ship manifest states they are meeting their father in Chicago, but his first name is not given, may be an occupation that looks like bailor. It does not mention a mother. My husband says, since the father came ahead, the children could have been staying with relatives up north.

If you know anything about these ancestors, please write back. I don't know where to start with researching the backgrounds from Italy.

Thanks,
Barbara
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

Barbara,

Do you know what comune your family came from, that is important. I am in chicago and have seen in the recrods other Joseph Corrado, as that is my father's name too. The best place to start as it seems you have is talking to people in the family. I have found it usefull to look at the chruch records.

It just so happens that I have a appointment to view the archives monday at 9:30. If want me to look at some marriage records then let me know. If you don't know the parish, give me the address and I can guess with parish they were in.

Jon
Barb1951

Post by Barb1951 »

Jon,

I am so sorry I did not get back on this site until now. I do not know the parish. All I know is what is listed on the ship manifest as Alessandro and I know he was from Calabria. Since my grandmother (Rose Corrado) listed her city as Oriolo, I think he was from Alessandro del Carretto, which is very close to Oriolo.

Thx
Barbara
MaxIT

Post by MaxIT »

Corrado or Currado is common in the center of calabria.
Tell me your ancestor and the town of origin.

MaxIt
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

Corrado
English translation/equivalent: Conrad

Origin: Derived from Germanic name Konrad composed from kuoni- &audacious, daring" and radha- "assembly, council," therefore meaning "ardent councilman."

j........................
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Barb,

The manifest you have shows three children only, if you look at the note about their names it says with JJ #30 which means go backwards a few pages and at the bottom, line 30 is Francesco D' Blia? go to see his brother-in-law Corrado and under his name you'll see KK 1, 2 & 3 which means the kids. And by their father the word is Tailor. Here is the link of the person the 3 kids were traveling with. Has to be their uncle. He would more than likely be a brother to Rosa's mother which makes her maiden name D' Blia. Maybe someone else can look at the spelling of the name and see what they think it might be.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0002

Hope this is useful.

Regards,

Elizabeth
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the right spelling is D'Elia.. hoping helpful, regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

abt Rosa:
1900 United States Federal Census
about Rosa Currato
Name: Rosa Currato (Corrado)
Home in 1900: Chicago Ward 19, Cook, Illinois
Estimated birth year: abt 1889
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to head-of-house: Daughter
Father's name: Francesco
Mother's name: Maria A
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1896

Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Francesco Currato 42
Maria A Currato 35
Peppino Currato 15 (Giuseppe/Joseph; Peppino is Giuseppe diminutive)
Filomena Currato 13
Rosa Currato 11
Anna W Currato 2
Salvatore Currato 11.12

Francesco Dales 30

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/1844/rosalc3.jpg
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH