HELP with Pirozzo (Pirozzi) Family Search

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
turnerbk

HELP with Pirozzo (Pirozzi) Family Search

Postby turnerbk » 24 Jul 2007, 14:43

I'm new to this and I was pleased to find alot of information on the Ellis Island Search site and Manifest pages.

This is what I know so far.

Liberato (Liborato) Pirozzo (Pirozzi) and his wife Marie Vangone arrived in New York (My Great GrandParents) June 26, 1894. With Daughter Carmela (no age listed), I believe she is only a couple of months old.

As some point, my Great GrandMother Marie Vangone returns to Boscoreale Italy. She then returns to New York on June 22, 1898 with Daughter Carmela, age - 5 and son Domenico (My Grandfather) age -3. (She had to be pregnant prior to her return to Italy, both Carmela and Domenico were born in Italy, how can I get birth certificates on them?) The Ellis Island manifest shows they are going to live with Husband/Father Liberato Pirozzo. I can't make out the street address on the manifest. It says 14th Street something?

I found a 1920 Census in New York with Liberato age - 53 and Marie age - 48, Dominic age 24 and 4 more children born in New York.

This is where I get confused and have questions I can't seem to find the answer to.

1 - I can't find Carmela Pirozzi. My Mother never heard her father speak of a sister Carmela. She doesn't show on the 1920 Census where she would be age 25. I can only conclude that she died betweeh 1889-1920 or she got married. I checked 1910 Federal Census and I can't find any of the family members. I have check death certificates and marriage certificates but I come up blank. I have checked this through Ancestry.Com and I can't figure out where to turn next. Can anyone help?

2 - On the 1920 Census it shows Manhattan Assembly District 20, New York, New York. How do I find out where in New York this actually is?

3 - Based on the Ship Manifests, the Pirozzi and Vangone families come from Boscoreale, Italy. From what I read, this town was covered by the Mt. Veseuvus erruptions and years later, stone was cut through and uncovered. This is ironic. Liberator Pirozzi shows his occupation on the Ships Manifest as a stonebreaker. My GrandFather, Dominic Pirozzo was a stonecarver by trade. He carved many of the sculptures that are in St. Patricks Catherdral in New York, NY. This must have been a traited he learned from his father since he was only 3yrs old when he came to the states. If anyone can share any information about Boscoreale, Italy, I would greatly appreciate it.

4 - Anyone with any information about the Vangone and Pirozzi families from Boscoreale Italy, please respond to the eMail.

Thank you everyone for any help you can provide.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: HELP with Pirozzo (Pirozzi) Family Search

Postby suanj » 24 Jul 2007, 15:52

well: Maria Vangone and the other children( no Carmela ) made another trip in 1909 and the italian contact was Simone vangone father in Via dei Comizi( address) Boscoreale ; the second page of ship manifest is blank

Name: Maria Vangone
Arrival Date: 15 Nov 1909
Estimated birth year: abt 1871
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Perugia
Search Ship Database: Search the Perugia in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 5

0005. Vangone, Maria F 38y M american Boscoreale, Italy
0006. Perozzi, Domenico M 14y S american Boscoreale, Italy
0007. Perozzi, Filomena F 5y S american Boscoreale, Italy
0008. Perozzi, Colomba F 3y S american Boscoreale, Italy
0009. Perozzi, Antonio Simone M 10y S american Boscoreale, Italy

0010. Patri, Antonio M 8y S american Boscoreale, Italy
0011. Patri, Carlo Simone M 10y S american Boscoreale, Italy
0012. Perozzi, Carlo M 8y S american Boscoreale, Italy

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0212%2ETIF

the address on 1898 ship's manifest it is very hard for reading....

I hope of to find 1900/10 censuses
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 24 Jul 2007, 16:14

I believe Carmela decesead between 1900/1909

1900 census (PROBABLE) the surname is inverted with first name but sure this census is abt a Liberato Pirozzo(Pirozzi) in Manhattan http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1016 ... zzoaf7.jpg
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 24 Jul 2007, 16:30

the same error is in 1910 census and finally we can say that Carmela seem living (!); (so the baby listed in 1900 census and born in 1894 is Carmela and transcribed as Anna.. really the writing is most illegible):
1910 census page 1

1910 census page 2
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 24 Jul 2007, 19:31

Looks to me like the children's names are Emily, Dominic (listed as a daughter) Charlie, Fannie, Colomba and Antonia. Probably Charlie is Carlo, Antonia is Antonio, Fannie is Filomina (most women americanized this name, my aunt became Florence or Flo). Can't help you with the ages, it looks like the ink ran.

Sorry i was looking in the wrong column. Emily 18, Dominic 15, Charlie 11, Fannie 9, Colomba 6, and Antonia(o) 4.

turnerbk

Postby turnerbk » 25 Jul 2007, 13:38

First, I want to thank Suanj and Misbris for you help. I'm going to check and confirm all of the information you provided. I'm sure it will add additional questions.

I also want to say, without sounding mushy.... This is a very emotional process. I find myself picturing my Grandfather at 3yrs old traveling with my Great Grandmother accross an ocean to New York. How overwhelmed my Great Grandmother must have been.

Thanks again for helping me and I'm sure I talk to you again.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”