What did it cost to travel on these Ships from Italy to NY?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
turnerbk

What did it cost to travel on these Ships from Italy to NY?

Postby turnerbk » 25 Jul 2007, 13:45

The more I learn about my family, the more impressed I am with My Great Grandmother. So far it appears that she first came to NY with my Great Grandfather, then went back to Italy.

She returned to NY again a couple of years later with her children, then went back to Italy again.

She returned to NY again a couple of years later with her children and what appears to be her neices and nephews.

I'm puzzled on how this family was able to afford so many trips back and forth.

I have a couple of quetions.

What did it cost to make these trips?

Are their manifest for the ships leaving the NY harbor and returning to Italy? I'm trying to understand the timeline of how long she stayed before going back to Italy each time. I have found 3 journeys from 1894 to 1900.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Re: What did it cost to travel on these Ships from Italy to

Postby denman922 » 25 Jul 2007, 19:24

This is a very good site for steamship research>

http://www.steamships.org/

What part of Italy were your ancestors from?

The part of my family from Belluno came over several times, also.
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ

turnerbk

Postby turnerbk » 25 Jul 2007, 20:21

Thank you for the link.

So far, we have found the Pirozzo and Vagone family came from Boscoreale.

I'll update this post if I find information about the cost and ships from the New York harbor back to the Naples Harbor.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 26 Jul 2007, 01:34

This site has a copy of a travel contract coming from Italy, this may give you some idea of cost.......I believe there are four pages total.
http://www.geocities.com/bigpomian/transat/intro.html
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

daenamousso
Rookie
Rookie

Postby daenamousso » 30 Jul 2007, 15:07

I'm not sure how much it cost to travel then, but I know that one of my great-grandfathers worked for 7 years to save enough for passage for my great-grandmother and my great aunt.

I have found out that The US did not keep records of out going passangers, and no records were kept on passengers who left Italy. You might check the Archival office for the province, they may have a record of a passport application. My great grandfather came between 1909-1911 (according to his passport, but I cannot find his entry mainfest. I know he was here in 1911 when his brother came to stay with him...I did find his brother's manifest) and then he left and was drafted into the Italian Army for WWI. He returned in 1920, with his passage being paid by the Italian government.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”