Success at Comune di Salerno??

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jessicaitalia

Success at Comune di Salerno??

Post by jessicaitalia »

Hello, I am having a heck of a time getting my great-grandparents birth certificates from the Comune di Salerno. I have asked once in 2006 and then again this June of 2007.

Has anyone had any success with this Comune or can give any advice? It is the capital city of the Province of Salerno.

Thank you, Jessica
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Re: Success at Comune di Salerno??

Post by Poipuo4 »

Hi, Jessica, I know this is not totally on point, but I have had great success with Sarno, which is in the province of Salerno. I know that is not what you are asking though, LOL. Did you give them the correct birth dates for your great grandparents? Did you give them the correct birth year? Did you include an offer to pay for the certificate, a self addressed envelope and/or an international reply coupon? Did you include a copy of your license/photo i.d.? These may be some things that are preventing a swift reply.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Hi Jessicaitalia,

Here's a website with form letters:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

Here are a few suggestions.

1. Write in Italian. Also check the comune address in 2 different ways.
2. Include an self-addressed envelope but no money or postage coupons photo id etc unless asked to do so.
3. Use the "follow-up" letter (form letter). Send it in a way that lets you know it has been received, ie. has a tracking number and signature of recipient. I like Fedex International but they are expensive. I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives for proof of receipt but I cannot advise.
4. Once 30 days or so has gone by with no answer, write to the Mayor & enclose a copy of evidence that the letter was received & a copy of the "follow-up" letter. With Fedex you can get a copy of the signature of the person who signed for it--at least for domestic shipments! Ask if this is available for international.

Good luck. Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
jessicaitalia

Post by jessicaitalia »

Thanks for your advice, I did do all of those things! It's frustrating :)

I did receive their marriage certificate, but I had to pay someone else $100 to get that. I even made a copy of their marriage certificate and enclosed that with the birth certificate request in hopes that it would help them.

I guess I will wait another month and send that letter to the mayor. I have their fax numbers but they don't seem to work after Italian business time, which is something like 3 a.m. for us :)
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Who did you pay the $100 to? Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi