Intriguing Italian history late18th/early 19thcenturyAmerica

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Intriguing Italian history late18th/early 19thcenturyAmerica

Postby denman922 » 31 Jul 2007, 03:05

A newspaper article from the "News of the Highlands", a newspaper in the Highland Falls,West Point military academy area of New York state. This article appeared in 1907. It is titled: " Was it a Lynching following a Robbery?" Some of the text and grammar used by the editor is somewhat humorous.

By denman922 at 2007-07-30

I have done extensive research on my family and where they lived in America. I am writing down everything I have uncovered, and everything I have heard from my relatives about my ancestors. In my case, in my family, I have something that helps a great deal. All of my family came from small towns in Italy and and first moved to small towns in America.

So, I have reserched both my maternal and paternal families.

On my paternal side, my fathers family came to America, moved to Wilkes-Barre, Pa then from there to Astoria,Queens,NY. They lived simple, uneventful lives with exposure to nothing different than the average Italian of the period would be exposed to.

On my mothers side however, everything that could possibly go wrong, did. I have 1 murder, 1 kidnapping, 1 execution by the Nazi's, three or four deaths on the job, 5 Ellis Island detentions, and several other very unusual stories. After learning all of this, I decided to write a book about it, dramatize what I have learned, so that my family can learn, what our ancestors went through back in the "old country" and what they dealt with when they came to America.

Well, from what I have discovered, Italians in this country, being both Italian and Catholic, had it very tough. And in my research, I have found several newspaper articles that reflect this. I am posting these articles for those who were not aware of what our ancestors were subject to upon arrival in America.
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ

Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Intriguing Italian history late18th/early 19thcenturyAme

Postby Biff83 » 31 Jul 2007, 12:39

Dennis,

Between 1885 and 1915, fifty Italians were lynched in the states of Lousianna, Mississippi, Florida, Colorado, Kentucky, Illinois, Washington and New York.
Linciati, Lynchings of Italians in America

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Postby denman922 » 31 Jul 2007, 12:58

Thats correct Biff. Actually, the numbers are much higher.

This is another one, though this one is not humorous. This one is from 1892. Several sicilians were charged with killing the Chief of Police in New Orleans. They were brought to trial and found not guilty. The innocent men were not immediately released, they were brought back to the jail and held for some unknown reason, possibly for thier own protection? An angry mob formed outside the jail, then stormed the jail, shot 9 sicilian men in thier cells, then took two more outside to be hanged. Sicilian Men uninvolved with the accussed were killed also.

In America, this is the record number of individuals lynched at one time.

I have read that up until about the 1920's, it was more common for italians and catholics to be lynched rather than blacks.

By denman922 at 2007-07-31

During and after the trial, crimes against italians happened quite frequently. This incident happened in nearby Jackson, Mississippi, three days before the verdict was read in New Orleans.

Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ

Natalie1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Natalie1 » 31 Jul 2007, 12:58

Denman,
It is a good idea to post the articles. As you said, not everyone is aware what our ancestors went through :cry: . Thank you.
Natalie

denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Postby denman922 » 31 Jul 2007, 13:23

This editorial commentary appeared in newspapers in 1906. There was negativity expressed towards italians for coming here, working, saving thier money, then taking it home with them or sending money home to thier families.

I added an article/image to my previous post above, also

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 31 Jul 2007, 13:47

The New Orleans lynchings is a well known story, of which a movie has been made.
I believe the name of the movie is "Vendetta" with Christopher Walken.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 31 Jul 2007, 13:51

This site aims to promote our Italian heritage and the great contributions by Italians to this country:

http://home.earthlink.net/~31italians/

a worthwhile project!!
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Postby denman922 » 02 Aug 2007, 12:37

These next three incidents all happened within two days of each other in 1921.

By denman922 at 2007-08-02
The minister was later found NOT Guilty. It was later discovered that the minister was a member of the Klan, his defense was paid for by the Klan, 4 of his five attorneys were Klan members, as was the judge.

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby JamesBianco » 02 Aug 2007, 13:13

denman922 wrote:These next three incidents all happened within two days of each other in 1921.

By denman922

I wonder what happened to The Rev.'s daughter and Gussman her new husband. Such an awful tragedy, it is amazing that this sort of thing was allowed to happen in the South.

Here is more on this story...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Coyle

denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Postby denman922 » 02 Aug 2007, 13:28

I found that article by accident while searching for info on Sacco and Vanzetti.

After reading that article, I researched it a little further. Father Coyle would hang around the courthouse and conduct a simple marriage ceremony for people wanting to be married. The methodist girl and catholic boy went to the courthouse cause she knew her father would not marry them. This was unknown to Father Coyle. When Rev. Stephenson learned what happened, he marched over to to the Rectory of St. Pauls and shot Father Coyle as he read a book on the front porch.

I didn't read any further as to what happened to the newlyweds.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”